Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

It would be a joke if it happened but would take it if it happened.

As said he never played against St Patricks Athletic. Was his illegibilty by suspension or non registration? The wording MAY BE is important and if Celtic also files a protest (knowing Peter Lawwell he would jump at the opportunity)

Illegibility?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be a joke if it happened but would take it if it happened.

As said he never played against St Patricks Athletic. Was his illegibilty by suspension or non registration? The wording MAY BE is important and if Celtic also files a protest (knowing Peter Lawwell he would jump at the opportunity)

He was suspended for three games. Games are only deducted from your suspension if you're named in the squad. He wasn't in the squad for the St Pats tie so those two games didn't come off his suspension. He still had a three match ban when named in the squad to face you lot.

Obviously Legia haven't realised you need to name the player in the squad, and have assumed the three games played (St Pats twice, Celtic at home) was enough for him to be suspension free, which is wrong. Celtic will be handed the 3-0 win, anything else is flying right in the face of their own rules

Win/win

We get our millions and the rest of Scottish football will be backing us for the coefficient points

Except Standfree.

Seriously though, if we go through this site will crash with the seethe

What a bizarre rule. You have to name a suspended player in your squad, knowing you can't then play him for his suspension to take effect? Seems a rule that's right up insanity lane (or UEFA as we know it)

With limited squads it makes sense. You could argue that their squad in the previous round contained too many players. The place he freed up made way for someone else.

He was suspended for three games. Games are only deducted from your suspension if you're named in the squad. He wasn't in the squad for the St Pats tie so those two games didn't come off his suspension. He still had a three match ban when named in the squad to face you lot.

Obviously Legia haven't realised you need to name the player in the squad, and have assumed the three games played (St Pats twice, Celtic at home) was enough for him to be suspension free, which is wrong. Celtic will be handed the 3-0 win, anything else is flying right in the face of their own rules

Thanks. This was the game he was sent off in last season against Apollon Limassol http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2014/matches/round=2000469/match=2012614/postmatch/index.html

True, but surely the whole point of the suspension system is to punish the player that committed the misdemeanour by not allowing him to play in the next x number of games. The club also suffers by (in theory) losing the services of one of their 'normally played' players.

True, but surely the whole point of the suspension system is to punish the player that committed the misdemeanour by not allowing him to play in the next x number of games. The club also suffers by (in theory) losing the services of one of their 'normally played' players.

In effect, they opted not to pick him rather than him being unavailable for selection.

Utterly ridiculous situation, real schoolboy error stuff from Legia. The Sion case was clear-cut, deliberately fielding ineligible players as a GIRUY to UEFA and daring them to take any action.

This is nonsense though - Legia pumped us fair and square, and could still go out. If I was a Warsaw fan, I'd be spewing at this.

Never mind your post after "but" the facts look like Celtic will go through. Rules are rules.

The club only has X amount of players allowed in a squad for the match. If a player is suspended he needs to be named in a squad to have served his suspension.

It's not a hard concept.

However, in 2010, Uefa fined Debrecen £15,000 but rejected a protest from opponents Litex Lovech, who wanted the Hungarian side kicked out of the tournament for fielding an ineligible player.

Debrecen argued that they fielded Peter Mate in good faith as a substitute in Bulgaria when they were leading 4-1 on aggregate.

Uefa ruled that Debrecen had "no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favour".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28693855

:smartass

Utterly ridiculous situation, real schoolboy error stuff from Legia. The Sion case was clear-cut, deliberately fielding ineligible players as a GIRUY to UEFA and daring them to take any action.

This is nonsense though - Legia pumped us fair and square, and could still go out. If I was a Warsaw fan, I'd be spewing at this.

Its their own fault, If I can know the rules, surely they should

Its their own fault, If I can know the rules, surely they should

Aye, I mean that the Warsaw fans should be spewing at their own club. Keystone Kops stuff here.

Having seen the state of their fans yesterday, if I was part of Legia's backroom staff, I'd be hammering boards over the windows and stocking up on canned food and shotguns. Great vocals and displays, but put me off going to any away games in Poland for life.

Things in Legia's favour are the huge scoreline, the fact he no effect whatsoever on the result, and they obviously tried to follow the rules but misinterpreted them.

Things in Legia's favour are the huge scoreline, the fact he no effect whatsoever on the result, and they obviously tried to follow the rules but misinterpreted them.

The player in question came on and prevented a good six or seven goal scoring chances, as least that's how i recall it from my recently clouded memory.

There is actually

Article 14:

* A match is declared forfeit if a player who has been suspended following a disciplinary decision participates in the match.

* A match may be declared forfeit if a player who is ineligible under the regulations of the competition concerned participates in the match, as long as the opposing club files a protest.

It all comes down to wither or not he was registered for the St.Pats tie to serve the 1st 2 games of the suspension. All indications point to that he was not thus he didnt serve any of the 3 game ban. The rules above make it pretty clear that if he has played when he should have been suspended, the only possible outcome is to forfeit the match 3-0.

Looks black and white, no room for excuses/reasons.

Banned player=void match 3-0 scoreline.

The player in question came on and prevented a good six or seven goal scoring chances, as least that's how i recall it from my recently clouded memory.

Exactly how I remember it, played about 30 minutes, 5 or 6 clearances off the line, cracking player.

Archived