Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's still talking about potential revenues over time - there's nothing there about revenue per annum which is the crucial point.

As I keep saying - oil is not going to run out soon. The issue is that production has fallen particulatly as the cost of extraction has risen 5-fold - that's why investment is at high - focussed in 4 medium fields and nowhere else. Irrrespective of more additional finds we can't extract oil fast enough - not unless there is a major technological breakthrough.

Also whilst I believe it is absolutely correct to create a Scottish Oil Fund I just can't see when or how when the SG plans to not only spend oil revenues in the first 3 years of government but have additional borrowing to increase expenditure by 3% per annum. And that's not taking in to account potential share of national debt - but that's a whole different debate.

I think the SG are tryng to eat their cake and keep it - making the very same mistakes as Westminster. I have also said elsewhere that an iScotland economy could be very successful given the correct policies - I just don't think at the moment that the SG's economic policies are going to be that earth-shattering. As for the alternative - Scottish Labour as the iScotland government - I wouldn't trust them with the grandkids' piggy banks. And I just don't see a serious other alternative emerging.

So you might wonder why I keep banging the same drum? If we were to become independent I want it to work - repeating past mistakes needs to be avoided.

Norway had an Oil Fund for ten years before they put any money into it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like BP will not get a new contract from the SG.

Not if Big Bob, keeps spinning a line they dont want to hear eh!?

''The opportunities today are smaller and more challenging to develop than in the past. We also face the challenges of extending the productive life of existing assets and managing the future costs of decommissioning.

‘Much of this activity requires fiscal support to be economic, and future long-term investments require fiscal stability and certainty.

‘Our business invests for decades into the future. It is important our plans are based on a realistic view of the North Sea’s future potential and the challenges the industry faces in continuing to operate here.

‘As a major investor in Scotland – now and into the future – BP believes that the future prospects for the North Sea are best served by maintaining the existing capacity and integrity of the United Kingdom.’

Not if Big Bob, keeps spinning a line they dont want to hear eh!?

''The opportunities today are smaller and more challenging to develop than in the past. We also face the challenges of extending the productive life of existing assets and managing the future costs of decommissioning.

Much of this activity requires fiscal support to be economic, and future long-term investments require fiscal stability and certainty.

Our business invests for decades into the future. It is important our plans are based on a realistic view of the North Seas future potential and the challenges the industry faces in continuing to operate here.

As a major investor in Scotland now and into the future BP believes that the future prospects for the North Sea are best served by maintaining the existing capacity and integrity of the United Kingdom.

Only a gullible idiot could fail to see the link between BP Bob's comments and the all out co-ordinated propaganda attack we have been subjected too in the last couple of days.

Oh. I forgot.....

The SG will be honouring all UK contracts iirc.

If I were the SG I would f**k them over for their comments today. I would demand a publically owned oil company, a la statoil in Norway.

But then I'm a spiteful p***k. Very much like BTUKOK.

Only a gullible idiot could fail to see the link between BP Bob's comments and the all out co-ordinated propaganda attack we have been subjected too in the last couple of days.

Oh. I forgot.....

and equally only a gullible idiot would stick his head in the sand after wailing 'it's not true' 'its not true' !! ' there's f*ckin loads of oil and its all ours'

I think the view of the CEO of BP carries a little more credibility than yours.

and equally only a gullible idiot would stick his head in the sand after wailing 'it's not true' 'its not true' !! ' there's f*ckin loads of oil and its all ours'

I think the view of the CEO of BP carries a little more credibility than yours.

Step back for a second and have a think why the CEO of BO is taking that stance? And Sir Ian Wood. And anyone else who has a vested interest in the North Sea.

They're making a fucking packet just now, so why change?

It's funny how No voters don't listen to respected industry figures like Professor Alex Kemp and Professor Sir Donald Mackay who have no vested interest and have no such fears.

No voters = blindfolded and gullible.

Step back for a second and have a think why the CEO of BO is taking that stance? And Sir Ian Wood. And anyone else who has a vested interest in the North Sea.

They're making a fucking packet just now, so why change?

It's funny how No voters don't listen to respected industry figures like Professor Alex Kemp and Professor Sir Donald Mackay who have no vested interest and have no such fears.

No voters = blindfolded and gullible.

I thought Sir Ian Wood was fully respected by Alex Salmond and the SNP, or has he become just another liar because he doesn't share their view?

I thought Sir Ian Wood was fully respected by Alex Salmond and the SNP, or has he become just another liar because he doesn't share their view?

A guy who moved all his companies to tax havens to avoid paying tax in the UK..yeah I trust his word...NOT

Sir Ian Wood is about as trustworthy as the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

ETA: I see you completely ignored my point about Prof. Alex Kemp and Prof. Sir Donald Mackay.

Typical BTUKOK cherry picking of the facts.

Sir Ian Wood nailed his colours firmly to the Tory mast several weeks back, when he ridiculed his own report written less than 12 months earlier. He did this for the sake of Better Together. A big sacrifice.

His latest opinion was rightly questioned by several academic experts with no axe to grind. Like the CBI he is a busted flush in this campaign and cannot be considered neutral.

No surprise at the timing of his or BP's intervention.

Oh aye..regarding BP Bob. BP have many billions tied up in Scottish interests. Are you not a bit surprised that he has kept a neutral position until today? The day that Cameron Milliband and Clegg came to Scotland and the media launched its save the union campaign. Cranium vacuum-like naivity.

Really...duh...didn't see that one coming...

The above poster has it right. These people are making billions out of our f@ckin resources. Ofcourse the are not going to topple the aipple cairt. Meanwhile folk in this country que at food banks.

One thing I've never understood about the oil debate is why is it considered an asset to the union, but a liability under independence?

Because they think we are a bunch of illiterate fcukwits.

Oh. I forgot.....

BP's CEO has a duty to his shareholders. Only a gullible idiot would think he'd set that aside to join a political propoganda attack.

BP's CEO has a duty to his shareholders. Only a gullible idiot would think he'd set that aside to join a political propoganda attack.

Yes, he has a duty to his shareholders to protect the big f**k off profits they get in the UK!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Possibly the most naive thing I have seen posted on here.

Only a gullible idiot would think that big business does not get involved in politics.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Possibly the most naive thing I have seen posted on here.

Only a gullible idiot would think that big business does not get involved in politics.

Where did I say business does not get involved in politics?

I said the BP CEO has a duty to his shareholders and that he will not set aside that duty to join a political propaganda attack.

Archived