The wonders of austerity

Confidemus

Ad Lib, you can spin us all the flannel you want but the bare facts at that under a Government jointly stewarded by YOUR failure of a party, child poverty has went up, foodbank dependence has went up and the gap between rich and poor has widened to become comfortably the biggest in Europe.

Now please, for your own sake, stop banging on about "material deprivation" and "relative poverty". It makes you look ridiculous.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what is material deprivation in Maryhill?

They define material deprivation in the document:

Material Deprivation:

A suite of questions designed to capture the material deprivation experienced by households with children has been included in the Family Resources Survey since 2004/05. Respondents are asked whether they have 21 goods and services, including child, adult and household items. The list of items was identified by independent academic analysis. Together, these questions form the best discriminator between those households that are deprived and those that are not. If they do not have a good or service, they are asked whether this is because they do not want them or because they cannot afford them.

These questions are used as an additional way of measuring living standards for children and

their households.

A prevalence weighted approach has been used, in combination with a relative low income threshold. The income threshold is 70 per cent of the median income. Prevalence weighting is a technique of scoring deprivation in which more weight in the deprivation measure is given to households lacking those items that most already have. This means a greater importance, when an item is lacked, is assigned to those items that are more commonly owned in the population.

I suppose access to foodbanks has reduced the "absolute" poverty level.

Yay LibDems, WooFuckingHoo!

It won't. Items obtained from foodbanks don't count towards household income, the median of which the measure of "absolute poverty" is a derivative. It is possible that they could have, slightly, depressed the figure for material deprivation, but not by much.

They define material deprivation in the document:

It won't. Items obtained from foodbanks don't count towards household income, the median of which the measure of "absolute poverty" is a derivative. It is possible that they could have, slightly, depressed the figure for material deprivation, but not by much.

What are these goods and services?

MadLib seems to treat politics as some sort of abstract intellectial exercise.

It really is disturbing seeing him dance on the head of a pin in defence of his parties policies while people can't even afford to feed themselves or their families.

What are these goods and services?

See www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2007/05/30085716/8

MadLib seems to treat politics as some sort of abstract intellectial exercise.

It really is disturbing seeing him dance on the head of a pin in defence of his parties policies while people can't even afford to feed themselves or their families.

Can you name a single policy of either the Liberal Democrats or the Coalition I have "defended" in pointing out the flaws in these statistics and explaining what the report actually shows about poverty in Scotland?

Can you name a single policy of either the Liberal Democrats or the Coalition I have "defended" in pointing out the flaws in these statistics and explaining what the report actually shows about poverty in Scotland?

Tbf you haven't criticised them either.

Yup. After 307 years of Westminster control and 20% of Scotland's children living in poverty. Proud!

I don't agree with all the parameters used but some of the stats are a scandal in modern day wealthy Scotland.

Untrue. I have criticised the approach taken to the under-occupancy penalty and the handling of welfare more broadly by IDS.

Why don't you just leave it there? Why bog everything down in semantics?

Why don't you just leave it there? Why bog everything down in semantics?

Because it is important to understand the actual nature of the problem you're tackling if you are properly to tackle it.

Because it is important to understand the actual nature of the problem you're tackling if you are properly to tackle it.

So how do you propose Westminster tackle it?

So how do you propose Westminster tackle it?

Sack IDS and appoint someone competent, abandon trying to implement Universal Credit, cut savagely the handouts to the elderly like the Winter Fuel Allowance, and use the savings to cover the cost of reforms to the under-occupancy penalty. End the contracts with ATOS on the work capability assessment. That's be an excellent start.

Sack IDS and appoint someone competent, abandon trying to implement Universal Credit, cut savagely the handouts to the elderly like the Winter Fuel Allowance, and use the savings to cover the cost of reforms to the under-occupancy penalty. End the contracts with ATOS on the work capability assessment. That's be an excellent start.

Thought that had happened already

I knew it was pending. I don't know if they've actually handed over yet.

Ah OK Early 2015 I think is the hand over. Personally I can't see a change of company making a blind bit of difference. They are after all just doing their master's bidding.

Cool cool. So which Westminster party is going to do this?

Ah OK Early 2015 I think is the hand over. Personally I can't see a change of company making a blind bit of difference. They are after all just doing their master's bidding.

I was under the impression it wasn't going out to tender again.

Cool cool. So which Westminster party is going to do this?

WCA already being done soon, IDS has at most 10 months left in his job, Labour have pledged to axe the UOP, the Lib Dems are already looking at ways to mitigate its effects. Everything else is cuts. Things this thread seems to exist to criticise as being innate to an ideology in Westminster culture.

So literally everything I've said is likely to happen at Westminster within 2-3 years or so, since Labour are going to win the 2015 election.

No, I can't name any policies you have defended. However, your statistics bear no relationship to the real world.

The most obviously ridiculous assumption is that median earnings for everyone in the £24000 to £26000 pay band could rise by £2k pa. That's an average 8% pay rise for everyone in that salary range.

Now, as public sector pay deals are currently averaging under 1%, and there are a hell of a lot of public sector workers in that pay band, are you seriously suggesting that there are an equivalent number of workers in that range who have averaged 15% pa rises and that everyone else has averaged 8%?

Without proof of this, your whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

Archived