Good Idea Or Lunacy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28716403

I can see the logic in charging an overburdened NHS for self-inflicted injuries, but there are many flaws in this line of thinking.

What if I was drunk but perfectly behaved as I returned from a quiet night out and some idiot walked up and punched me before fleeing, causing a severe facial injury? I'm drunk, therefore I must pay? I think not.

There are also many types of self inflicted cases - obesity, drug-addiction, self-harm. Where do we draw the line?

Add in NHS funded boob jobs so that someone can become a "model", not to mention health tourism that is rarely charged for and you open up a whole rather large can of worms.

What do P&Ber's think?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28716403

I can see the logic in charging an overburdened NHS for self-inflicted injuries, but there are many flaws in this line of thinking.

What if I was drunk but perfectly behaved as I returned from a quiet night out and some idiot walked up and punched me before fleeing, causing a severe facial injury? I'm drunk, therefore I must pay? I think not.

There are also many types of self inflicted cases - obesity, drug-addiction, self-harm. Where do we draw the line?

Add in NHS funded boob jobs so that someone can become a "model", not to mention health tourism that is rarely charged for and you open up a whole rather large can of worms.

What do P&Ber's think?

My Wife had a NHS funded boob job due to breast cancer so please do not tar every women with the same brush.

As for the fines - it is a non starter. I pay my national insurance so they can bolt if they think I am paying extra for injuring myself.

My Wife had a NHS funded boob job due to breast cancer so please do not tar every women with the same brush.

As for the fines - it is a non starter. I pay my national insurance so they can bolt if they think I am paying extra for injuring myself.

I thought I made it quite clear that I was referring to the idiot who wanted to be a model - will find link about her later.

I fully support all plastic surgery for cancers, burns etc.

The nurse in the report wondering where the line would be drawn and up to them to make that call is bang on.

Seems to be down to the idea that "the health minister is concerned about the number of patients who require treatment because of their own irresponsible behaviour" rather than just targetting drink / drugs, which makes you wonder if they'd have to extend this.

For example, many would call bass-jumping off of cliffs irresponsible but what if they miss and break a leg? Is that then suddenly chargeable?

Additionally, the only time I've been to A&E was when I got jumped on my way home from a night out and got a nasty eyebrow gash which needed stitching. All folk seemed to care about was whether it was another alcohol statistic for their forms and I got the underlying vibe / feeling that they just thought "the stupid bugger probably brought this on himself".

I'm all for this, the amount of absolute weapons clogging up A&E on a Friday and Saturday night is staggering. It could be the difference between you or a loved one receiving treatment that could save their life.

People should also be charged for not turning up at hospital or GP appointments, without good reason.

Maybe this charge could be collected through some form of taxation?

You seem to be suggesting that because people already pay tax they can choose if they want to turn up or not after having made an appointment.

Making that kind of argument would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Well done for making that argument.

You seem to be suggesting that because people already pay tax they can choose if they want to turn up or not after having made an appointment.

Making that kind of argument would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Well done for making that argument.

Apologies I misread your post. I thought you were suggesting there should be a charge for using the NHS if there's nothing or little wrong with you.

Apologies I misread your post. I thought you were suggesting there should be a charge for using the NHS if there's nothing or little wrong with you.

Cool.

There are some people who will turn up blootered almost every weekend and who are well known to staff. It's usually a fight, or cuts and bruises they have or some other attention seeking minor injury. these cvnts should be taken to task.

Cool.

There are some people who will turn up blootered almost every weekend and who are well known to staff. It's usually a fight, or cuts and bruises they have or some other attention seeking minor injury. these cvnts should be taken to task.

From your post I guess you work in A&E so I'm asking a genuine question here, are a lot of these 'repeat customers' suffering from other issues like mental health or drug misuse that could be tackled seperately ? It seems to me that A&E is a bit of a dumping ground and from experience of other sections of government spending budget holders are keen to ring fence their little sections at the expense of others. Just curious really

From your post I guess you work in A&E so I'm asking a genuine question here, are a lot of these 'repeat customers' suffering from other issues like mental health or drug misuse that could be tackled seperately ? It seems to me that A&E is a bit of a dumping ground and from experience of other sections of government spending budget holders are keen to ring fence their little sections at the expense of others. Just curious really

I don't work directly in A&E but have occasion to be there sometimes. You are right about it being a dumping ground for people with mental health issues or drug or alcohol issues. Often police or ambulance crews bring people in who don't need treatment but feel they have to, often they just wait til they are sober and they get turfed out.

Worse still are the bell ends who get drunk, get into a fight and turn up at A&E most weekends to get stitched or have an xray. Often they turn up with several drunk mates or emotional wreck of a girlfriend and turn the place into an absolute circus. Very often there is f**k all wrong with them.

Guest The Phoenix

There are some people who will turn up blootered almost every weekend and who are well known to staff.

That's Doctors for you. :rolleyes:

I thought I made it quite clear that I was referring to the idiot who wanted to be a model - will find link about her later.

I fully support all plastic surgery for cancers, burns etc.

I actually mis read you OP bud. My appolgies.

Have read many newpapers and heard people suggest that only women who want to become models or really do not breast reconstruction get it and it makes me fume. It is designed so people like my wife and others who need it should get it. That lassie you are on about is an attention seeking cow and unless she had some medical reason for it then should never been offered it.

Where do you draw the line?

2 pints? three pints? 1 whiskey or two?

What about people who play sports? people who play rugby know they risk injuring themselves therefore is this deemed irrisponsible?

Again I pay my national insurance therefore they can jog on thinking i'll ever be charged using to use the NHS.

Where do you draw the line?

2 pints? three pints? 1 whiskey or two?

What about people who play sports? people who play rugby know they risk injuring themselves therefore is this deemed irrisponsible?

Yeah that's what I was taking about people that have 2 pints should be charged for using the NHS. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I was taking about people that have 2 pints should be charged for using the NHS. :rolleyes:

I certainly see where he's getting at anyway. In other words, how do you define a cut off where somebody should be charged or not for being drunk or not? Tipsy, staggering around a bit or just completely paralytic?

Archived