some amateur teams pay more than junior teams why ?

jimwithabigdog

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bannockburn have always been a great club in amateur fitba,there was a lot of folk wanting them to go junior in the 80s due to them being in an area with so few junior clubs compared to the likes of Knockentiber.Clubs in the Caledonian League need to play in an enclosed ground and some are better than a lot of junior grounds,Clydebank played at Drumchapel for a good few seasons.They are not allowed to pay players and that fact that a small village like Hurlford currently houses the junior and amateur scottish champs is just a coincidence :).Everybody knows players are reimbursed in some fashion or other at the top level teams...proving it is a different matter.Crosshouse Waverley were caught in the 80s.In the ammies you can get kicked out for constant indiscipline,like Shortlees were and any threatning of officials can also lead to expulsion,players who headbutt an opponent can get bans from anywhere from 6 months to a year.There are many players who play ammie either cause its their village team,to play with mates or cause they dont have to be available to do the training nights,unlike if they went junior.Certain clubs give the ammies a bad name and its a shame,the vast majority of folk play ammie for the love of the game,many also play Sunday league.

After being at camelon previously, Watson was released to join a fife junior team last season and getting bloody good money. He was also offered another deal this season at camelon and Danny smith wanted him as back up at Linlithgow and I know also know that he was wanted by other juniors , so I would say it is a bit of a shock when offers like that are on the table and he goes to play for an amateur side 'for nothing.' I managed a club in the john smiths central afl a few years ago and yeah it is a top league as far as amateurs are concerned , but all the top sides were pumping money into players with no way of recouping their losses.....drumchapel were league winners , Scottish winners etc, 4 Scottish amateur players in the side at the time. where are they now? They are out the game because once the money game starts it has to be maintained season after season . I know with the falkirk afc situation that anyone that was contacted by them wanted money because they knew others were getting it , so this situation spirals out of control .

hahahaha We never paid anyone at Falkirk amateurs in the two year I was there JuniorG. We had some cracking players I'll grant you that and we played on a brand new pitch up falkirk high or occasionally at Grangemouth Stadium but the boys were mostly all mates. Michael Watson was our Keeper and is a mate of mine who opted to play amateurs due to family reasons this season, it had nothing to do with money. £1000 to sign for Falkirk, aye nae bother

Had to comment here, due to some of the statements being made.

I played at Drumchapel Utd during the days where we were reaching Scottish Cup finals, winning leagues etc. For someone to say the reason that this Drumchapel Utd team disbanded was because of money, is completely untrue.

A lot of the boys, myself included felt we had achieved everything we could and had the option to go play elsewhere at amateur level, but not for money! Just for a better set up, clubhouse and pitch.

You will find that all the boys are particularly good friends on and off the field, so when one decided to make a move, the rest followed suit.

I have sat in dressing rooms at Drumchapel Utd & Colville Park and can ensure you that the boys actually pay money to play! I'm not disputing that some of the boys may have had jobs working for guys who were involved in the club, but they were not being paid silly wages - they were being paid in line with the rest of the employees. If they were supposed to be picking up that much money for football, then they were significantly underpaid!

So why do the lads decide to play amateur, rather than junior? Truthfully, because most enjoy it more. They play with their mates and perhaps some do like being a big fish in a small pond.

However, this nonsense about players at Drumchapel & Colville is untrue. I'm not saying it doesn’t happen at other clubs, I can only comment on what i have been involved in and seen with my own eyes.

As soon as a team are successful, everyone is desperate to accuse them of doing something illegal / throwing money about. Every now and then you get a bunch of mates, who are all good footballers and enjoy playing together!

