St Mirren vs Dunfermline - League Cup 2nd Round - Tuesday 26th August

dafcburty

We were honking and didn't deserve to win that. We have Ball and Caldwell to thank for tonight.

In saying that we didn't deserve to lose again Motherwell and Dundee and we did. However we will never get away with that performance in the league. Tommy needs to sort this and quickly.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full time 2-1

Woof, harsh on Dunfermline who more than matched us for long spells. Was very impressed with them, number 10 and 11 in particular.

There was one difference between the teams, and that difference was Ross Caldwell, he looks a proper player.

We are through though and that's all that really matters. Onwards and upwards.

Who were 10 and 11?

Glad to hear we gave them a game. Disappointing result but the performances seem to be slowly improving.

Have to be pleased with giving an SPL side a game. Looks like we maybe showed them too much respect and controlled lots of the game.

We play better when teams have a go at us.

Yep, so frustrating to shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again.

Going right back to playing Aberdeen off the pitch a couple of years back. JJ cannot sort it.

The thing I'm most annoyed at is that St.Mirren were there for the taking but failing to take our chances and defensive lapses were our undoing again.

I thought Ryan Thomson was immense for us but I also thought Geggan had another shocker.

Have to be pleased with giving an SPL side a game. Looks like we maybe showed them too much respect and controlled lots of the game.

We play better when teams have a go at us.

I actually thought we gave you too little respect.

Even in the second half. which is bizarre considering we were already a goal down.

Almost as if we just expected that we'd eventually win anyway.

Nuts!

Well that was another frustrating pile of shite performance!! Only positives we can take is that Caldwell did well when he came on , we scored an actual goal and we're through to the next round.

We were very slow and one dimensional in midfield, Osborne constantly slowed play down and deserved to be subbed at half time. In saying that he could of taken any of the midfield off after the first half tonight. McLean just isn't doing it at the minute, I actually think a week or two on the bench would do him good to bring him back down to earth.

Dundee United on Saturday - we better raise our game! COYS

We were poor and Dunfermline were very unlucky not to get at least extra-time. Falkingham was excellent for them. I thought Plummer and Tesselaar played well for us, McGinn and McLean had quiet games and Thompson didn't look anywhere near fit. Seemed like a daft gamble to me to play him in the early rounds of the League Cup and risk further injury. To be honest, I thought Caldwell did almost nothing right apart from his two finishes for the goals but at least someone found the net. Ball links up play well but there's no point in lumping through balls past him repeatedly as he's never going to reach them.

Thought we were excellent for the most part. You'd have to really be looking for faults to criticise any of our players tonight. I know people are on the "JJ Out" bandwagon just now, so there will be a few who will pick holes and add it to the case against him. Honestly I thought first half his plan could scarcely have gone any better. Got an early goal and then soaked up the pressure and restricted St Mirren to very few chances. Thought our defending was top drawer in the opening 45 actually.

Second half, Williamson forgets how to defend again and just lets Caldwell run and run and run without bothering to make a tackle or close him down properly. It's great play from Caldwell but should never be allowed to get the shot away as easy as he did. Thought we responded really well to the equaliser and piled forward any chance we could get but never really tested Kello. Few corners and blocked shots, although Josh came really close with a shot on the turn.

Their winner was predictable but disappointing. I suppose if you do want to get on at JJ, then he really should have put some fresh legs on about 10 minutes before the winner. Players were still working hard and playing well but Saints were spreading the ball about really nicely at times and we were struggling to keep up. We did perform very well though and if we play with that tempo and commitment in our league games then we'll comfortably win the title.

Spence was very impressive IMO. He's what I hoped Byrne would be. Thomson had one of the best games I've ever seen in a Pars shirt. Ugwu and Moffat were a handful without ever looking like they were going to burst the net. Falkingham was good but would have been a lot better without his very harsh early booking. Geggan was fairly quiet. The defence and Scully were great for the most part and Millen and Williamson were both fantastic in the first half, especially when you consider Millen isn't even a left back. Anyone know why Faissal missed out?

St Mirren are clearly not in a great place at the moment and the fans seemed very unimpressed with their display. Was also sad to see Steven Thompson, once an excellent striker, so clearly finished. Hooked at half time and Saints were much improved without him. Imagine this must be about his last season?

Anyway, good performance. Guys all worked very hard and we were miles better than they were against Brechin. Hopefully they go to Stranraer on Saturday and put in a similar display and we get this season started properly.

St Mirren are clearly not in a great place at the moment and the fans seemed very unimpressed with their display. Was also sad to see Steven Thompson, once an excellent striker, so clearly finished. Hooked at half time and Saints were much improved without him. Imagine this must be about his last season?

Not fit. Has had no pre-season due to injury. Has played 30 minutes this season before tonight and by all accounts is still injured/tweeked it again.

There is always a concern that, at Thommo's age you don't come back from these silly things.

No.2 was Ryan Williamson I believe? He's shite though, you don't want him.

He does however want Ryan Thomson. Im sure Dunfermline fans would welcome being ridded of that

He does however want Ryan Thomson. Im sure Dunfermline fans would welcome being ridded of that

The ginger boy for Dunfermline was very good.

Ryan Thomson had an excellent game.

Was Moffat annon ?

He wasn't excellent but he played pretty well I thought. Kept going wide and doing a good job although he should really be in the middle. That's what happens when you lack width of course.

Archived