The Gibraltar Challenge

LarkyTon

Just finished my second season and won the league easily. Got f**k all to do before the Scotland game so I did this.

Drew St Julia of Andorra in the Champs Lge, my league money has allowed me to go semi-pro and I have made a statement by signing some top players. Released a few of my older players as well. Signed Gibraltar internationals Scott Wiseman and David Artell as free agents, 2 experienced players. Signed Spanish former Cowden midfielder Albert Puigdollers on a free, and dished out a fee for George Cabrera and JP Duarte of Lincoln, easily the 2 best attackers in the league. I'm just over my budget but I think it will be worth it as I'm confident of beating St Julia.

Lineup is like this now

Cook

Wiseman Artell Gaiviso Perez

Puigdollers

Payas R. Bado

Ginés

Duarte Cabrera

EDIT-

Buzzing with that, beat them 8-1 on aggregate

5-1 away from home despite being 1-0 down at half time

Duarte hit 4 in the second half as well as a Ginés goal.

3-0 win at home was good as I played some younger players, we weren't getting anywhere so at half time I brought on Duarte and Cabrera, Duarte scored 2 and then an own goal made us win 3-0, but Scott Wiseman was sent off at the end which is disappointing, he was brilliant both games.

Drew Videoton of Hungary in the next round

Drew 1-1 away which was a stunning score considering the absence of Scott Wiseman. Cabrera scored his first for us.

Had Wiseman back for the home leg but disappointingly lost 2-0. A good load of money for us and IAH a loss to the Hungarian champions ONLY 3-1 on agg. is an achievement IMO.

I have also now signed a very young keeper Bradley Banda as my new backup

Yeah it seems fairly easy (takes time though) to get enough money to go pro. Problem seems to be actually getting a squad good enough to compete in Europe while not over spending, and the biggest problem seems to be the home grown rule, as getting decent youngsters is a fight

It's not just a fight, it's virtually impossible. Your early youth will look great, due to the general quality in squads being terrible, but as the years go on, you'll start getting decent players, average players, poor players, and then just fodder. I played a looooot of seasons, and didn't get one player that was really worth the bother.

The aim should be to build up enough money to both turn pro and get your scouting range increased. Buy in the best British players you can (don't count as foreign) and three of the best foreigners you can. Every three seasons, those foreigners will become naturalised Gibraltarians, so you can go out and buy some more. Eventually you'll be able to put together a squad that can compete. It does take a long old time though.

Both my foreigners Puigdollers and Gines have said they are announcing their retirements, leaving me to have 3 slots for foreigners.

Duarte and Cabrera are an absolute unit. I was struggling for goals before I brought them in. 5 games in, Duarte has 7 and Cabrera has 3.

The short season really pisses me off though.

It's not just a fight, it's virtually impossible. Your early youth will look great, due to the general quality in squads being terrible, but as the years go on, you'll start getting decent players, average players, poor players, and then just fodder. I played a looooot of seasons, and didn't get one player that was really worth the bother.

The aim should be to build up enough money to both turn pro and get your scouting range increased. Buy in the best British players you can (don't count as foreign) and three of the best foreigners you can. Every three seasons, those foreigners will become naturalised Gibraltarians, so you can go out and buy some more. Eventually you'll be able to put together a squad that can compete. It does take a long old time though.

Yeah I was actually reading your thread (I presume its yours, virtually the same username) last night funnily enough

Started this a couple of nights ago with Olympique 13.

Sitting top of Division 2 with around half the games gone. I think we'll fairly easily win the league, we're yet to lose. I'm quite enjoying the short seasons as well. The mid-season break for us, cost us a bit of money which isn't great but we'll hopefully make a wee bit of money at season's end.

Has anyone been able to get a parent club yet? Far too early for me but I was wondering if anyone had.

Yeah I was actually reading your thread (I presume its yours, virtually the same username) last night funnily enough

Yep, that's me. Long old boring read it is too :P

Sitting top of Division 2 with around half the games gone. I think we'll fairly easily win the league, we're yet to lose. I'm quite enjoying the short seasons as well. The mid-season break for us, cost us a bit of money which isn't great but we'll hopefully make a wee bit of money at season's end.

Has anyone been able to get a parent club yet? Far too early for me but I was wondering if anyone had.

I don't think I ever managed a parent club. Could be wrong, but it's always something I wanted, and something I never got. I'm sure I asked a few times, and got the usual rejections ("but we don't need loan players, it's much better paying over the odds for our own players", "we don't need the extra money this would bring in", "hurr durr durr"). When I eventually did get accepted, they did the usual month wait, before reporting that they couldn't find anything.

Feeder clubs were a different story, but only once we were a high enough rep to be worthwhile - think I ended up with two commercial based feeder clubs - one in China and one in the States - but still no parent club.

Won the league with Olympique 13, although not as comfortably as I'd have hoped after our unbeaten start.

I'd recommend Kayron Lopez to anyone looking for a fast striker in the second division. He scored 14 in 20 as an Advanced Forward. His strike partner wasn't particularly important with all 3 of my other strikers making an impact.

