Brisbane

Rossi1990

I'm heading over to Brisbane and Sydney in June for 3 weeks with my mate.

We are all sorted for Sydney, but we are unsure of what to do in Brisbane?

Where is the best place to stay? Anyone know of any good hotels?

We have tickets for the state of origin game at Suncorp but thats it at the moment. What else would people recommend when we are in Brisbane?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a couple of times - most recently flying home on the same afternoon that the city centre was in the midst of the big floods that made the news at the beginning of 2011.

A few bits and pieces off the top of my head... As well as Steve Irwin's zoo there's Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, although it's much lower key. Wandering around the South Bank is nice. There's a good modern art gallery there too. If you're looking for a night out then Fortitude Valley has heaps of bars. It's easy to get to the Gold Coast, or to do a day trip to Moreton Island. You can also go hiking in rainforests - lots of backpacker places offer day or overnight trips. If getting stoned is your thing then Nimbin isn't too far away either.

Edit - also I've been to see Brisbane Broncos in rugby league, and Brisbane Roar at football. Didn't seem to be a problem getting tickets for either (both teams play at Suncorp), although the rugby game definitely had more atmosphere.

Oh, and there's the Castlemaine XXXX brewery tour. Not the most exciting brewery tour I've been on but a decent way to spend a wet afternoon, of which there were many while I was last there.

Origin will be tremendous. Get up to Caxton Street early to soak up the atmosphere.

Echo the other suggestions above, Lone Pine well worth a visit and South Bank good for a wander. Not really a tourist city IMO but great base to head to either sunshine or gold coast.

The Valley is good of a night, and The Zoo is a great gig venue. See We Are Scientists are on there the night after Origin.

The Breakfast Creek Hotel is worth a visit as it is supposedly is the only place that sells XXXX from wooden kegs due to some deal done in the 70's. Interesting building and does a good steak.

Perfect thanks for the tips. We are just heading to Brisbane for a few nights just so I can meet up with family who are near there.

I'm buzzing for origin can't wait for it. Hopefully the series goes down to the wire and game 3 is a decider.

Went to Suncorp for the Lions Test last year - amazing venue, and probably the best atmosphere I have experienced at any event, sporting or otherwise. The locals reckoned it was good, but maybe fell a bit short of Origin, so can only imagine how good that will be, you lucky b*stard!

We were able to walk down Caxton St to the ground - having seen the Origin videos of how wild it could get, that was quite a surreal feeling!

Think someone else mentioned the big wheel - it's not particularly high, but you still get some spectacular views.

Also get decent views by doing the Story Bridge climb - not a par on the Sydney equivalent but good fun. Then round it off with a few xxxx in the Story Bridge Hotel.

• 2 months later...

Brisbane was brilliant. Headed to Australia Zoo one day and also had a great day around the South Bank and that.

Origin was one of the best sporting events I have ever been to. Caxton street before the game was incredible, atmosphere was amazing. The game was great, Queensland won and the beers in the ground made it even better. Even ended up sitting beside a guy from Glasgow who emigrated out a few years back. Small world!

Archived