The role of the media in #indyref

Todders

The media is no more biased against independence than it was against the SNP - no papers supported the SNP aand the SNP won a majority. The presentation of information in media sources will have f**k all impact on the result and anyone that says otherwise is looking for excuses And I would agree that whilst an yes supporter could quite easily claim 'bias' against a yes vote, the no camp can have no such complaints.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about BBC Scotland?

Independence is the biggest political issue facing the country currently and the coverage has a subtle but clear skew towards a No vote. Now the number of folk that are definitely Yes is not a million miles off those that are a definite No (although No obviously has a solid lead at the moment). This referendum will still come down to those undecided and the national, publicly-funded broadcaster has a duty to present the arguments in a fair and balanced manner. I'm not sure the balance is there. You may well disagree - but reading your post I reckon you don't.

Surely you think the BBC is corrupt in a buckled lefty sense anyway - a la Daily Mail readers.

Nobody on here is complaining about bias in any UK-wide coverage as far as I can see - so your argument about the fraction of independence supporters doesn't matter.

There's also no point in the Yes campaign trying to start a commercial media company/newspaper this year. They have less funds and so will target them in a more sensible manner. Its all social media/internet for the Yes campaign. Grassroots shit.

The independence referendum was just an afterthought on the SNP's manifesto for the majority of voters. the real prize was the lack of tuition fees, free prescriptions etc - issues people care more about than an independence referendum

What about it?

No it isn't.

It wasnt an argument. It was a fact. Nationalists number in the hundreds of thousands here. They are a small minority in Scotland itself never mind anywhere else. Why pander to such a minority. Should I get all bent out of shape because not many in the media in Scotland support anything other than leftist ideals? Its just the way it goes.

30% of the population (give or take a few %). Those who are strongly in favour of keeping the union are also in a minority or hadn't you noticed?

The third big section are those that are undecided and over the course of this year they will make up there mind one way or another. The No campaign don't have to win many of them round - the Yes campaign have to win most of them round.

If you don't agree that this is the biggest political issue facing Scotland in 2014 then I don't really know what the f**k to say. You've stumped me with your weirdness.

The independence referendum was just an afterthought on the SNP's manifesto for the majority of voters. the real prize was the lack of tuition fees, free prescriptions etc - issues people care more about than an independence referendum

So is there a bigger political issue facing Scotland this year?

I'd say unemployment, the bedroom tax etc etc are bigger to the majority of Scots rather than the constitutional future of the UK, rightly or wrongly

If only there was a way to see an end to policies such as this being forced on the people of Scotland...

30% of the population (give or take a few %). Those who are strongly in favour of keeping the union are also in a minority or hadn't you noticed?

The third big section are those that are undecided and over the course of this year they will make up there mind one way or another. The No campaign don't have to win many of them round - the Yes campaign have to win most of them round.

If you don't agree that this is the biggest political issue facing Scotland in 2014 then I don't really know what the f**k to say. You've stumped me with your weirdness.

Peoples own personal circumstances are always going to be a bigger deal than constitutional fannying around,their jobs and their own personal security etc. Always has been and always will be. Nothing wierd about it although as a monomaniac you probably won't understand.

If only there was a way to see an end to policies such as this being forced on the people of Scotland...

The people of scotland are just as supportive of welfare change as their chums all across the country. As are the Labour party.

You can vote Labour at the next general election and get rid of the coalition. Thats what the rest of the country is going to do. That will get rid of this policy that you don't like as they have stated they will bin it.

The people of scotland are just as supportive of welfare change as their chums all across the country. As are the Labour party.

You can vote Labour at the next general election and get rid of the coalition. Thats what the rest of the country is going to do. That will get rid of this policy that you don't like as they have stated they will bin it.

That's why a lot of so-called 'buckled lefty's' are voting Yes! The Labour Party are hardly an alternative. They are certainly not a left-wing option anymore and no-one is inspired by the prospect of a Labour govt. in Westminster.

We need something different. I would like to see a new Labour Party (very different from New Labour) in an independent Scotland. I'd also like to see a decent right-wing party (which is a debate going on amongst the Scottish Tories) with something important to contribute to parliamentary politics. The Greens and smaller parties could also chip in and create a healthy, thriving liberal democracy.

I know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

That's why a lot of so-called 'buckled lefty's' are voting Yes! The Labour Party are hardly an alternative. They are certainly not a left-wing option anymore and no-one is inspired by the prospect of a Labour govt. in Westminster.

We need something different. I would like to see a new Labour Party (very different from New Labour) in an independent Scotland. I'd also like to see a decent right-wing party (which is a debate going on amongst the Scottish Tories) with something important to contribute to parliamentary politics. The Greens and smaller parties could also chip in and create a healthy, thriving liberal democracy.

I know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

But not nearly enough. Unlucky.

Still in a small minority all the same although you clowns cnat face that fact. Your problem, not mine.

I would like to see Labour, in all formats, fucking off and dying.

But having said that it's always worth giving something a whirl rather than more or less chucking it and sinking into ahole. It sometimes works for you, it someties doesn't. You arent going to die because of it, the worst that can happen is that you crash and burn. You get up, you try again. Too many people get scared of failing, sometimes it takes several goes before you strike lucky, sometimes you hit a winner right away.

For absent friends....

;)

Nicola Sturgeon doing her bit for Scottish Feminism:

She was asked about an IPSOS/MORI poll showing female voters were less likely to be pro-independence,

This was her response:

"...Women perhaps take longer to make up their minds than men..."

Cool story Nicola, needs more gender stereotypes.

I wonder what Natalie McGarry/Tasmina Sheikh's "Women For Independence" movement have to think about this.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25575594

For absent friends....

;)

And just in case any of the impressionable youngsters are in any doubt. I wasn't talking about politics there. The thread is in the romanian/bulgarian thread where you will see what I was saying in the context of a fuller discussion and not some monomanic's twisting of things to fit his agenda as a useful idiot for a bunch of left wing politicians on a power grab.<_<

A dig at the BBC which is always pleasing.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/01/07/blog-the-bbc-s-political-editor-sounds-like-a-government-min

As a recent Ipsos Mori report showed:

• The public believes the foreign-born population of the UK is 31%. The real figure is 13%.

• The public believes the most common immigrants are refugees or asylum-seekers. In reality, they are the least common.

• The public believes the least common form of immigration is international students. In reality they were the largest category to migrate to the UK in 2011.

The BBC will be holding some TV debates, we'll see how these go. No information on who'll be on the panel yet but

the first one is Tuesday 21st in Greenock, I've applied to be in the audience so hopefully find out soon.

The BBC will be holding some TV debates, we'll see how these go. No information on who'll be on the panel yet but

the first one is Tuesday 21st in Greenock, I've applied to be in the audience so hopefully find out soon.

I hope YES are using all the lightweights, I don't expect the proper debates to take place 'til after the Commonwealth Games.

Are these televised or broadcasted events?

Archived