SCOTTISH CUP JUNIOR CUP FINAL 1970 BLANTYRE VICS V PENICUIK

williebhoy

Having the final live on STV is what killed off the 15,000+ crowds for the final, because neutrals stopped going. I guess the way attendances of 10,000+ for the semis eventually fizzled out as well suggests it would have happened with the final eventually as well, but you still have to wonder what might have been if it had stayed non-televised at Hampden for another decade or two.

• 1 year later...

I was at the Penicuik semi v Ashfield and both final games. Anybody got the date of the replay?

Edit - looks like it was played on the following Tuesday unless anybody knows otherwise

I was at the Penicuik semi v Ashfield and both final games. Anybody got the date of the replay?

Btw the attendance at Brockville was given as 6000 in the paper, although to me as a young lad it looked a lot more, even more so when I visited Brockville many more times.

Btw the attendance at Brockville was given as 6000 in the paper, although to me as a young lad it looked a lot more, even more so when I visited Brockville many more times.

As has been said, attendances really began to seriously decline from the mid sixties onwards, only five years earlier the Linlithgow Rose/ Kilsyth Rangers semi at Brockville had a 17300 crowd on a saturday evening.

As I recall Linlithgow had not lost in any match during that season up till then.The only goal of the game came from Rose centre forward, Colin Grant, who went on to a successful senior career with Hibernian

Kilsyth were handicapped on the day by a committee decision to drop the Cardwell brothers who had been scoring freely up till then, a case of personal differences eclipsing the interests of the club.

Was at Ibrox to watch Vics beat Ardossan. If I remember correct the game was played on a Friday night, Kirkie Lawson scored to give Vics a 1-0 victory.

He went on to have a very successful career with Motherwell, & Falkirk.

It was a Monday night according to the match programme in the opening post!

The Programme will probably be correct B. I beleive I have even got the score incorrect. But I was standing

at the halfway line, or maybe I was behind the goal.

The Programme will probably be correct B. I beleive I have even got the score incorrect. But I was standing

at the halfway line, or maybe I was behind the goal.

Are you sure it was that game you were at,Larky> :huh:

:P

ETA I regularly see one of the guys in the Vics photie when he's out' speedwalkin'' and he looks fit enough to sign up for next season! :P

Archived