Scottish Independence - How Will You Vote? MkIII

Ludo*1

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the Scottish Independence sub-forum.

If you want to talk about Westminster in isolation, do so on the General Nonsense thread.

So why do continue to talk about the SNP all the time?

Of course it's possible. Is that in the White Paper? What is the "living wage" incidentally?

Yes. A living wage is a mininum wage thats linked to inflation. Its in the white paper.

Here to help.

I believe the current living wage calculation is £7.65 ph. The current min wage is £6.31.

This is the Scottish Independence sub-forum.

If you want to talk about Westminster in isolation, do so on the General Nonsense thread.

If you want to talk about the SNP in isolation, do so to the nearest wall. You're a poor man's Ad Lib.

Yes. A living wage is a mininum wage thats linked to inflation. Its in the white paper.

Here to help.

I believe the current living wage calculation is £7.65 ph. The current min wage is £6.31.

A living wage is not merely a minimum wage that is linked to inflation. A living wage is calculated according to "the basic cost of living" in a particular society thus also insists upon a particular "floor level" rate of pay. A minimum wage which is set at a rate which is lower than the living wage will not become the living wage simply because it is up-rated in line with inflation.

Is it at all possible for a government to charge a lower rate of corperation tax and also demand these corperations pay their workers at minimun the living wage?

Or is that beyond the realms of possobility?

Introducing a living-wage-level minimum wage simultaneously with a 3% cut in corporation tax would disproportionately benefit... large corporations already paying, for the most part, living wage rates. It will disproportionately harm: smaller companies turning modest or no profits for whom low-skilled labour is responsible for a high proportion of their turnover.

Introducing a living-wage-level minimum wage simultaneously with a 3% cut in corporation tax would disproportionately benefit... large corporations already paying, for the most part, living wage rates. It will disproportionately harm: smaller companies turning modest or no profits for whom low-skilled labour is responsible for a high proportion of their turnover.

Then charge a differing rate depending on size of company.

A flat rate for all does not have to be the only way.

Then charge a differing rate depending on size of company.

A flat rate for all does not have to be the only way.

We already do this. The SNP aren't proposing to have radically different rates of corporation tax for different companies. They are proposing an across the board cut.

Besides which, for companies making relatively little in profits, a lower rate won't make much of a difference. The living wage significantly increases their overheads.

We already do this. The SNP aren't proposing to have radically different rates of corporation tax for different companies. They are proposing an across the board cut.

Besides which, for companies making relatively little in profits, a lower rate won't make much of a difference. The living wage significantly increases their overheads.

So each compony will have a reduction in line with size of compony?

Also componies should not have to pay a living wage because not all componies can afford to do so?

Does that mean I dont have to pay my council tax because not every council tax payer can afford to do so?

So each compony will have a reduction in line with size of compony?

We have reduced rates for certain companies in, among other things, oil and gas.

Also componies should not have to pay a living wage because not all componies can afford to do so?

I didn't say that. I said that trying to mitigate the right wing corporation tax policy of the SNP with them saying "oh but we'd introduce a living wage" doesn't alter the fact that those policies will benefit large corporations and harm small business.

Does that mean I dont have to pay my council tax because not every council tax payer can afford to do so?

No. I didn't say that.

You'd think, according to Ad Lib and H_B that cutting corporation tax was the sole SNP policy.

You'd also think, according to the gruesome twosome, that independence is solely about the SNP.

Thank christ some of us are a bit more broad minded than them.

I could be wrong but I think he's referring to tax breaks received for exploration companies?

Could be, perhaps he could issue a correction then. If I remember correctly oil and gas companies are liable for RFCT which is actually higher than CT.

According to BT, UK gov and the rest, all these corporations are going to leave after a yes vote. A tax cut might persuade them to stay or make it easier for another company to replace them. So.....

Either , a lot of corporations are going to leave and this might help to keep them or ...

It's a load of pish and none of them are going to leave and this corporation tax cut is a waste of time.

I'd much prefer the latter :)

So you were speaking pish about corporation tax.

There are countless industries at which exemptions are targeted to reduce the effective rate of corporation tax levied on those sectors. This is not "speaking pish about corporation tax".

Archived