Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

In my defence, I think nodrones is a rather apt description of those who swallow the political and religious mantras of their parents. Live in Glasgow and there is no paucity of such people. Bitter Together is also an entirely fair description of their campaign.

I don't get this attitude. People are quite entitled to vote no if they feel it's in the best interests of Scotland, or their family or whatever rationale they want to use. People may have bought into the fear mongering too much for their own good, but I don't think there's any need for such open hostility.

The focus on the Tories is horrendous. It's as if they are some form of terrible extremists rather than a right of centre mainstream party. It's designed to appeal to the base instincts of the more simple voters.

What amazes me is that BT, who continue to bumble along ineffectively, don't shut Salmond up when he tells Milliband to get back into bed with the Tories. Is this the leader of the same SNP who only got some of their legislative programme through after the 2007 Holyrood election by cosying up to the Tories.

Scottish politicians can be really poor. The media are no better. If I were a journalist I'd love the opportunity to focus on some of the nonsense being spoken by both sides. Most Scottish journalists are either partisan or too frightened to upset one side

FTFY

Is this the leader of the same SNP who only got some of their legislative programme through after the 2007 Holyrood election by cosying up to the Tories.

I didn't understand why Darling didn't go down that road either.

Seemed an obvious open goal.

I didn't understand why Darling didn't go down that road either.

Seemed an obvious open goal.

Maybe that answers the question why the BT campaign has been quite poor. If the leader of it cannot recognise, seize and score with that simple opportunity then how much can you expect from the rest of his team.

It's so shit absolutely no one has repeated it. That says it all really.

Who cares? :lol:

Is it all about popularity on an Internet forum? :bairn:

..but I don't think there's any need for such open hostility.

There is no "hostility" from calling people nodrones. If you genuinely think that people should be brainwashed by their peers into how to vote then fine, I would prefer people to think for themselves.

Maybe that answers the question why the BT campaign has been quite poor. If the leader of it cannot recognise, seize and score with that simple opportunity then how much can you expect from the rest of his team.

BT's campaign has been abysmal from start to finish. There have been clear opportunities to attack without resorting to outright scare stories.

If they actually focussed on the facts and not exaggerations they might be in a better position.

Who cares? :lol:

Is it all about popularity on an Internet forum? :bairn:

There is no "hostility" from calling people nodrones. If you genuinely think that people should be brainwashed by their peers into how to vote then fine, I would prefer people to think for themselves.

Calling people 'nodrones' and their campaign 'Bitter Together' isn't hostile?

I agree that people should go into the vote knowing the information and making their mind up with the full picture, but insulting people really isn't the way to go about it. I've managed to talk a fair few people round to yes now just by reasoned debate and offering articles/links to things that I found useful, but I'm not going to resort to calling them 'no drones' if they don't change their view. It's what this while thing is all about.

To be honest, even if the Labour wing of Better Together had gone on about the SNP having a budget voted through with help from the Conservatives it's hardly a killer blow. Most of the general public would just shrug their shoulders as they can see well known Labour figures getting metaphorical pats on the head from Cameron et al here and now.

Then when in desperation they try stuff like "One Million will lose their jobs" people just laugh and say f**k off.

Calling people 'nodrones' and their campaign 'Bitter Together' isn't hostile?

You would have to be extremely thin skinned to consider that a hostile act.

I agree that people should go into the vote knowing the information and making their mind up with the full picture, but insulting people really isn't the way to go about it.

As I said, nodrones and Bitter Together are not insults, it's a description and one that is apt.

I've managed to talk a fair few people round to yes now just by reasoned debate and offering articles/links to things that I found useful, but I'm not going to resort to calling them 'no drones' if they don't change their view. It's what this while thing is all about.

There is a huge difference between people you speak to face to face and the fucknuggets who post on here.

Edited by Casual Bystander

You would have to be extremely thin skinned to consider that a hostile act.

As I said, nodrones and Bitter Together are not insults, it's a description and one that is apt.

There is a huge difference between people you speak to face to face and the fucknuggets who post on here.

saying that people are bitter and drones is insulting. If you spoke to a no voter and called them a bitter drone (or either or) they'd likely be insulted and less likely to listen to your points. It's detrimental to the Yes campaign to make insulting remarks, regardless of whether you think they're insulting or not.

I appreciate this is different to speaking to people face to face, but it's the kind of attitude that'll just harden people's views in the opposite direction.

Edited by Kyle

saying that people are bitter and drones is insulting. If you spoke to a no voter and called them a bitter drone (or either or) they'd likely be insulted and less likely to listen to your points. It's detrimental to the Yes campaign to make insulting remarks, regardless of whether you think they're insulting or not.

I appreciate this is different to speaking to people face to face, but it's the kind of attitude that'll just harden people's views in the opposite direction.

My brother has made a similar point - from a Yes point of view it just plays right in to the hands of the Murphyistas.

Can't say derogatory names are my thing. It gets you nowhere and is one of saddest things from either side having that bitterness from disagreeing on politics from one another. I still get on just fine with most of my friends who just happen to be no voters. They have their convictions and I have mine.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

To be honest, even if the Labour wing of Better Together had gone on about the SNP having a budget voted through with help from the Conservatives it's hardly a killer blow. Most of the general public would just shrug their shoulders as they can see well known Labour figures getting metaphorical pats on the head from Cameron et al here and now.

Then when in desperation they try stuff like "One Million will lose their jobs" people just laugh and say f**k off.

It's not meant to be a killer blow. If someone accuses you of doing something they have done or are doing themselves then throw it back at them. It won't have anyone changing sides but it may make enough undecided people recognise the hypocrisy of it to make a difference to their campaign. People like to trust their politicians (laughable I know) and a response in kind from Darling would have eroded trust in Salmond at the point he was trying to build it among the undecided. It's so easy.

BT have also handled the the SNP NHS scaremongering really poorly. That's another open goal missed. I saw something the other day during a fleeting visit about Scottish NHS privitisation which makes the SNP look like clear hypocrits. A couple of posts later a No supporter in true BT style gave the Yes side an open goal for deflection. They seized on it. That's guys on a football forum taking a chance, why can't Darling. Wish I could remember which thread it was on now, it was a perfect example of the type of thing BT have been guilty of.

Can't say derogatory names are my thing. The saddest thing from either side is the bitterness from disagreeing on politics from one another. I still get on just fine with most of my friends who just happen to be no voters. They have their convictions and I have mine.

Indeed. I'm sure you've had discussions with them in the past about why you were voting yes and why they're voting no. It doesn't have to resort to being petty and calling people drones.

Curses! Oh, well I am now looking forward to a Johnson/Farage dream ticket to pull us out of the EU, line the pockets of the rich, place anyone "not ethnically British" into internment camps and to brutally crush us rebellious Scots.

Curses indeed. We're going to be crushed and it's all your fault.

Shame on your house and shame on your family.