Kids away trips/tournament experiences

Boomtown Boy

I cant see a thread for this so thought I would put it up so poeple can share their experiences good/bad of away trips they have had with their kids. Things to watch, things not to forget etc etc

I will start, today Bonnyrigg Rose 2005`s are off to play in the Southport Super Cup, organised by Sports Tours, I have organised most of it (bigger job than I thought) but everything now seems to have come together. A travelling party of 56 with 3 x 7 a side teams entered. We are staying in Blackpool and travelling down.

I will post a review which may be helpful for othere looking at trips for next year.

Also if I am looking beyond this trip I hope to take the boys to Holland in 2016 so have any you guys been to trips over here and can recommend places to stay, tournaments to enter?

When I was younger my team used go down to Leeds for a 6-a-side tournament every year with three different teams taking part in 3 different types of tournament (God knows what the differences were) but for the 3 years I went down there one team won their respective tournament, generating huge levels of seethe as we were th only Scottish entrants.

Anyway, the first season I was down there it was my team that won it and I'm doubtful that I'll ever see, or participate, in SCENES like it ever again.

We got to the final fairly easily, but it was evident that the team we were coming up against in the final were an impressive outfit, and, if I'm going to be brutally honest, probably a fair bit better than our team of guys who had never played together in a 6-a-side game before the day of the tournament.

We went 1-0 down fairly early but managed to contain them and eventually started to press midway through the second half. It was round about this time that the other members of our team, who had unfortunately been knocked out of their respective tournaments, along with their dads, arrived pitchside to support us.

By this time we had a pretty impressive support with one side of the pitch completely taken up by fellow Scotsmen cheering us on. Being pretty young at the time we turned this into a proper Scotland v England affair in our heads and, with about 10 minutes left manged to pull it back to 1-1 with our prolific frontman scoring something ridiculous like his 15th of the tournament.

Fucking pandemonium.

Grown men leaping for joy and their sons embarking on the mother of all pitch invasions, eventually requiring the dads of the opposing team to come and drag them off us as we celebrated in the corner.

It was at this point that things started to get ugly.

Dad v Dad war erupted as our dad's took exception to their sons being manhandled, but luckily this became nothing more than vitriolic abuse rather than actually coming to blows.

At some point, however, someone in the opposition support found out that the guy refereeing (a guy playing in the Bradford reserves at the time) was a distant relation to one of the coaches of our team. This was actually true, but it was evident that we weren't gaining an advantage and that the guy was reffing in a totally impartial manner.

This was until the last few minutes of the game

A shot slipped under our keeper and trickled towards the goal before someone managed to clear it into touch. It was a close one, but being one of the players closest to the incident, I actually think that it crossed the line. There can't have been much in it, and maybe it was just my ever-sceptical self, but to this day I'm sure that the ball crossed but there was no fucking way I was going to let anyone hear that.

The folk in the opposition support went fucking wild. It took almost 5 minutes from the ball going out of play until it could be restarted with the customary 'kick-in'. I've never seen such a commotion over youth football. Mums, dad's, siblings even locals with just a passing interest were on the pitch screaming at the ref, absolutely convinced that he was determined that we should win.

In fairness to him, I genuinely believe that he thought it didn't cross the line and there's a good chance it didn't, but who knows.

From the eventual re-start we won the ball, broke down the line, squared it to our central midfielder and he fucking scuffed it about 5 yards from an empty net.

The whistle blew; it was down to extra time. More than that. It was golden goal in extra time

During the 5 minute break between play; the lad, who was our captain, was in tears. He hadn't managed to score in the entire tournament and it took the collective effort of the entire team and about 5 grown men to convince him that he was good enough to go back out on to the pitch and maybe, just maybe, lead his team to the trophy.

We were under unrelenting pressure for the entirety of extra time. That was, however, until our talisman up front picked the ball up just outside our box and managed to run through the midfield, into the opposing half and to the cusp of the opposition box before he was ruthlessly scythed down by the hulking brute of questionable age that they had at centreback.

