Electric heating and hot water system advice

Highland29

Perhaps one of the experts on this thread can answer my question.

I have an Intergas condensing boiler used for both heating and topping up the hot water tank.

During the Summer, the central heating is switched off, but the boiler stays on for hot water (2 hours/day). My hot water tank also has an electric immersion heater.

Is it cheaper in the Summer to

• switch the boiler off completely and rely on the electric immersion heater for hot water

or

• have the boiler switched on in standby mode and use it to heat the water.

I've always thought the latter, but am surprised as to how much gas the boiler seems to use in standby mode.

Perhaps one of the experts on this thread can answer my question.

I have an Intergas condensing boiler used for both heating and topping up the hot water tank.

During the Summer, the central heating is switched off, but the boiler stays on for hot water (2 hours/day). My hot water tank also has an electric immersion heater.

Is it cheaper in the Summer to

• switch the boiler off completely and rely on the electric immersion heater for hot water

or

• have the boiler switched on in standby mode and use it to heat the water.

I've always thought the latter, but am surprised as to how much gas the boiler seems to use in standby mode.

Not sure if this is of use to you, but I have a meter on my heating and hot water system so I know exactly how much lecky it uses (it's a heat pump and uses a small amount of immersion heater too). There's 2 of us in the house with a 200 litre hot water tank.

In the six 'summer' months of April-September our hot water demand was 864kwh. With typical prices that would have cost about 120 quid using an immersion heater or £50 using gas.

Don't know how this would compare to your gas costs through the summer (assuming you don't also cook with gas etc) and that isn't including standby gas use but it's an idea of the comparative cost of using the immersion heater alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't want to create a new thread but wondered if any heating plumbing experts could answer a quick question?

Had my boiler serviced and came home later to find it not powering up, was told there was a 'sticky switch' but that it was now ok.

So from Friday night to Sat I had no heating and just enough hot water for sat morning.

British Gas tried to charge me £50 for a further callout and I told them to bolt and send me someone out to fix it straight away.

Guy came today who knew exactly what it was and replaced the solenoid and now it's ok.

My question is now likely is it that the first engineer damaged the solenoid in some way? I'm guessing that you need to switch the gas valve off to so some checks and also check of the mechanical valves and electrics?

What else gets done and how likely is it that it was damaged during the service? Thinking of cancelling my contract with them as I don't really trust them anymore. Feel they are under pressure to cut costs and pressure sell new boilers and missing the point.

They tell you that they can get parts but then a leaflet appears through your door telling you that some parts aren't available. Not the fault of the engineers but it's annoying that they can be so blatant.

I'm far from an expert but would it not be the case that as a combi doesn't need a one, the upgraded system wouldn't be connected to the existing tank, making it nothing more than a waste of cupboard space?

Till you lose power you're fine. I kept ours as a backup. Also rate of flow way superior to a combi.

• 6 years later...

High energy costs: Falkirk residents face stark choice of 'heat or eat'

Falkirk Council's scheme has ended up costing residents about £150 per week in bills (before the energy price hikes come along).

Been a long-running saga, this. The council recognised this and offered to install gas in these villages...then reneged when they got the quote for the works. Waiting to see where this goes.

• 1 month later...