You will find that all the boys are particularly good friends on and off the field in the juniors mate trust me! On a personal level I have received a lump sum at the end of a season playing amateur, didn't receive a wage but I was never asked to pay a tenner. I agree with you to a certain extent about clubs who perform well and then accused of throwing money about which isn't always the case but lets be honest it's always going to happen ;)

As much as that? I been hearing figures much lower and thinking well if it was a toss up between £100 per month and playing with yer pals with no pressure or hassles to perform/make training/ etc then it can be easy, but if your talking £300 pm or there abouts then yeah that's a good bit to miss out on

There are very few amateur clubs that give players money in any shape or form,problem is that all clubs end up getting tarred with the same brush and it gives the amateurs a bad name.There are not many junior clubs that run with a squad of pro's,many are amateur and many junior clubs are amateur in all but name yet it costs 4 quid to watch a bottom league junior match where you will be lucky if half a dozen players are on pro contracts.How do junior clubs attract players to play for them for nothing.?.....unless you are cotter :)

There are very few amateur clubs that give players money in any shape or form,problem is that all clubs end up getting tarred with the same brush and it gives the amateurs a bad name.There are not many junior clubs that run with a squad of pro's,many are amateur and many junior clubs are amateur in all but name yet it costs 4 quid to watch a bottom league junior match where you will be lucky if half a dozen players are on pro contracts.How do junior clubs attract players to play for them for nothing.?.....unless you are cotter :)

its just my good patter,,,,

As much as that? I been hearing figures much lower and thinking well if it was a toss up between £100 per month and playing with yer pals with no pressure or hassles to perform/make training/ etc then it can be easy, but if your talking £300 pm or there abouts then yeah that's a good bit to miss out on

Even a ton a month pays your sky tv bill or some other household necessity. Once players have had the money they'll notice it when it goes.

Let's face it, Scotland is way behind in clearing up the Amateur status. Can anyone tell me that Queens Park in one guise or another are amateur, play for the love of the game and in no way pay their players? Rubbish.

England abolished the amateur rank over 20 years ago. The amateurs used to have their Cup Final at Wembley drawing huge crowds but with the introduction of their pyramid system a more honest outcome arose.

One of my junior mates tells me that not too many years ago a junior club had to deal with signing FOUR different forms. Today he thinks it has been reduced to a nominal Pro or Amateur.

Why on earth cannot the SFA /SJFA/Amateurs all get together and follow Englands lead in having simply ONE form to sign for a club, with if cash is being paid a seperate contract drawn up.

My Junior mate informs me that Tom Johnstone would fight it all the way as it would deprive them of the most ridiculous penalty placed on all junior clubs the £40 reinstatement fee. Why do you juniors stand for this? Are there no clubs out there with an ounce of sense to throw out this stupid millstone around their necks and abolish the £40 fee (For what?)

Let's face it, Scotland is way behind in clearing up the Amateur status. Can anyone tell me that Queens Park in one guise or another are amateur, play for the love of the game and in no way pay their players? Rubbish.

England abolished the amateur rank over 20 years ago. The amateurs used to have their Cup Final at Wembley drawing huge crowds but with the introduction of their pyramid system a more honest outcome arose.

One of my junior mates tells me that not too many years ago a junior club had to deal with signing FOUR different forms. Today he thinks it has been reduced to a nominal Pro or Amateur.

Why on earth cannot the SFA /SJFA/Amateurs all get together and follow Englands lead in having simply ONE form to sign for a club, with if cash is being paid a seperate contract drawn up.

My Junior mate informs me that Tom Johnstone would fight it all the way as it would deprive them of the most ridiculous penalty placed on all junior clubs the £40 reinstatement fee. Why do you juniors stand for this? Are there no clubs out there with an ounce of sense to throw out this stupid millstone around their necks and abolish the £40 fee (For what?)

All clubs above park amateurs (from SPFL Premier to Portgordon Vics in the Juniors) use the same forms (Professional / Non Contract Professional / Amateur / Youth). Reinstatement is on top of that.

A player being paid signs a Professional form.

A player who has professional status but is not being paid signs a Non Contract Professional form.

A player who has amateur status and is not being paid signs an Amateur form.

Youth form I think up to 17 years old at these clubs.

Archived