Ukrainian Premier League

~~~

Apologies to start a thread on it, but just looking for some information

What's going to be happening this season with the league?

I can't see Shakhtar Donetsk pitching up to play Dynamo Kiev, or vice versa due to the ongoing civil war,are UEFA going to allow Shakhtar to play in the Champions League etc..?

Shakhtar will probably be forced to play their European matches at a neutral venue, likely in Cyprus since that's what the Ukraine national team and Dynamo Kiev had to do last season.

UEFA have also said that Russian and Ukrainian teams won't be allowed to play against each other.

As far as the Ukrainian league goes, I have no idea.

According to Uefa. no European matches will be played in the country. and both Russian and Ukrainian teams will be kept apart

That link says that matches can be played in Kiev, Lviv, Dnipropetrovsk and Odessa. Maybe you're getting it mixed up with Israel?

Completely hypothetical and I don't expect an answer, but what if, say, Zenit St. Petersburg and Shakhtar Donetsk both reached the final of the Champion's League or even the Europa League?

Completely hypothetical and I don't expect an answer, but what if, say, Zenit St. Petersburg and Shakhtar Donetsk both reached the final of the Champion's League or even the Europa League?

It would be played at a neutral venue regardless

It would be played at a neutral venue regardless

Of course, in Berlin or Warsaw, but I'm sure they'd like to keep the clubs away from each other anyway even if it wasn't in Russia or Ukraine. I was thinking along the lines of whether it would be behind closed doors or something like that.

6 Shakhtar players are currently refusing to get on a plane to return to Ukraine after a friendly againsy Lyon yesterday.

Can't blame them either

Statement from Shakhtar on the players refusing to return, not a surprise it's the south americans, they also want to play in the UPL this season, but know playing in Donetsk is out of the question

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/32337

Rinat Akhmetov: If players don’t come, they’ll be first to suffer

An excellent choice of words about guys not wanting to return to a war zone. Sounds like they have the same PR advisor as Saints.

Shaktar have came to an arrangement, they'll be based in Kiev and will be playing home games within Lviv, 600 miles from Donetsk.

Looks like the league will go ahead as normal. Which is rather surprising during the middle of a civil war

Wonder if the players who stayed behind in France would be willing to come back.

Shaktar have came to an arrangement, they'll be based in Kiev and will be playing home games within Lviv, 600 miles from Donetsk.

Looks like the league will go ahead as normal. Which is rather surprising during the middle of a civil war

Wonder if the players who stayed behind in France would be willing to come back.

They get the 'monkey chants' at the best of times over that way. No wonder they are shitting it to go back.

• 1 month later...

Archived