He was determined to take this one himself, but out of nothing more than pure sympathy and half hearted shouts from the touchline, decided to hand the ball to the captain. Placing the ball down, with eyes still bloated and red from the tears, the captain took a few paces back, chose his spot and rifled it as hard as he possibly could.

What a fucking goal. Bottom corner, travelling at some speed under the jumping wall.

Scenes. Scenes everywhere and not a dry eye in the house.

Dalkeith CYP 2003 are off to a tournament at Butlin's Skegness on Friday 16 May. No real idea what to expect or how we will get on.

With change in age grouping (we play calendar year) and tourney run with age group based 1 September to 31 August we have been forced to enter one team playing 9 a-side and another playing 7 a-side.

I think our 9 a-side team may struggle as they've only played two 9 a-side matches being used to playing 7s, so thinking that the 7 a-side team may do better.

Will update this thread following tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

Dalkeith CYP 2003 are off to a tournament at Butlin's Skegness on Friday 16 May. No real idea what to expect or how we will get on.

With change in age grouping (we play calendar year) and tourney run with age group based 1 September to 31 August we have been forced to enter one team playing 9 a-side and another playing 7 a-side.

I think our 9 a-side team may struggle as they've only played two 9 a-side matches being used to playing 7s, so thinking that the 7 a-side team may do better.

Will update this thread following tournament.

Just back from an ESF tournament at Butlin’s Skegness which was extremely well run with accommodation better than expected.

Our under 11’s 9a-side team played 5 games - winning 2 and losing 3. One loss occurred where we battered the opposition for 99% of the match but somehow contrived to lose 1-0, the other two losses were against the teams who contested the final. 1 of the teams had 3 lads head and shoulders above our guys. The games were played on what I’d refer to as a normal sized 7 a-side sized pitch.

Our under 10’s 7a-side team played 6 games - winning 3, drawing 1 and losing 2. The games were played on what I’d refer to as smaller than our normal 7 a-side sized pitch. You could take a throw in from one side and if nobody touched it, it could go out the other!

What I found disappointing was the long ball game adopted by all the English teams at both age groups. The goalkeeper launched the ball up front and a mad chase ensued most of the time. The pitches being smaller did not suit the passing type of football that our kids and others in the East of Scotland Soccer Development Association’s (ESSDA) adopt.

All the boys loved taking part and using the excellent facilities (swimming pool, shows, etc) and I look forward to seeing our boys compete in similar tournaments.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from an ESF tournament at Butlin’s Skegness which was extremely well run with accommodation better than expected.

Our under 11’s 9a-side team played 5 games - winning 2 and losing 3. One loss occurred where we battered the opposition for 99% of the match but somehow contrived to lose 1-0, the other two losses were against the teams who contested the final. 1 of the teams had 3 lads head and shoulders above our guys. The games were played on what I’d refer to as a normal sized 7 a-side sized pitch.

Our under 10’s 7a-side team played 6 games - winning 3, drawing 1 and losing 2. The games were played on what I’d refer to as smaller than our normal 7 a-side sized pitch. You could take a throw in from one side and if nobody touched it, it could go out the other!

What I found disappointing was the long ball game adopted by all the English teams at both age groups. The goalkeeper launched the ball up front and a mad chase ensued most of the time. The pitches being smaller did not suit the passing type of football that our kids and others in the East of Scotland Soccer Development Association’s (ESSDA) adopt.

All the boys loved taking part and using the excellent facilities (swimming pool, shows, etc) and I look forward to seeing our boys compete in similar tournaments.

What was the cost off the tournament per family my son plays with sygenta 2004s and they looking for a tournament for next season

I cant see a thread for this so thought I would put it up so poeple can share their experiences good/bad of away trips they have had with their kids. Things to watch, things not to forget etc etc

I will start, today Bonnyrigg Rose 2005`s are off to play in the Southport Super Cup, organised by Sports Tours, I have organised most of it (bigger job than I thought) but everything now seems to have come together. A travelling party of 56 with 3 x 7 a side teams entered. We are staying in Blackpool and travelling down.

I will post a review which may be helpful for othere looking at trips for next year.

