Champions League 2014/15

lichtie23

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no such thing as obstruction in the laws of the game.

Seems like a pedantic point at best, given that the word "obstructing" is mentioned in the rules to do with impeding the progress of an opponent.

In any case, it should have been a penalty. Ramos impeded Torres's progress in a way that wasn't just shielding the ball IMO.

Ramos deliberately went and stood in front of Torres. Didn't even go for the ball. Just went and stood in front of him with the intention of obstructing him. That's a foul and penalty, no matter what Torres was looking for.

Ramos deliberately went and stood in front of Torres. Didn't even go for the ball. Just went and stood in front of him with the intention of obstructing him. That's a foul and penalty, no matter what Torres was looking for.

No its an indirect free-kick for obstruction.

Thought Koke, Ramos and Varane were magnificent.

Man Utd should burst the bank for Koke in the summer, what a player. Turan was great too.

What? Ramos never knew what day of the week it was, Torres turned him inside out. Stonewaller.

Well it certainly wasn't a penalty - it would've been in indirect free kick if anything. I just thought it all happened too quick for Ramos to deliberately block him.

Well it certainly wasn't a penalty - it would've been in indirect free kick if anything. I just thought it all happened too quick for Ramos to deliberately block him.

It looked deliberate to me. He looked to block Torres's run to the ball and in the process made contact with him. I thought that obstruction used to be an indirect free kick in the box, but since changing the rules (and taking away obstruction as such) any actual contact in impeding turns it into charging (and a direct free kick or penalty).

I'm not always great at interpreting the rules though.

you having a giraffe? Ramos got turned inside out, and knowing exactly what he was doing moved his body in front of Torres to block his path to the ball with zero intention of playing the ball. He knew exactly what he was doing!

If magnificent is misplacing passes and being caught in possession, yeah I agree.

I agree with this. Really rate Koke, it's easy to see why he is so highly rated. But last night certainly wasn't his best. At his best he completely controls the show.

To the letter of the law, yes. But genuinely how often do referees give a free kick in hose situations?

So are you saying the rules shouldn't be applied? Tbf there aren't many cases of obstruction inside the box so I'm not sure whether refs give free kicks or penalties in those situations.

No, I only learnt of the impeding rule today. Of course there are, there's instances every game, the referees just don't give them. I've just watched it again, there's no way Torres runs into Ramos. He's totally sold him and Ramos sees him and blocks his path whilst being nowhere near the ball.

Agree with this.

Even his reaction, waving his hand as if to say 'get up', suggests he knows he's done wrong. Torres turned him inside out and it was a clear foul.

Obstruction is never given now in any situation really, players letting the ball run out of play for a goal kick/corner/throw in quite blatantly block the opposition off with no attempt to play the ball.

Yeah, I agree, but by the same token defenders aren't obliged to jump out of the way. When I saw this on TV last night my first impression was no pen. Torres seemed to concertina down with his arms out pleading, which never helps either.

I goes without saying that the Torres of 7 or 8 years ago smokes Ramos then belts it in. That's it in microcosm. Thesedays the mind is still sharp but he hasn't quite got the athleticism ("spark") required to be a top, top player imo.

Overall as someone mentioned it was a great 0-0. Bale and Benzema largely did hee haw but Atletico's defence takes the credit for that. They graft, niggle and defend as a team although the goalie got them out of jail once or twice. Second leg should be a decent watch.

Yeah, I agree, but by the same token defenders aren't obliged to jump out of the way.

Players should be trying to play the ball not the man, and shielding it out is the exact opposite of playing the ball. I'm not saying it should be a foul to shield the ball out, because it's just part of the game, but just that obstruction isn't really much of a rule at all now.

"Koke was magnificent" :lol: c**t lost the ball basically everytime he got it :lol:

Yeah, if five times all game counts as every time he got it. He was magnificent first half, faded in the second.

I think some people just don't understand what they're seeing tbh. His job along with Turan and Griezmann was to keep the ball when they got it, allow them to get out.

He was doing this under enormous pressure with no support at all, as they couldn't get out very often. As ever, he showed incredible technique and composure, huge balls and lots of intelligence in his play.

Top, top, top midfielder would walk straight into any team in the world, will probably be at Barcelona or Man Utd/Man City very soon.

The third "top" has me convinced.

I don't think anyone's arguing he's not a very good player but he was a long way off "magnificent" last night. If he was so magnificent in the first half why did his team get overrun?

Archived