The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What never happened? Darien? The English blockade. Salmond's brilliant riposte?

"Salmond was embarrassed by someone on Radio Scotland a bit before about this. Apparently he's repeated than numerous times when interviewed, as if it were in any way relevant.

The questioner pointed out that this is the same guy who masterminded the Darien fiasco that at least partly led to the Union in the first place. Salmond just mumbled."

That never happened.

Parpy, Parpy, Parpy. Another wallow in the pool of wrongness.

Parpy - "Darien was blockaded by the English"

Book Parpy has Googled - "Scotland was at this time in a state of economic crisis because of an English blockade which limited its trade with the continent"

I really despair for you Parpy.

Parpy, Parpy, Parpy. Another wallow in the pool of wrongness.

Parpy - "Darien was blockaded by the English"

Book Parpy has Googled - "Scotland was at this time in a state of economic crisis because of an English blockade which limited its trade with the continent"

I really despair for you Parpy.

Jesus, don't be despairing for me when you have so much to despair about, man.

Fair enough, Scotland was blockaded by the English. That makes so much of a difference, doesn't it? I expect this is a humiliating disaster for me or something.

Jesus, don't be despairing for me when you have so much to despair about, man.

Fair enough, Scotland was blockaded by the English. That makes so much of a difference, doesn't it? I expect this is a humiliating disaster for me or something.

To be honest, by your standards, this humiliation barely registers in your Top 10.

http://www.futureukandscotland.ac.uk/blog/currency-reflections-legal-issues

"Economists this morning been making dire predictions as to Scotland ‘defaulting on the debt’ in response to the Scottish government raising debt in response to Osborne’s currency speech. These economists seem to misunderstand the international legal position – but other states and markets in the event of a successful referendum would not. Were Scotland to do what every country would and should – use its negotiations to achieve an equitable solution in the round - then the world would not see a chancy defaulting new nation, but a country sensibly trying to achieve a stable economic future."

So much for the idiot Law Squad.

I think its clear that the debt position of Scotland is legal if we take it or we don't. In a week when Bullying and undemocratic are high on the agenda then its clearly a controversial tactic.

I would suggest that most people would understand if we took a portion of the debt and would see it as unfair if we sought to avoid it. If the yes camp or the SG want to play that card then please lets do it in the open and be clear what the position is. You can imagine people who would want to vote yes but would not be comfortable with us not taking on any share of debt.

It comes back to my point that the Scottish electorate is being simply asked to vote yes or no. It is not being asked to validate the white paper or indeed inform any post yes negotiations. Therefore, on a huge issue with potentially monumental consequence where do the 'Scottish people' get the chance to provide a mandate for such positions ?

The yes camp position is that post yes the 'Scottish people' will decide or have a say on everything so where is our say on the negotiations ?

. Notice how not one yes voter is worried.

Apart from the smart ones (natch, that doesn't include you) who outlined exactly how worried they were on here earlier in the week. Especially as it began to dawn on them that the SNP didn't have jack shit as a fallback plan.

Apart from the smart ones (natch, that doesn't include you) who outlined exactly how worried they were on here earlier in the week. Especially as it began to dawn on them that the SNP didn't have jack shit as a fallback plan.

So you have read the WP then? What about the fiscal commission working group? To say there is no plan B is a complete BT fallacy!

Here is a link for you - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00414366.pdf

So you have read the WP then?

Sorry...what?

Why have the SNP, since their utter arrogance was exposed, and they were humilated on Thursday, failed to indicate anything approaching a Plan C?

All that document sets out are the possible option - unfortunately for the NCC, the idiot SNP have tied themselves to one that isn't in their gift to achieve. Hence why they have been utterly brutalised on the issue.

The arrogance of the SNP is breathtaking. How dare they tell another sovereign state what it should do.

Sorry...what?

Why have the SNP, since their utter arrogance was exposed, and they were humilated on Thursday, failed to indicate anything approaching a Plan C?

All that document sets out are the possible option - unfortunately for the NCC, the idiot SNP have tied themselves to one that isn't in their gift to achieve. Hence why they have been utterly brutalised on the issue.

The arrogance of the SNP is breathtaking. How dare they tell another sovereign state what it should do.

What don't you understand about "have you read the WP then"? Do you think that Scotland is a sovereign state then? The rest of your post is just your opinion & you are blinded by ideological hatred of the SNP.

What don't you understand about "have you read the WP then"? Do you think that Scotland is a sovereign state then? The rest of your post is just your opinion & you are blinded by ideological hatred of the SNP.

1) The White paper sets out the possible options. The SNP have picked only one. Because we can only do one of these. I'm not sure why you are struggling to understand this?

Unfortunately for the NCC and the SNP they've picked an option that requires a foreign country to agree to, something they do not wish to do.

A phenomenally arrogant thing to do. What next? A tour of Europe telling EU countries that they need to accept Scotland into the EU with the same rebate the UK has, or else?

2) No, Scotland is most certainly not a sovereign state - it's trying to become one.

1) The White paper sets out the possible options. The SNP have picked only one. Because we can only do one of these. I'm not sure why you are struggling to understand this?

Unfortunately for the NCC and the SNP they've picked an option that requires a foreign country to agree to, something they do not wish to do.

2) No, Scotland is most certainly not a sovereign state - it's trying to become one.

1). They didn't think that the WG would be childish, imperialistic or mad enough to reject the most sensible option for them economically, FWIW I agree with them on this even although I am personally not sold on the idea of a currency union.

2) Why did you describe them as telling another Sovereign State what to do then?

1). They didn't think that the WG would be childish, imperialistic or mad enough to reject the most sensible option for them economically, FWIW I agree with them on this even although I am personally not sold on the idea of a currency union.

2) Why did you describe them as telling another Sovereign State what to do then?

1) They didn't expect rUK to exercise rUK sovereign rights? Perhaps that's a lesson in trying to tell sovereign states what they should do.

2) Because that's exactly what rUK will be - a foreign power. And it's outrageous for iScotland to try and dictate policy for a completely separate sovereign state. As they have found out.

1) They didn't expect rUK to exercise rUK sovereign rights? Perhaps that's a lesson in trying to tell sovereign states what they should do.

2) Because that's exactly what rUK will be - a foreign power. And it's outrageous for iScotland to try and dictate policy for a completely separate sovereign state. As they have found out.

1) They didn't expect the WG, (there is no rUK yet), to be daft enough to put their citizens in a position of disadvantage for purely ideological reasons & they still don't expect that. Osbornes statement was, in my opinion, effectively a pre negotiation statement, (assuming their primary intent, to scare the voter, failed).

2) Yep, but the way that you used the word "another" suggested something different...

Archived