Inverness CT - Transfer Thread Summer 2014

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't Aberdeen have a good scouting system in place, as did Dundee United, I'm sure you used to develop your own young players? Or is that too much trouble and time consuming for your club.

It would be much better to fill the team with English journeymen, obviously.

Hello. I have been writing some report cards for each Premiership team and I've just posted the Inverness one today. If any of you want to have a wee read that would be great, and if you wanted to comment (or criticise) anything I've written then please do so!

Thanks,

Link

Seems pretty spot on. I don't know when it was written but I would disagree with the Rangers League Cup game being our worst performance - that dubious honour would go to the 4 - 0 humping we got off Partick recently but this may have been written before then.

Good shout about the consistency of the back four not just in terms of performances but the fact that we have avoided injuries to these players which means we can call on them pretty much every week. On an individual basis either Tansey or Watkins have been our best performers I think.

Maybe a wee bit harsh on Mckay. He isn't scoring many but a lot of that, as you highlight, could be down to the change in style under Hughes. There have been far more games where he hasn't been provided with decent scoring chances by his team mates than matches where he himself has been poor. Despite his size he is fantastic at holding the ball up to allow team mates to get forward and support him. Best example of this was the league game v Saint Mirren when Christie was sent off just after half time and Mckay was left alone up front for about 40 minutes. He was fantastic at keeping the ball when it was aimlessly punted out of defence before bringing team mates into play. I'd like to see him score more goals but he is still playing well and that is good enough for me.

Seems pretty spot on. I don't know when it was written but I would disagree with the Rangers League Cup game being our worst performance - that dubious honour would go to the 4 - 0 humping we got off Partick recently but this may have been written before then.

Good shout about the consistency of the back four not just in terms of performances but the fact that we have avoided injuries to these players which means we can call on them pretty much every week. On an individual basis either Tansey or Watkins have been our best performers I think.

Maybe a wee bit harsh on Mckay. He isn't scoring many but a lot of that, as you highlight, could be down to the change in style under Hughes. There have been far more games where he hasn't been provided with decent scoring chances by his team mates than matches where he himself has been poor. Despite his size he is fantastic at holding the ball up to allow team mates to get forward and support him. Best example of this was the league game v Saint Mirren when Christie was sent off just after half time and Mckay was left alone up front for about 40 minutes. He was fantastic at keeping the ball when it was aimlessly punted out of defence before bringing team mates into play. I'd like to see him score more goals but he is still playing well and that is good enough for me.

Cheers for having a read. I only picked McKay because of the goalscoring but as you said he is more than capable of fulfilling the other jobs that strikers often have to do like running off the ball, holding up the play and closing down defenders. The big challenge for Hughes will be when you might lose players like Christie, McKay, Shinnie, Watkins etc.

Totally agree he's been able to have a lot of success with someone else's squad (not that that's a bad thing). He's only brought in two players (I think). Tansey has been great for us but Sekajja has looked very poor. It's going to be an almighty task to replace the likes of Shinnie, Mckay, Meekings, Tansey etc. if they do all move on next summer. Some of them have made noises about wanting to stay (Meekings and Tansey), others have made noises through a third party about moving on (Shinnie) and others haven't said much at all (Mckay). I'm hopeful that we can get some of them signed up to new deals sooner rather than later but I think we'll see a relatively major renovation of the squad next year. Big tasks facing Hughes and I don't envy him!

I originally felt the same about McNamara in that he inherited the core of a good team and did well with them but he has now made his mark and brought in a large number of his own players. Hughes has far exceeded all expectations I had of him after the tail end of last season.

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite true.

My good friend Ian has had a difference in opinion with T Butcher and I believe that there is a residual and unresolved rancour between them.

The rancour is mostly T Butcher.

I for one would welcome the return of Ian to our Inverness midfield and if truth be told, I don't really think he should have left.

Tansey was one of the players who had said that he was keen on resigning. Josh Meekings made similar noises as well, so hopefully some more good news follows soon...

Archived