Heart of Midlothian 2014-

Exactly. He's our 4th choice centre half, has only every played regularly when other players have been injured or suspended then immediately lost his place again when these players have returned..... yet some simpletons on here reckon he's the next Beckenbaur and we should hold out for 7 figures. :blink:

Some simpletons are happy to get bent over and shafted when English clubs come calling.

Some simpletons are happy to get bent over and shafted when English clubs come calling.

Genuine question. Explain what this exact player has done to command a fee of such magnitude. He has never been considered good enough to be first choice in any of his 3 seasons since his debut year. I've nothing against him and think he's a decent player but come on. Paterson, walker Nicholson and king have proved it consistently over a period of time in the first team so I'd expect these guys to attract larger bids should teams be interested but McGhee?

Players progress and improve by playing competitive first team football. Something he'll just not get at hearts this season.

Genuine question. Explain what this exact player has done to command a fee of such magnitude. He has never been considered good enough to be first choice in any of his 3 seasons since his debut year. I've nothing against him and think he's a decent player but come on. Paterson, walker Nicholson and king have proved it consistently over a period of time in the first team so I'd expect these guys to attract larger bids should teams be interested but McGhee?

Players progress and improve by playing competitive first team football. Something he'll just not get at hearts this season.

Erm, until you come to terms with the fact that all of those players are two, even three years older than him, you won't be taken seriously while attempting to debate at the adults table.

:lol::lol::lol:

You tore into him and basically said he wasn't good enough. A busted flush.

Aye. :lol:

Like I said earlier though, I really hope he can add the consistency to his game that Walker has, as it's very likely he won't be a Hearts player next season.

Erm, until you come to terms with the fact that all of those players are two, even three years older than him, you won't be taken seriously while attempting to debate at the adults table.

McGhee 19, Paterson 20, Nicholson 20, King 21, Walker 22. Happy to correct you :)

His age is irrelevant as all the above players have proved. They've all been deemed good enough to feature regularly over the last 2/3 years and paterson has almost 100 games under his belt, Hearts do give our best young players an opportunity.

McGhee's age really isn't the issue, we just have better players playing in his position therefore he will struggle to get a game.

Its actually quite straightforward.

And debating at the adults table??? :lol::lol::lol: How ironic

Edited by Dirty Debbie Harry

McGhee 19, Paterson 20, Nicholson 20, King 21, Walker 22. Happy to correct you :)

His age is irrelevant as all the above players have proved. They've all been deemed good enough to feature regularly over the last 2/3 years

2 years maybe, and in the case of Nicholson and King, the vast majority sub appearances. One of the main criticisms of that foaming fuckhammer Locke is that he wouldn't give the young lads a chance, preferring instead to greet that he couldn't even fill a bench.

Back to McGhee though - it absolutely baffles me why so many Hearts fans are so down on the kid.

Edited by JamieThomas

2 years maybe, and in the case of Nicholson and King, the vast majority sub appearances. One of the main criticisms of that foaming fuckhammer Locke is that he wouldn't give the young lads a chance, preferring instead to greet that he couldn't even fill a bench.

Back to McGhee though - it absolutely baffles me why so many Hearts fans are so down on the kid.

I'm not criticising the lad and haven't read anyone being down on him at all. My original point was the valuation that some hearts fans have is unrealistic considering his lack of football he's played regularly. Nothing personally against him in the least.

His age is irrelevant as all the above players have proved. They've all been deemed good enough to feature regularly over the last 2/3 years and paterson has almost 100 games under his belt, Hearts do give our best young players an opportunity.

McGhee's age really isn't the issue, we just have better players playing in his position therefore he will struggle to get a game.

Its actually quite straightforward.

And debating at the adults table??? :lol::lol::lol: How ironic

It's not straightforward though. Breaking into the team as a centre half is much harder than breaking in as a winger due to it being such an important position.

The fact he has nearly 50 appearances despite only turning 19 a few months ago and never having been first choice surely suggests he's extremely highly rated no?

I'm not criticising the lad and haven't read anyone being down on him at all. My original point was the valuation that some hearts fans have is unrealistic considering his lack of football he's played regularly. Nothing personally against him in the least.