Also if I am looking beyond this trip I hope to take the boys to Holland in 2016 so have any you guys been to trips over here and can recommend places to stay, tournaments to enter?

Hi mate, we took part in a tournament at Southport a few weeks ago with my 2003s, we really enjoyed it. The accomodation was at Butlins, we thought it was fine as it kept the team together and was good for bonding etc. As regards the tournament it was well run, proper refs etc, and the end of tournament trophy presentation was first class, make sure all your team stay for that. As regards Holland we are thinking of doing that ourselves, we spoke to some coaches at the event who had been ans said it was an amazing experience.

Just picking this thread back up so will write a wee review:

Although we were entered into the Southport Tournamnet it was actually the Blackpool one we intended to play in but Sports Tours didnt have enough entries so combined the 2 and played Southport tournament instead. This was a bit of a ball ache as it was just over 1 hour each way travel for us as we had already committed to stay in Blackpool and bought Pleasure Beach tickets for the kids so we didnt move accomodation with tournament, it was also a 9am start so we had to be up and had breakfast and on road before 7.30am which is early if you have had a few pints the night before before.

On the tournament, I would give it pretty mixed reviews, the games were well organised decent facilities at the venue and nice wee participant trophies and a ref supplied for each game, however, each ref played a different set of rules, one even blew for offside, aye fvckin offside, in a kids 7 a side game. Our results were pretty disappointing with my team winning 3 drawing 2 and losing 4 but then we found out that we were playing against an age group which I did suspect as they were bigger, faster and more powerful than most of our boys.

On the playing side of things I would like to pick up what has been said and 100% agree with the above poster on English teams style of play, I thought we played as good a passing game as any team down there we played, trying to roll it out from back to defenders then build play through midfield, the English approach was very different and everytime the GK got the ball he would just shell it missing out 2/3rds of his team. This put us under alot of pressure and we lost goals from it, there was also no retreat line enforced which I questioned and was told by ref we dont really play that and I was putting my team under pressure by encouraging gk to roll it out and he would suggest the gk kicking from hand WTF!!!! Cant believe we are so out of sync with English with how to progress children.

Anyway if we had won it I would be on saying best tournament since sliced bread lol

One thing for sure it was an eye opener and the experience gained by the boys was marvellous, both on and off the pitch. Each kid was impeccably behaved and the place we stayed at, The Helmshore Hotel, was fantastic, if anyone is heading to Blackpool next year I would really recommend that you check out this accomodation.

Also after all my prep everything went great until the first game when the other team handed our captain a pennant, doh, this was only thing I overlooked in all my prep work but will not make the same mistake twice.

What was the cost off the tournament per family my son plays with sygenta 2004s and they looking for a tournament for next season

Not to sure exact costs as we raised lots through racenight, raffles, etc. Also different levels of accommodation available. See http://www.footballfestivals.co.uk/about-us.html

for this years info.

Good luck and be wary of the long ball tactics. I'm hoping we can go to Holland next year where apparently it's more of a passing game.

cost for Blackpool for us was £149 per adult which included bus and 3 nights stay in hotel. Think the kids were £20 cheaper. There was also an entry fee per team of £150 which our club paid for. U also had option for 2 night stay which was £20 cheaper again

cost for Blackpool for us was £149 per adult which included bus and 3 nights stay in hotel. Think the kids were £20 cheaper. There was also an entry fee per team of £150 which our club paid for. U also had option for 2 night stay which was £20 cheaper again

What age group are you? 2003s?

Follow @timetoplay9s on Twitter or look them up on Facebook. They are trying to introduce 9 a side as a transitional period between 7s and 11s.

Thanks for the plug mate, I started the petition up myself about four weeks ago, lots of interest in it and the beaks are starting to listen, I will not count my chickens though until we get it in place

• 3 weeks later...

i represent company called soccerexperience who specialize in tours and tournament in spain ,,which we can combine british teams playing in mainland spain with our gig being we can tailor make your tour and experince for further details call and enquire on 07877636189 and i can refer you to website etc

Archived