Forza Italia

Supras

Europe's most successful ever World Cup Team goes into the competition on the back of two fantastic international tournaments. They surpassed all expectations and brushed past Germany in the 2012 Euros to reach the final, and they finished third in the Confederations Cup under a Spain side who could only knock them out on penalties. Undefeated in qualifying, and likely not caring in the slightest about their friendlies as usual.

They are in a difficult group, but one they will likely navigate with relative ease. They don't need to beat England, and I don't think they will, but a draw and two victories will see them comfortably through.

With the greatest goalkeeper of all time between the sticks, a magnificent Juventus defence and a mixture of exciting youth and legendary midfielders they will be a formidable force in this World Cup. In Balotelli they have a striker proven in the latter stages of international tournaments and, with Cassano off the focaccia, it's bound to be interesting.

All Italian news and discussion here.

Andrea+Pirlo+Armenia+v+Italy+FIFA+2014+W

balotelli-goal-2.jpg

2006-07-09-italy-in.jpg

#spiritofcannavaro

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confident they'll qualify from their group and their pre WC friendlies will have no bearing on how they perform once the tournament starts.

Montolivo is a big loss but this is the stage that Balotelli relishes and with Pirlo pulling the strings in midfield plus a solid looking defence they are a good outside bet.

Tell me that was a reserve side that just drew with Luxembourg

I watched the first 25 minutes or so and I turned it off because it was pretty obvious the players didn't care. They didn't even try and I can completely understand why.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident that Italy will get out of the group, although I'm not sure who's going to go with them and whether they'll get first or second. I think it's a fairly strong team, especially the midfield and to be honest I don't see any reason why they couldn't go all the way.

It's obviously a poor result, but you just can't read anything into ANY of the friendlies this close to the World Cup, for obvious reasons.

Some countries care more about friendlies than others. Italy, ludicrously, have never cared.

They probably don't need to, they are an extremely successful footballing nation. Friendlies are beneath them.

Some countries care more about friendlies than others. Italy, ludicrously, have never cared.

They probably don't need to, they are an extremely successful footballing nation. Friendlies are beneath them.

If anyone is curious about just how little Italy do care about friendlies, have a look at this table of the last games they played before every major tournament (it's in Italian but I'm sure you can work it out).

1250455.png

Before the World Cup in 2006, they drew the two previous friendlies. Why would they care? Why show others what tactics you're trying to use? It's just like pre-season friendlies - they mean absolutely nothing at this stage, it's just to test players' fitness and play about with formations. Interestingly, excluding friendlies, since Prandelli took charge - Italy have only lost 2 games in 90 minutes. The European Championship final to Spain in 2012 and once, to Brazil, in the Confederations Cup last year.

The only thing that really worries me is that Italy haven't won since September, with a record of D6 L1. However two of those games were in the WC Qualifiers, of which they had already qualified, and the rest friendlies (Germany, Nigeria, Ireland, Luxembourg, with the loss coming against Spain).

Could you imagine this thread if Italy went out of the competition because of a refereeing mistake from Craig Thomson?

2617115-2526956-wrestler_excited_gif.gif

Archived