Highlight of the season was leading Lincoln 3-1 in the semi-final of the Rock Cup. Lowlight was conceding a last minute goal to Lincoln to make it 4-3 and send us out.

Both my foreigners Puigdollers and Gines have said they are announcing their retirements, leaving me to have 3 slots for foreigners.

Duarte and Cabrera are an absolute unit. I was struggling for goals before I brought them in. 5 games in, Duarte has 7 and Cabrera has 3.

The short season really pisses me off though.

Out of my squad of players who finished my 1st season, 7 have announced retirement at the end of the 2nd season.

Well, I finished my last 4 games of season 1, which I had already won the league and won 3 but lost 1. So all in all

• 1st in Division 2, Pl 22, W19, D 1, L2
  • Won The Division 2 League Cup
  • 2nd Round in Rock Cup

On the upside, I am now allowed to have 35 members in my squad. Started signing players to fill the remaining places, but seriously I could not find any players who wanted to sign, who would replace my preferred starting eleven.

The downside, I have jumped from rank 20th in Gibraltar and now ranked number 2. I am joint favorites to win the Premier with Lincoln @ 1/10.

The board expectations are:

• Compete with the top clubs in league
  • Not worried about Premier League Cup
  • Win the Rock Cup

Managed to get some reasonable friendlies, where the board reckon £500 income each against lager Spanish sides. I got 6 of them and one against Lincoln (who I had no choice, but accept).

One of my signings I managed to add the final Cascario brother from Lincoln, to join Kyle and Mark from season 1.

Must admit it seemed weird watching Kyle play in real life for Gib v Poland the other night. He was prob Gibs man of the match as well, so lets hope it reflects in my game.

Finished my second season with Olympique 13. Finished 3rd, just a few points off second, so no European football next season. Briefly took over the U-21s during the summer break but it was boring as balls so I quit before the season starts.

Third season has started poorly. Sitting mid-table after about 5 games. Can't get a decent first XI together and I haven't got a goal scorer of any real note, have players with high determination, high pace, high finishing but I'm getting nowhere. My back four is solid though, they make up the usual Gibraltarian national team back 4. This summer I greatly improved my midfield diamond, so hopefully next season I'll sort out my strikers.

Playing Red Imps, they were already linked with Lincoln when I took over.

Crap pre season (season 2) even managed to lose 4-0 and 4-1. Beat our joint odds on favorites Lincoln 3-1 in a friendly. Organist a final pre-season against a little side, to try and give a bit of confidence, got stuffed 3-1.

Next game is the start of season 2 home to Lions Gibraltar, who were the team who beat us in the Rock Cup last season.

Only manged 2 games today. 1st game of the season, we went 4-1 up against Lions Gibraltar at home and they came back to 4-3. But we held on.

The 2nd league game was the big one away to favourites Lincoln. Couldn't believe it we were 3-0 up after 12 minutes. We could not add to it and Lincoln pulled 1 back late in the second half. But still a big win for us.

So played 2 won 2. Second on goal difference to Manchester 62, both of us are the only ones with a 100% record.

Next up is a league game against College Europa at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Put it down for a bit, but managed another 5 games today. 4 in the League and 1 Premier League Cup group match.

Won all the games, in the league, 1st Pl6 W6 with a +17gd. We are now 7 points ahead of 2nd place Lincoln.

2nd in Premier League Cup group B, after 1 game won 4-2, but other winner last weekend won 3-0. Got Manchester 62 next in Cup, so can secure a semi final place.

Rock Cup draw is up shortly

Played a few games since last time.

In the league we still have a 100% record after playing 8 games.

Premier League Cup, won the first two 4-1, but the third game we lost 3-1, with a Lynx scoring a last minute goal to pip us to the top by 1 GD. Really weird as normally with 6 points I would have qualified, but we dropped down to 2nd, with Lynx confirmed through. Had to wait on the last game St Joseph v Manchester 62. If St Jospeh won by 5 clear goals, they would have gone through. It ended up 0-0. We have been drawn away to Gibraltar Lions in the semi final at home (which is the next game).

The last game I played was against Lincoln in the Rock Cup 2nd round. Two of my players taken off injured in the first 5 minutes, but we went 2-0 up within 25 minutes. Lincoln pulled 2 quick goals back around the half hour mark. The referee was very card happy, already booking 4 from each team, by this stage, but 10 minutes before half time, we were down to 10 men, after a second yellow. As a defender was sent off and with already using 2 subs, including my only available defender, decided to play 3 across the back, but change to low tempo, short passing and keep possession.

This worked reasonably well, except when we lost possession, where we looked very shaky to attacks. Another 7 cards followed for (4 for us) and after 86th minute a Lincoln player was given a second yellow. So extra time 10 v 10. We scored in the 95th, and somehow managed to hold on till the end, despite Lincoln going all out for an equaliser.

We have been drawn home to Lynx in the Qtr Finals, the only team to have beaten us in all competitions this season.

Archived