All Hurlford United Chat 2014/15

Killiepiyo

Serious question does anyone actually like hurlford. I have spoke to loads of junior people at games and in many online forms and everyone of them can't stand yous. It's strange never known a team to be so disliked.

I think quite the opposite in fact. This season to last season is like night and day in terms of the respect ( if thats the right word ) from other sides. Certainly any team thats met Hurlford in the Scottish Cup seem to quite like the club.

Hurlford will always have this stigma (for a long time anyway). I remember hating Livingston and then Gretna for similar rises through the senior game.

I don't have any figures but I don't think I'm guessing too far off the mark that Hurlfords average crowds are rising which is surely a good thing?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new hurlford fans appearing left right and centre bear a great resemblance to the gobby Gretna fans from a few years ago. Decades of playing in front of no one in the bottom leage then they all come out of the woodwork after a bit of success, disrespecting historic clubs like Pollok.

We all know what happened to them though.

Pollok have done nothing for years but lived off past glories in the belief that they were too big to fail, a bit like RBS or Rangers. A historic club perhaps, but no more relevant in the latter rounds of the Scottish Cup than Dennistoun Waverley or Shawfield Juniors are now. The idea that they should be treated as some sort of footballing deity compared to jumped-up newcomers like Hurlford is a bit strange.

If Hurlford attract a few more fans to the junior game then good, and if they provide a bit of competition to Auchinleck Talbot in the league and Scottish Cup then even better. Because nobody else is doing it.

Pollok have done nothing for years but lived off past glories in the belief that they were too big to fail, a bit like RBS or Rangers. A historic club perhaps, but no more relevant in the latter rounds of the Scottish Cup than Dennistoun Waverley or Shawfield Juniors are now. The idea that they should be treated as some sort of footballing deity compared to jumped-up newcomers like Hurlford is a bit strange.

If Hurlford attract a few more fans to the junior game then good, and if they provide a bit of competition to Auchinleck Talbot in the league and Scottish Cup then even better. Because nobody else is doing it.

Pollok have won 10 trophies in the last 10 years. This includes 3 in the last 5. I doubt anyone other than Talbot or Meadow have a better record in the west.

But the last few pages of this thread have been bizarre or just full of shit, so the first part of your post is in keeping.

Pollok have won 10 trophies in the last 10 years. This includes 3 in the last 5. I doubt anyone other than Talbot or Meadow have a better record in the west.

But the last few pages of this thread have been bizarre or just full of shit, so the first part of your post is in keeping.

So omitting the Central trophies (which Ayrshire sides don't compete for), when was the last time Pollok won the main titles - the West of Scotland, West Premier or Scottish Cup?

I am not a big fan of Pollok but that really is one of the most ridiculous posts i have ever read on here. Seriously wtf comparing one of the biggest clubs in non league football with Shawfield juniors and Dennistoun bloody Waverly. Good god.

I am a lifelong Talbot fan but I think Pollok are a big team. Big support and a long history of success. Just because they don't win the league or the Scottish every other year hardly makes living on past glory.

The game is by folks so move on and look forward to Saturday. There is always next season.

Always enjoy us playing then as its always a hard game.

Fans have a mutual respect for each other but at the same time I don't want them to beat us or win cups we are in.

Hurlford are a decent up and coming set up so its going to interesting watching house they will sustain over the following years.

I am not a big fan of Pollok but that really is one of the most ridiculous posts i have ever read on here. Seriously wtf comparing one of the biggest clubs in non league football with Shawfield juniors and Dennistoun bloody Waverly. Good god.

Biggest club in what regard though? Certainly not recent success. They haven't won the Premier since 2008 and haven't reached the semis of the Scottish since 2009. Aside from a couple of losses in the final of the West they haven't excelled in that recently either. All I've heard since following the juniors is how big a club Pollok are when it seems that outside the central region they've been a bit of an irrelevance, no?

Biggest club in what regard though? Certainly not recent success. They haven't won the Premier since 2008 and haven't reached the semis of the Scottish since 2009. Aside from a couple of losses in the final of the West they haven't excelled in that recently either. All I've heard since following the juniors is how big a club Pollok are when it seems that outside the central region they've been a bit of an irrelevance, no?

IMHO only but I don't think you need to be winning cups every season to be a big club. It's all about the set up and the fanbase, Pollok had both.

So has Glenafton, The Rabs, Kilbirnie, Bo'Ness and even Cumnock lol.

You hear these names in the junior chat and you know they are a big club.

I assume you have been following the juniors since Hurlford came good then.

Based on your logic of the post before this and this one, then only teams who have won a cup in the last few years are worth any note.

So up until last season Hurlford would be an irrelevance. But now one scottish cup victory and they are the big wigs of junior football?

This isn't a dig at Hurlford who I dont have any ill feeling towards as you can see on the earlier post about Saturday's game, more your logic.

I am quite happy with my teams history and standing in junior football and despite not winning the league for a few years they are still the most league wins side since the west introduction. If you wish to disagree then believe me, if your witness 1/4 of the league and cup wins that I have had the pleasure of seeing my side win then your team will have had a lot of success

Just one final point - which I made earlier - two games between the sides and 4-4 over all...so maybe not worth getting too far ahead of yourself.

IMHO only but I don't think you need to be winning cups every season to be a big club. It's all about the set up and the fanbase, Pollok had both.

So has Glenafton, The Rabs, Kilbirnie, Bo'Ness and even Cumnock lol.

You hear these names in the junior chat and you know they are a big club.

If we go by that definition then of course they are, but in much the same way as Hibernian are a big club in the seniors. It doesn't really count for much.

