Radical Independence Campaign at Football Grounds this Saturday

CityDave

RIC Day of Action at Football Grounds

August 8, 2014

FITBADAY.png

On Saturday 16 August, Radical Independence groups across the country will be leafleting football grounds and holding a major voter registration drive. This will be taking place in collaboration with fans groups, and we’ll also be handing out A3 Yes posters in team colours, asking fans to display them during the 18th minute of the match.

With just weeks to go until the referendum, we are seeking to engage as many people as possible on the case for a Yes vote, with a number of events planned in the coming weeks.

Check beck for details of which football stadiums we’ll be outside on Saturday 16 August and how you can get involved!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't imagine me holding up anything at the football, we spend enough time yapping about Ayr without bringing the referendum into it.

This has forced nationalism all over it. As you probably are aware at American sporting events they get all patriotic and stand up put their right hand to their heart and sing the stars and stripes. Anyone who doesn't join in is viewed with suspicion.

For someone who has not made my mind up about the question I find this attempt to highjack football matches across the country slightly disturbing and I would think the same if the Better Together Mob tried this stunt.

I saw Celtic (The Green Brigade, in fact) are doing a similar thing for their home match.

As much as I'm for independence I don't think this belongs at the football, I'll head along to a match with family or mates from both sides of the debate with no intention of thinking about the referendum. Fair enough if people want to canvass outside the stadium, and I would probably encourage that, it's best to leave it outside, no point separating a team's fans for the sake of something non-football related.

Like CityDave I'd be mortified if Better Together were telling me to hold up a sign at a football match for their own agenda.

This has forced nationalism all over it. As you probably are aware at American sporting events they get all patriotic and stand up put their right hand to their heart and sing the stars and stripes. Anyone who doesn't join in is viewed with suspicion.

For someone who has not made my mind up about the question I find this attempt to highjack football matches across the country slightly disturbing and I would think the same if the Better Together Mob tried this stunt.

What do you expect me to say?

I could ream off a long list of BetterTogether stunts that I find abhorrent, I certainly don't feel like I live in a democratic country anymore, in my world democracies should tell both sides of the story, at the moment I actually have to make an effort to see one side of the story.

What do you expect me to say?

I could ream off a long list of BetterTogether stunts that I find abhorrent, I certainly don't feel like I live in a democratic country anymore, in my world democracies should tell both sides of the story, at the moment I actually have to make an effort to see one side of the story.

I've avoided most of it so far to avoid the shitefest this brings and I can see with those either unable to avoid or have been used to it for the last year are getting weary of the whole thing. What matters is your own answer and don't allow these PR people and their puppet masters to grind you down.

Keep politics out of football and sports in general please. These things can take place outside of grounds if people so desire, but they should not take place inside sporting events. At the Commonwealth Games there was mass outrage that someone was ejected from an event because they displayed a yes banner, where it specifically says on the ticket that political messages of any sort are not permitted inside any arena.

Oh shite, Celtic fans or rather the Green Brigade are going to love this as an excuse to show their banners at games from now on. This could be an own goal by any football club that allows this to happen inside their ground.

Uefa banned political banners from CL and Europa League games, is this the same with the SFA?

I'm the same, I've no time for it at the football, good point about the yanks too. It might cause a bit of bother I suppose so I can't see clubs being keen on it. I feel the same about both sides before anyone suggests otherwise.

I think it's good though am not able to take part.

Politics and sport collide all the time whether we like it or not - remembering the war dead, silences for Princess Di and the Pope, protesting against Thatcher at the cup final.

Plus it'll wind up most of this lot:

1259744705.jpg

Let them get on with it, I would imagine it will piss more supporters off than it will engage.

Reckon fans are already f*cked off with how football is continually used as political vehicle.

For me I've already made plans to go through to Aberdeen this weekend to watch the North Juniors match between East End and Inverness City so I will miss this, thankfully, but if I was down at Fir Park this weekend I would avoid anyone involved and I would refuse a card. This stuff has no place inside a football ground same as political banners and political songs.

Archived