Callum, watching the last years 19s cup run they went on ive got to agree. some quality players in there. We know about defenders McArthur and Muir, McGill and McKenzie in about it as well and have made 1st team starts.

2 boys in central midfield always looked mobile and when i watched them, i think McCreadie and Wardrope who could put their foot in and scored a few crackers when i saw them. I think our Academy lads look capable. Maybe all not together but im sure theyd make the step up soon if asked.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U17S today Ayr Utd 4 v 3 Stranraer , Good second half performance from the 17s saw off Stranraer.

Agree with above poster , most of the boys mentioned will be in action tomorrow night in the first u20s game of the season away to QOTS at Palmerston with a 7.30 pm Kick Off.

Having seen them a few times towards the end of last season. I like the boy McCreadie, strong. good in the tackle and not afraid to rattle a few cages if its not going right. Wither that would transfer into first team environment....i don't know. Anyone seen him involved with reserves?

Bonny ive watched a bit of that team from last year and your right , the lad McCreadie midfielder ive seen at Belmont. Sticks his foot in and decent in the air also scored a couple of goals i watched. Not scared to open his mouth either. Probably back-up for Gilmour or McLaughlin and no reason why a few of that team would make a challange.

I live round the corner from Steven McCredie and played football a lot with him when we were younger. He's a very sharp, technical player and, while I don't think he's quite in the same league as Alan Forrest, he's certainly capable of making it at Ayr.

I don't think we'll see much of him this season, particularly if Robbie Crawford re-signs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in and around the first team next season.

Meathead your right, McCreadie and Forrest, different types of player and puts a foot in and can mix it when needed when ive seen him last year and can get about. As someone said you need someone to carry the piano in before someone plays it lol another poster said in here the youth arent far away and if the first team keep it winning and are in the mix it can only help the youngsters should they get drafted in. Robbie Crawford would also be a good re-signing if hes not been snapped up by anyone else.

Fairly Certain that we retained Robbie, so it wouldn't be a resigning as such. so much as a welcoming back. a good squad player and id imagine good foil for JP and Gilly to push on if Scott Mclaughlin has to fill in at CB.

Retaining just means he was offered a contract under the required terms. He'd need to sign it to become an Ayr player again.

Retaining just means he was offered a contract under the required terms. He'd need to sign it to become an Ayr player again.

Aye, true, but also means he never effectively left the club....so we're not resigning him as much as he is just signing a new contract. it wouldn't take Alistair Campbell to spin it either way.

Aye, true, but also means he never effectively left the club....so we're not resigning him as much as he is just signing a new contract. it wouldn't take Alistair Campbell to spin it either way.

Like Shankland, he left the club. They are free to sign for anyone else. If they sign for someone in England we aren't even due compensation. Both contracts were withdrawn but Crawford has now been offered terms again, and the chance to return to Ayr. He could sign for anyone else as he was out of contract when the transfer window closed. Bear in mind it's now September and we've played loads of games. If he never kicks another ball does that mean he's still at Ayr?

Ayr appear to have a pretty decent Youth System which I understand is separate from the club is that right?

Like most clubs Airdrie is apparently reliant on one individual to bring the youth set-up together. His system (and his company) has brought a lot of income to the club with players moving on Coogans, Allan etc and that is a source of great frustration to both him and the supporters.

It's nice to stay afloat (just) but it would be good to see some of the youth players playing with us in the first team for a few years. No chance of that though.

So, you then ask yourself why bother with youth systems. The club struggles to fund the set-up, needs the cash from selling players on but if we didn't bother developing players for other teams, we would not have the cost of the Youth programme and could just focus on the first team.

Ayr appear to have a pretty decent Youth System which I understand is separate from the club is that right?

Like most clubs Airdrie is apparently reliant on one individual to bring the youth set-up together. His system (and his company) has brought a lot of income to the club with players moving on Coogans, Allan etc and that is a source of great frustration to both him and the supporters.

It's nice to stay afloat (just) but it would be good to see some of the youth players playing with us in the first team for a few years. No chance of that though.