Chelsea and Man City aren't just buying Stones and Sterling on what they are worth now. They are buying them on what they potentially might be.

Factoring in the development and what he's been exposed to in the last three years, not to mention our financial position and that he has two years still on his contract, I don't see anything wrong with asking for more than he is probably worth.

Played near 20 games the last two seasons. We got, what, £150k for Adam King who got about 2 sub appearances total, and hadn't touched Scotland's u21 side. I don't think the lower end of seven figures for McGhee is unrealistic or unfair should he be sold, and I've not seen anyone seriously suggest much more than that.

It's not straightforward though. Breaking into the team as a centre half is much harder than breaking in as a winger due to it being such an important position.

The fact he has nearly 50 appearances despite only turning 19 a few months ago and never having been first choice surely suggests he's extremely highly rated no?

For whats it worth, once Wilson left, i was hoping McGhee was given his chance this season alongside ozturk. I rate the guy myself and when he's played he's more than held his own despite his age.

His starting appearances for us have been as a deputy, breaking into the first team and keeping others out is something he has not yet achieved, not a criticism but a fact. Neilson signed 2 foreign centre backs this summer, both are further up the pecking order than mcGhee at present.

I haven't seen anything yet to suggest a 7 figure fee for him i'm afraid. Its only my opinion.

You won't get 7 figures for him. Don't let the daft money floating about within the English game fool you, unless he's English you can take his price down by a massive %age straight away.

The last big money (non-Celtic) transfers out of this country to England to reach even close to 7 figures (or above) were all proven starters at the top level and in or around the Scotland full squad.

Pains me to list them as most are DAB's but - Goodwillie, Russell, Robertson etc

Russell was a proven goalscorer in the SPL with a lot of potential and went down south for circa £750k

We are currently trying to fend off interest from Everton for Scott Bain - were he to move I would expect 7 figures on the strength of the fact he has 3 full seasons of established first team football, has been called up to the most recent Scotland squad and, at 23 is young (for a goalkeeper) and shows potential. Whether we get 7 figures is a different matter but it is more likely that we would for him.

I would want 7 figures for Greg Stewart as well based on 3 or 4 full seasons of first team football, Player of the year nomination, great goal tally last year and continuing into this season but I doubt very much we will see that for him. More likely a token 500k bid in the last year of his contract as our DAB friends are finding to their detriment.

You won't get 7 figures for him. Don't let the daft money floating about within the English game fool you, unless he's English you can take his price down by a massive %age straight away.

The last big money (non-Celtic) transfers out of this country to England to reach even close to 7 figures (or above) were all proven starters at the top level and in or around the Scotland full squad.

Pains me to list them as most are DAB's but - Goodwillie, Russell, Robertson etc

Russell was a proven goalscorer in the SPL with a lot of potential and went down south for circa £750k

We are currently trying to fend off interest from Everton for Scott Bain - were he to move I would expect 7 figures on the strength of the fact he has 3 full seasons of established first team football, has been called up to the most recent Scotland squad and, at 23 is young (for a goalkeeper) and shows potential. Whether we get 7 figures is a different matter but it is more likely that we would for him.

I would want 7 figures for Greg Stewart as well based on 3 or 4 full seasons of first team football, Player of the year nomination, great goal tally last year and continuing into this season but I doubt very much we will see that for him. More likely a token 500k bid in the last year of his contract as our DAB friends are finding to their detriment.

was there not a guy from Falkirk or the likes who went for 1 million a couple of seasons ago?

This is why you c***s fail. You don't hold out for enough $$$ imhqo.

Edit: for extra $$

Edited by the jambo-rocker

was there not a guy from Falkirk or the likes who went for 1 million a couple of seasons ago?

Probably but I don't follow the lower leagues anymore what with Dundee being back where we belong :ph34r:

There will always be exceptions to the rule of course but again mcgrandles had 2 full seasons of first team football behind him.

There is also (this is just my opinion) a (small) premium for clubs like Falkirk, Accies and Utd as English clubs can see they have a good track record with young players.

Was Biabi's deal not up to £700k as well? And he's got about 20 appearances in the championship under his belt.

Fwiw, I don't want him sold and never claimed we should get £1m, I said we should be holding out for as much as we can if we do sell and wouldn't accept less than £750k.