RandomAttempt at managing St Johnstone (one year on)

RandomGuy.

Two "firsts" happened this season. My first top six finish, and the first winners outwith Celtic....

ScottishPremiership_OverviewStages-8_zps

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rather weird how FM is mostly realistic with regard to Celtic pumping everyone (even when Rangers inevitably get back into the Premiership)

However on my Stirling Albion save, Hibs won the title in the first season!!! Which I found astonishing! Won it by 3 points or something! As the years went by Celtic then started winning it 3 times in a row, while Hibs went back to normal, and actually were relegated to the championship if I remember correctly.

It's a funny old game FM...

It's rather weird how FM is mostly realistic with regard to Celtic pumping everyone (even when Rangers inevitably get back into the Premiership)

However on my Stirling Albion save, Hibs won the title in the first season!!! Which I found astonishing! Won it by 3 points or something! As the years went by Celtic then started winning it 3 times in a row, while Hibs went back to normal, and actually were relegated to the championship if I remember correctly.

It's a funny old game FM...

Yeah I see some saves were Celtic seem to drop off completely, although they usually always end up winning a title at some point. I have to admit that Celtic were getting right on my tits this save with their dominance, so much so that I effectively threw my final match of the season just so they'd lose the title. If United had beat me then they'd win regardless of Celtics result, so I played my youths :ph34r: funniest bit is the fans never even moaned about losing after it!

Currently on course for another top six finish in 2020/2021. Doubt we'll finish higher than fifth due to being ten or so points behind fourth but I want to finish fifth. I absolutely love this side, some players have come from the Championship to Top six with me, and I find it hard when they leave. Some are more special than others though, and while the likes of Scott Bain, Dylan Easton and Chris Kane all play (and still play) a major part in my side they all can't match up to these two....

First is my first ever signing, Joe Chalmers. He started his St Johnstone career two weeks after I started mine, and has been a massive part of the club over the past six years, so much so that he's been captain for the past two seasons. He always performs, and occasionally pops up with a superb free kick, he currently sits at 201 appearances, and is now only 150 or so behind Alan Main, and Chalmers could still play for another six years I hope.

JoeChalmers_OverviewProfile_zps9faf3349.

Secondly, and probably my favourite player in this side, is Migue Garcia. Signed exactly a month after I joined, he sits at 233 appearances, and after a rough patch last season he's once again become first pick on the wings. I think part of my love is due to the fact he's incredibly average looking, in fact some might even look at his attributes and consider him pretty damn poor for a top six side, but he constantly pops up with a goal when needed. He's scored some absolute worldies in the Championship, and then in the first few seasons back up, but he's getting older now and it shows a bit. He recently skinned three men then battered one into the top corner, so maybe I'm just over thinking his age. I'll find it hard to ever sell or release him.

MigueGarciacutea_OverviewProfile_zpscc10

Think I'm going to give serious consideration to some other jobs this Summer. I'm not going to go much further I think as I'm pushing the wage bill hard as it is yet I'm the third lowest payers in the league. The team above me, Dundee, have a wage bill twice the size of mine. Usually get offered jobs from teams relegated from the EPL so that could be intriguing

ScottishPremiership_OverviewStages-9_zps

ScottishPremiership_StatsTeam_zpsfa88dba

Probably the final straw to be honest, only two months until they were due to be completed

DanielBegg_NewsInbox-5_zps23360bf4.png

Decided to stay as I couldn't agree terms with Sunderland and Sheffield United, so Ive decided to try an push on this season. Managed to trim back the deadwood and bring in numerous players who are a vast improvement on what I have. Despite my "splashing the cash" approach, I've now dropped to 11th in the wage spend category :lol:

ZekiOumlz_OverviewProfile_zps012d0d84.pn

CharlieHarrold_OverviewProfile_zps88565b

TonyOKeeffe_OverviewProfile_zps165579bf.

JordanHamill_OverviewProfile_zps8bf97ca0

NickRoss_OverviewProfile_zps9fd15c04.png

Left for West Brom with them sitting 18th in the Championship. I'm expected to win the title, and the board were already on my back after two months for failing to make up the 23 point difference to the leaders :lol: I've got us on the up, and brought in some good players, but we're not in the play off places yet and the board are getting more and more restless. Could be sacked before the end of the season :unsure:

Managed to survive the sack, and this season has started incredibly well....

SkyBetChampionship_OverviewStages_zpscba

Had to make plenty of signings to get us here as the squad was fairly poor. Got a couple of standout performers though, the first one you might recognise....

CharlieHarrold_OverviewProfile-2_zps6798

Cost me £2m from my former side (where he'd cost me nothing...), and has instantly become a key performer. So clinical these days

My other key performer is a well known FM star. He was here before me, so I got a nice surprise, he's severely under developed due to spending too long at Anderlecht though, he usually gets far, far better than this by his peak. Either way he's still a complete goal machine..