So, you then ask yourself why bother with youth systems. The club struggles to fund the set-up, needs the cash from selling players on but if we didn't bother developing players for other teams, we would not have the cost of the Youth programme and could just focus on the first team.

Don't believe for a minute Airdrie can't fund the setup given they charge players £100 for their strip and are after £50 per month from them. Absolutely ridiculous!

Yes, that is correct.

Don't believe for a minute Airdrie can't fund the setup given they charge players £100 for their strip and are after £50 per month from them. Absolutely ridiculous!

I didn't know this and find it amazing. Is this £50 per player or £50 from each team?

The clear word from the Club is that Youth Football does not pay for itself. This is on top of fees received for players being sold on from Youth Development, something doesn't add up does it?

Dunfermline's youth set-up was neglected for many, many years - particularly during the early 2000s during the Calderwood years of reckless spending by the board. There were two or three who came through into the team, but they ended up heading down the leagues after the Pars. Certainly no players were brought through and sold on for big money.

Given the financial problems, the youth side has come to more prominence but the seeds were sown under a few years back when Stephen Wright was brought in. He really has revamped the youth set-up at EEP, to the point where we've got much larger numbers of kids involved in various age groups and in community programmes. Bringing players into the first team doesn't happen overnight, but there are certainly promising signs for us currently, with the likes of Ryan Williamson breaking through and doing really well at only 17/18. Tellingly, we've had clubs from the Scottish Premiership, and Premiership / Championship clubs in England, both bid for and take some of our players at under-14/15 level on trial.

The club were looking to build on their 3/4 star rating and go for elite status, but that's a no-go given our current league position. The cost of putting together and running an elite academy is substantial on year by year basis and the club simply can't do it in League One - it'd be unlikely even in the Championship. Things are heading in the right direction (consistently invited to join the SPFL under-20s league, one of only three non-Premiership clubs and Rangers to be included, the others being Hamilton and Falkirk) and reaching the Youth Cup final and quarter final in successive seasons. Not bad considering the turmoil the club has faced off the park.

From this season, we're entering a Fife regional academy set-up along with the other three Kingdom clubs, similar to that in Forth Valley between Falkirk and Stenhousemuir. Will be interesting to see how it works out but the theory is that the younger players will get the opportunity to play against the elite clubs, the cost to DAFC and the others will be much less as there will be SFA funding (they're pushing for these academies - I've heard there's a possibility for an Ayrshire one between Ayr and Killie) and the players, although representing the academy, would still be registered with each individual club.

The Pars set-up is by no means the best, but it is heading in the right direction and is vastly improved from the position it was in even 5 years ago.

PJ Crossan in Scotland U17s:

Forwards. Plays for DAFC but listed as being attached to Fife Elite Football Academy)

Aaron Norris (Aberdeen)

Regan Hendry (Celtic)

Calvin Miller (Celtic)

Paul Joseph Crossan (Fife Elite Football Academy)

Jordan Allan (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Theo Archibald (Celtic)

• 2 weeks later...

Entertaining u20s game tonight at Somerset.

Ayr Utd 3 v 2 Queens Park

Ayr used the match to help get Craig Beattie match fit and he showed that he will be a very good signing , Robbie Crawford impressed in Midfield but what a strike to win it from Ryan Nisbet right at the death.

These games are great entertainment and FREE , good wee Crowd in the Somerset Park stand tonight.

Yes great goal to win the game and Nisbet cant be far away from the bench. Robbie Crawford looked decent on the ball in what looked a different team as to the last game Ayr played with big Craig Beattie making a start who looked like he was helping the young lads along during the game and scored a good goal with a good finish. Ayr looked comfortable with maybe a bit more quality in the final 3rd theyd have scored more. Noticed the defence had changed after the Airdrie game and i'm sure the 19s midfielder McCready was centre-half? and with a new left-back. They looked a bit more composed with things since the last game especially after losing an early goal. Was a bit disappointed with Queens who lumped it forward at every opportunity.

PS, Could the club open a coffee stall for these games as its getting colder lol :thumsup2

Archived