@ yes supporters: How will you react if the result is no

Mr Bairn

It is Shulz who is reported to believe it would be seen as interfering. I don't recall anyone claiming he is a Yes supporter.

I don't believe the SNP position on this, nor do I believe the BT position. There is plenty of legal opinion (and that's all it is: opinion) in line with that view.

He was calling you a typical Yes supporter, not Schulz.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Complete baloney.

Any advice the EU gave to the UK would not answer the wider question of state succession.

What Crawford and Boyle have done is provided an opinion (published in full) much wider than mere EU membership, which is but one strand of secession.

This has led ultimately to the SNP having to engage in a humiliating U Turn and admit that what they previously told Scots (that Scotland would be a co-equal successor state with rUK ) was embarrassing nonsense and they had in fact lied about this.

They are now on Plan B, which is again unevidenced. The SNP are a completely opaque authoritarian party.

I realise that, but the 'typical' behaviour he ascribes to me is in fact that of Shulz (reportedly).

Wrong. Shulz is making a political decision.

My issue is with the NCC (and typical SNP supporters) being happy with both the non-publication of information, and in not questioning the SNP over their complete lack of transparency on this issue.

As a Yes supporter, why do you think the SNP (unlike the UK government) haven't published any legal advice on this issue?

Professor Alan Boyle and Professor James Crawford, the foremost world expert on state succession.

Are Professor Alan Boyle and Professor James Crawford, the foremost world expert on state succession, both lawyers? Will they be involved in the decision making process that they gave advice about?

Are Professor Alan Boyle and Professor James Crawford, the foremost world expert on state succession, both lawyers? Will they be involved in the decision making process that they gave advice about?

Well, that depends really on your definition of "lawyer".

Which decision making process in particular are you referring to?

Well, that depends really on your definition of "lawyer".

Which decision making process in particular are you referring to?

Well why dont we just assume that a lawyer is someone who is both qualified to practice law and qualified to provide legal advice. Are they then lawyers?

What legal advice did they give?

Well why dont we just assume that a lawyer is someone who is both qualified to practice law and qualified to provide legal advice. Are they then lawyers?

What legal advice did they give?

Again, that depends on your definition. And practice law where? I doubt James Crawford is qualified to practice law in Scotland for example.

"Opinion: Referendum on the Independence of Scotland – International Law Aspects "

This is the specific title of Crawford and Boyle's paper. It isn't limited, as I said, to EU membership, and relates to two questions.

We are asked to advise on two questions:

10.1 the status of Scotland and the rUK in international law after Scottish independence, in particular ‘(a) the strength of the position that the rUK would be treated as a continuation of the United Kingdom as a matter of international law and an independent Scotland would be a successor state’; and

10.2 after Scottish independence ‘(b) the principles which would apply to determining the position of the rUK and an independent Scotland within international organisations, in particular the European Union’.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/79408/Annex_A.pdf

Feel free to read this - you might find it educational. In fact, I'm sure you would.

Again, that depends on your definition. And practice law where? I doubt James Crawford is qualified to practice law in Scotland for example.

"Opinion: Referendum on the Independence of Scotland International Law Aspects "

This is the specific title of Crawford and Boyle's paper. It isn't limited, as I said, to EU membership, and relates to two questions.

We are asked to advise on two questions:

10.1 the status of Scotland and the rUK in international law after Scottish independence, in particular (a) the strength of the position that the rUK would be treated as a continuation of the United Kingdom as a matter of international law and an independent Scotland would be a successor state; and

10.2 after Scottish independence (b) the principles which would apply to determining the position of the rUK and an independent Scotland within international organisations, in particular the European Union.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/79408/Annex_A.pdf

Feel free to read this - you might find it educational. In fact, I'm sure you would.

Are either James Cawford or Alan Boyle licensed to practice law anywhere?

I have read it before thanks, so not neccessary. Will either James Crawford or Alan Boyle be involved, in the final determination of either of the questions posed? A simple YES or NO will suffice.

I have read it before thanks, so not neccessary.

Id say they were "licensed" to practise law somewhere, yes.

And you haven't read this. We both know that. I doubt you could manage to pictorial equivalent.

Will either James Crawford or Alan Boyle be involved, in the final determination of either of the questions posed? A simple YES or NO will suffice.

That is unknown. It depends how the EU proceeds on the matter. Either or both could be involved.

Three departments of the UK Government – the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Cabinet Office and the Office of the Advocate General for Scotland – have jointly instructed us to advise in connection with the proposed referendum.

Three departments of the UK Government – the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Cabinet Office and the Office of the Advocate General for Scotland – have jointly instructed us to advise in connection with the proposed referendum.

When do you think the EU member state that is the UK will seek advice from the EU and not some random lawyer ? After a yes vote ?

When do you think the EU member state that is the UK will seek advice from the EU and not some random lawyer ? After a yes vote ?

Why would they do this?

The Commission has already blocked publication of a report commissioned on this topic.

Why would they do this?

The Commission has already blocked publication of a report commissioned on this topic.

To provide clarity. Why don't they ask the EU instead of trying to bullshit us ?

Are they scared that they might have to renegotiate as well ?

To provide clarity. Why don't they ask the EU instead of trying to bullshit us ?

Are they scared that they might have to renegotiate as well ?

The paper commissioned looks much wider than the EU.

Asking the EU for an opinion they may choose to block wouldn't help, for example, in the wider issues of international personality. which the Crawford/Boyle paper outlines.

It has, for example, forced the SNP into a humiliating backtrack on their previous lies about co-equal state succession.

Archived