Smoking Banned For Those Born After 2000

Nah. Not keen on such laws. Smoking is clearly a ridiculous and stupid habit and for some reason is one of the two drug addictions that are considered 'acceptable' (think about vaping and the like; you're just getting a hit of your drug of choice; it's pure drug taking and not much different from someone taking heroin every day or whatever), but people should have the choice to be morons.

Smokers should just be confined to little spaces out of sight and made aware just how dirty and disgusting their drug addiction is. Maybe that will deter more folk from doing it.

Mr Bairn, on 24 Jun 2014 - 12:02, said:

Sensationalist title. They haven't even voted yet, and even if they vote in favour it wouldn't be binding unless the government took their recommendations on board.

You shat it. You're dying to take up smoking.

Nah. Not keen on such laws. Smoking is clearly a ridiculous and stupid habit and for some reason is one of the two drug addictions that are considered 'acceptable' (think about vaping and the like; you're just getting a hit of your drug of choice; it's pure drug taking and not much different from someone taking heroin every day or whatever), but people should have the choice to be morons.

Smokers should just be confined to little spaces out of sight and made aware just how dirty and disgusting their drug addiction is. Maybe that will deter more folk from doing it.

I always the thought the ban on smoking failed dreadfully in one aspect, insofar as we now have smokers crowding round the entrance to supermarkets and pubs, making you run a gauntlet of smoke to get in there, and the outdoor seats in coffee shops and restaurants are now a no-no as that is where the smokers are.

Ex-smokers rant now over.

Walked past a pub over here a few days ago, they had a sign on the door saying "We allow smokers inside" or words to that effect. Thought it was funny as it used to be promoted as a selling point if you were a non smoking premises.

I'm as near as dammit a non smoker, I have maybe 3 cigars a year and have never been a ciggie smoker. While we all know that smoking is bad, so is excess alcohol, eating to much sugar and a poor diet in general, I'm not keen on banning generations from smoking, its very big brother. I hate running the gauntlet of smoke that's been mentioned as well but its not enough for me to want to ban it.

I can't help but think this is doctors (who have more than their fair share of smug, God complex feckers in their number) trying to get us to live longer to help their stats, once they ban tabs it will be booze, or sweets or whatever. I'm sure it will ease the burden on the NHS and make their lives easer but they should be advising not dictating what it is that we do. A fair number of them have problems with drink and/or booze themselves and really do go down the Hypocritic route, do as I say, not as I do.

In summary, they should be there to advise, its the ego of some of these guys that push them to try and push through legislation, its the thin edge of the wedge, we'll all be getting up and doing calisthenics before going to work and no peeve to relax us when we finish.

I always the thought the ban on smoking failed dreadfully in one aspect, insofar as we now have smokers crowding round the entrance to supermarkets and pubs, making you run a gauntlet of smoke to get in there, and the outdoor seats in coffee shops and restaurants are now a no-no as that is where the smokers are.

Ex-smokers rant now over.

Not really the ban as such - there is a set distance you should be from the entrance of a building before you can smoke - it's the fact it's not well enforced.

I was working for the council in Aberdeen when the ban came in and they started recruiting smoking officers to go around telling people "you can't smoke that there" and hand out fines, no real authority at all. At 18k a year (roughly) there weren't an awful lot of applicants. Who's going to risk getting their face smacked off a drunk person on a Saturday night for telling them to put their fag out for that sort of pay? I think it got readvertised at a higher wage but didn't do an awful lot better.

In fairness, people in the main did just accept the ban (even if they don't think to walk away from the fucking door of the pub they're in). People don't light up in pubs out of defiance like some expected to happen.

I'm as near as dammit a non smoker, I have maybe 3 cigars a year and have never been a ciggie smoker. While we all know that smoking is bad, so is excess alcohol, eating to much sugar and a poor diet in general, I'm not keen on banning generations from smoking, its very big brother. I hate running the gauntlet of smoke that's been mentioned as well but its not enough for me to want to ban it.

I can't help but think this is doctors (who have more than their fair share of smug, God complex feckers in their number) trying to get us to live longer to help their stats, once they ban tabs it will be booze, or sweets or whatever. I'm sure it will ease the burden on the NHS and make their lives easer but they should be advising not dictating what it is that we do. A fair number of them have problems with drink and/or booze themselves and really do go down the Hypocritic route, do as I say, not as I do.

In summary, they should be there to advise, its the ego of some of these guys that push them to try and push through legislation, its the thin edge of the wedge, we'll all be getting up and doing calisthenics before going to work and no peeve to relax us when we finish.

That makes zero difference. A pointless argument. They choose to do so, and they know the consequences. It's their job to tell people of the consequences of such poor decisions; they don't have to be role models.

Also in my experience the vast majority of doctors I've come in to contact with don't have this 'god complex' or are ego driven as you state.

Well, there's some nonsense. I'm glad we got this out the way early in the thread.

No surprises to see doctors showing a complete disregard to civil liberties where health is concerned. Doctors do a lot of good work, but much of what they have to say on policy should be condemned for the authoritarian claptrap it is.

I don't smoke and am of the opinion it's a disgusting habit. However, this is an appalling policy idea.