C:\dev\atapi_cd.sys

I have a second computer for messing about with basically and I have just upgraded it from win95 to 98 (it doesnt meet the system req. for XP!) All seemed to be fine and I installed a few games perfectly smoothly. When I boot up however I get a message about a corrupt or missing file C:\dev\atapi_cd.sys and config.sys is also mentioned.

The problem I have, and I assume it's related to this message, is that the CDROM drive isnt being picked up when CDROMs are inserted or in My Computer, despite the LED on the front working as normal.

Before all this happened I had a POST message saying there was an error detecting the second hard drive which doesnt actually exist so I changed this in the BIOS. Have I accidentally changed something so that the CD drive isnt picked up? I cant get into the BIOS to check this as I dont know the specific key to do this.

Advice?

I have a second computer for messing about with basically and I have just upgraded it from win95 to 98 (it doesnt meet the system req. for XP!)  All seemed to be fine and I installed a few games perfectly smoothly.  When I boot up however I get a message about a corrupt or missing file C:\dev\atapi_cd.sys and config.sys is also mentioned.

The problem I have, and I assume it's related to this message, is that the CDROM drive isnt being picked up when CDROMs are inserted or in My Computer, despite the LED on the front working as normal.

Before all this happened I had a POST message saying there was an error detecting the second hard drive which doesnt actually exist so I changed this in the BIOS.  Have I accidentally changed something so that the CD drive isnt picked up?  I cant get into the BIOS to check this as I dont know the specific key to do this.

Advice?

596695[/snapback]

The path C:\dev\atapi_cd.sys is in your config.sys file. It tells the Pc where the drivers for the CD rom are in older windows and DOS. Its why your CD rom isnt working

Looks like you've either deleted the file, or its been installed somewhere else.

Do a search for the atapi_cd.sys (it might not be called exaclty that, but it will have atapi in the name and will end .sys). Write down the file path where it is installed. Find your config.sys file (it will be on the top level of the C: drive), open it and replace the C:\dev\atapi_cd.sys with the path you wrote down. Reboot and all should be well ;)

If you search and cant find any atapi files, do a search for it on google and you should be able to find some to install. If not, give us a shout ;)

Done as you say and it seems that the atapi file was saved in path "C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS" the config.sys file also had "/D:mscd000 /i:0" after the file path. Tried editing the config.sys with and without the extra bit but it hasnt made any difference. I don't get the POST error message anymore, but the CDROM drive is still not being detected.

Done as you say and it seems that the atapi file was saved in path "C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS"  the config.sys file also had "/D:mscd000 /i:0" after the file path.  Tried editing the config.sys with and without the extra bit but it hasnt made any difference.  I don't get the POST error message anymore, but the CDROM drive is still not being detected.

596760[/snapback]

Im not sure about that file path, mainly the .000 after windows. Can you check the proper windows folder to see if it has the same.

As you have windows 98, you could try deleting everything from your config.sys and autoexec.bat files (make a copy of them first, just in case) as windows should be able to pick up your CD rom etc itself. The config.sys file could just be confusing things.

I have to confess that its a looong time since Ive had to think about any of this stuff. Its what you used to have to piss about with in the old days to get DOS games to work properly. So, excuse me if my recollections arent quite right!! :blink:

Archived