If we go by that definition then of course they are, but in much the same way as Hibernian are a big club in the seniors. It doesn't really count for much.

I think Pollok have won a few more things more recently than Hibs....their last Scottish win was 1902, now I know we have a tough time recently but it's not that bad!

I assume you have been following the juniors since Hurlford came good then.

Based on your logic of the post before this and this one, then only teams who have won a cup in the last few years are worth any note.

So up until last season Hurlford would be an irrelevance. But now one scottish cup victory and they are the big wigs of junior football?

This isn't a dig at Hurlford who I dont have any ill feeling towards as you can see on the earlier post about Saturday's game, more your logic.

I am quite happy with my teams history and standing in junior football and despite not winning the league for a few years they are still the most league wins side since the west introduction. If you wish to disagree then believe me, if your witness 1/4 of the league and cup wins that I have had the pleasure of seeing my side win then your team will have had a lot of success

Just one final point - which I made earlier - two games between the sides and 4-4 over all...so maybe not worth getting too far ahead of yourself.

I'm not a Hurlford supporter so there's no question of me getting ahead of myself. I've been to lots of grounds to see lots of teams this season and for the past few campaigns as well.

This seems to have been sparked off when one of your fellow Pollok fans jealously proclaimed the following:-

Hardly my fault your players are diving wee shites.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the ADL awaits when the money dries up. Just ask Kilwinning/Maryhill/Benburb etc.[\quote]

Then great umbrage was taken when I pointed out that Pollok haven't exactly contributed anything of note in the last few years. I don't think anyone has contradicted that.

Edit:- severe quoting failure that I can't fix.

Jack the roasters fault. Hurlford will keep doing what they do, seems we play better when folk are on here slating hurlford so keep it up, please. 4-4 tho superpollok? That doesn't mean much, we won the junior cup tie so that's fine by me, what's the aggregate when u factor in last seasons league games? 14-7? Really doesn't change any future games, But honestly this is pretty boring now on here. Best of luck with the rest of the season, looking forward to some league action next season already

Jack the roasters fault. Hurlford will keep doing what they do, seems we play better when folk are on here slating hurlford so keep it up, please. 4-4 tho superpollok? That doesn't mean much, we won the junior cup tie so that's fine by me, what's the aggregate when u factor in last seasons league games? 14-7? Doesn't mean much. Best of luck with the rest of the season, looking forward to some league action with yous next year!

The 4-4 comment was just to point out there wasn't much between the sides over two games which seems to be have forgotten.

Never once said it replaced the fact we are out the Scottish cup.

As for last season thankfully the team and manager are very different from the embarrassment on show last year at your ground.

Will be very interesting if you get Talbot in the semi - a hard one to call if your forwards are on form.

Jack the roasters fault. Hurlford will keep doing what they do, seems we play better when folk are on here slating hurlford so keep it up, please. 4-4 tho superpollok? That doesn't mean much, we won the junior cup tie so that's fine by me, what's the aggregate when u factor in last seasons league games? 14-7? Really doesn't change any future games, But honestly this is pretty boring now on here. Best of luck with the rest of the season, looking forward to some league action next season already

Your obsessed! Want my number?

For goodness sake, all kicked off in here! Was hoping things would have gotten a bit quieter following my retirement. Club put me up in a good quality care home near Largs with a sea view room, has more of a airy lavender scent to it that the usual stuffy homes i've visited before. Not bad at all but the Grey Goose Hurlford night life is a tempting mistress, Also the wifi is pretty poor so they let me leave to upload the highlights and what not.

Back to my point in posting :) here's footage from yet another camera! It's from someone keen to get involved in filming games and is going to be helping out in future, if anyone else is considering filming games get in touch with me or the club and more than happily show you what I know. It's edited to show some of the simple things you can do with the software so sorry if it's not as smooth as some of the other videos. Has the usual top quality tunes however ;). Also before I go, can I just confirm I'm killiepiyo, had messages and facebooks wanting to know who was this and that on pie and bovril. I don't know, sorry, just reminds me why I'm in the Largs care home in the first place.

Do I like Hurlford United.Simple answer is yes.

On entering the ground last Saturday you were welcomed by 4 teenagers selling Match Magazines, Raffles & Official Club Merchandise.

Turn right & you have the Catering area, one of the finest, & most reasonably priced in any football ground.

Turn left & you have a Bar facility, not sure of the licensing hours or prices.

Continue walking & you come to a recently resurfaced terracing area.

Will their success be long lasting, who knows. It's like dating a good looking partner, you just enjoy the moment.

But they are a 1st class addition to the Junior game, & like all the big clubs, I hope they hang around for a while yet.

The team, management staff, & committee are not too shabby either.

Do I like Hurlford United.Simple answer is yes.

On entering the ground last Saturday you were welcomed by 4 teenagers selling Match Magazines, Raffles & Official Club Merchandise.

Turn right & you have the Catering area, one of the finest, & most reasonably priced in any football ground.

Turn left & you have a Bar facility, not sure of the licensing hours or prices.

Continue walking & you come to a recently resurfaced terracing area.

Will their success be long lasting, who knows. It's like dating a good looking partner, you just enjoy the moment.

But they are a 1st class addition to the Junior game, & like all the big clubs, I hope they hang around for a while yet.

The team, management staff, & committee are not too shabby either.

Well said Larky. Good community support from the locals that's good to see. They may have even stolen a few of our support and maybe Killie too. They will always be a top league from the Ayrshire area because junior football is in the blood. Glasgow on the other hand not so sure.

Archived