AleksandarMitrovic_OverviewProfile_zpse5

DanielBegg_NewsInbox-8_zpsb9556267.png

We've dominated the league, and win with 4 games left after being top from around the 8th game, we're also close to reaching the 100 points marker. I'm intrigued to see how I fare in the Premiership, the sides in there all seem massively strong due to the overpowered nature of regens, so it'll be a challenge. Hard to believe its taken almost ten years of management to get here, but hopefully I'll cope

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-4_

Solid start, beat the Champions Man City at the Etihad in my first match, and we were barely troubled in truth. Second game we beat Ipswich 2-1 thanks to a penalty, quite lucky to win but yet again we never really looked in danger of losing it. Liverpool are up next but they've been in utter turmoil the past 18 months, sacking managers and spending money on utter duds, so we'll likely be pumped by them...

ManCityvWestBrom_OverviewOverview_zps6ca

WestBromwichAlbion_FixturesSchedule_zps2

I got my pumping of Liverpool, but took out my frustration against an Arsenal side including a certain Ronaldo. When I first seen the opening fixtures I presumed my failure to make the FFP regulations had led the FA to decide to utterly shaft me as much as they could (I still believe this btw), so to pick up 9 points from twelve, including three trips to top four sides, two of which were away games, is extremely pleasing.

My goalkeeper is unbelievable up here aswell, saves a ridiculous amount of one on ones. Theres a few players who look a bit weak though, and Mitrovics lack of progression before I joined means he has no pace, and hes being shown up so far. Starting to love this club :wub:

On a sidenote my captain at St Johnstone, and my first ever signing, Joe Chalmers has been sold. He was 60 games from becoming the record appearance holder at Saints, had been on the favoured personnel list for about five season so surely would've become an icon, and now has Saints as his favoured club. The new manager sold him to Dundee United for £100k, where he now rots on the bench :bairn

HullvWestBrom_OverviewOverview_zpsfd50a2

#CanIPlayTheBigFourEveryWeek

In all seriousness Mitrovic is brutal in this league, and its costing me already. I tried to sign Rumens this Summer, had a fee agreed and went to contract talks but couldn't pay him enough by £10k a week. Hull bought him a week later. p***ks

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised I've not updated this is forever. I'd like to add in respose to my #CanIPlayTheBigFourEveryWeek campaign in the last post I finished the season with a record of 15 points from a possible 32 against the traditional "big four", including a double over Manchester United. I'd also like to point out Rumens finished the season with 22 goals from 28 games, which made me almost spew.

Heres how the league table looked after my first season in the "big league"

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-6_

We were relatively safe for most of the season, but a real lack of quality all over the pitch caused me a few worries. If we'd had a half decent striker we'd probably have finished four or five places higher than we did. Norwich were unreal though, they have a striker called Carl Howell who I actually faced up against when he was at Celtic. b*****ds followed me here and continued to be utterly unplayable

So in the Summer window I decided I needed to splash out and bring in some real quality who could separate me from the sides around me when it mattered, highest on my wish list was a striker who'd actually make it into double figures. I sold Mitrovic as he was brutal in the EPL

WestBrom_TransfersTransferHistory_zps1a4

Ended up pretty pleased with the window in all.

Heres some screenies of players who matter...

AbdoulCoulibaly_OverviewProfile_zpsfc2c3

Quality winger whos replaced my golden child Harrold. He took a while to settle but seems to be now, creates so many chances during the games.

TomMacVicar_OverviewProfile_zpse8a9b5f7.

My great white hope. Thinking he'll one day be a superstar, so slowly nurturing him into the first team squad.

ToniPeacuterez_OverviewProfile_zps07a962

The forward I stumped out £5m for to replace Mitrovic (theres actually another striker aswell, but he's shit). So far so good, and hes getting better as we go on

WestBromwichAlbion_FixturesSchedule-2_zp

Yet again the FA decide they want to shaft me and I have to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City in the first five games. Must be more than just luck I get such shite starts to the league season. It fucked our confidence and that combined with so many new players led to poor performances. We're getting better all the time though, so hopefully well continue with the good form..

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-5_

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again the FA decide they want to shaft me and I have to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City in the first five games. Must be more than just luck I get such shite starts to the league season. It fucked our confidence and that combined with so many new players led to poor performances. We're getting better all the time though, so hopefully well continue with the good form..

Just to carry on my groans, heres a run down of some of my first few fixtures over the past three seasons....

Season One: Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal

Season Two: Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea

Season Three: Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea

Last season I got drawn against Chelsea in both cups, in the first two draws. Its incredible really

Archived