The Arbroath Thread

Just now, lichtie23 said:

So hamstring for Dow. TOB “should” be back next week (Stenny) 

Did Dow walk off the park or was he limping, if he’s managed to walk off it might not be too bad either. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Did Dow walk off the park or was he limping, if he’s managed to walk off it might not be too bad either. 

Walked off. I wouldn’t risk any sort of hamstring problem in a meaningless game. 

22 minutes ago, Neilly said:

You can just sign a couple of players on amateur terms and fill the bench or remaining eleven. We done the same last season when we had 11 fit against Alloa in this cup.

Particularly when it's a dead rubber it doesn't really matter anyway. We went on to win the league so having injuries and not enough players at this stage means hee haw - there would be genuine scope to worry if this was after the transfer window.

The mass hysteria on here is getting a little much I'm more than sure by the time the real stuff starts a week on Saturday you will have a squad of 17-18 at a minimum when the loan players start going to their teams from higher up the leagues complimenting your returning players with injuries.

It's the same every single year - I've absolutely no idea how anyone who has supported a football club at this level for more than 3/4 seasons can get so worked up every July. It's a 9 month league season with the transfer window not even close to shutting and loans happening in August every single season.

In terms of people talking about it 'never being worse' - an absolute nonsense. The only time I've ever properly worried for us was the season we finished 9th in L2 and for a 4-6 week period there was a genuine threat of us going out of the league. Losing a game in the middle of July to a team in the same division as us, while down to 10 men for over half of it, has seen some really embarrassing reactions in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Walked off. I wouldn’t risk any sort of hamstring problem in a meaningless game. 

Cheers. Maybe just a couple of weeks then - fingers crossed 

There doesn't seem to be the same vigour from the board to pursue signings now that the hybrid idea has been scrapped and there is no rental income to be skimmed from the club.

I also heard on the grapevine that there are delays to the completion dates on the Tarriebank project. I believe the same parties are also building in Inverkeilor, I wonder if they will be delayed too?

Edited by JobbieSandwich

37 minutes ago, JobbieSandwich said:

There doesn't seem to be the same vigour from the board to pursue signings now that the hybrid idea has been scrapped and there is no rental income to be skimmed from the club.

I also heard on the grapevine that there are delays to the completion dates on the Tarriebank project. I believe the same parties are also building in Inverkeilor, I wonder if they will be delayed too?

😂 respect the consistency 

2 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

😂 respect the consistency 

I am merely an outsider piecing together the evidence without bias.

I see they're trying to strengthen ties with the supporters club but I can guarantee they'll never extend that to a seat on the board because it's all about doing favours (for their business interests outside the club) rather than the club itself.

It's hardly a surprise that, when a source of cash-flow for Tarriebank/Inverkeilor has dried up with the hybrid being scrapped that the Chairman who scrapped it is ousted off the board and replaced by a building merchant. This isn't random.

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

In other news David Gold’s testimonial has been announced. First event to be announced at 2pm

Have heard through grapevine that Gold might not be too bad either and not as bad as what they initially thought last night. Which is brilliant. Hopefully Gold, Reilly, ToB will all be back along with Stewart for a tough opening game at Stenny.

Gold was pretty marmite when he first joined, I genuinely did always think there was a player in there he had a good touch and knew what he was doing but was definitely played out of position initially - Lumsden had him as a number 10 or wide player and while he can do a job there he definitely really grew into a player playing in the middle of the park and at right back after Dick come in. 

When he first signed and in his first season however I did absolutely never expect him to be such a good good player and guy to have at the club and never thought he would be here for 10 whole years playing every single position but upfront.

Another legend who will be here for 11 years minimum and possibly longer.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Interesting cheers I didn’t know that. Noticed Dunfermline had done something like that and accidentally registered someone all the way until January.

I'm not sure what this means? You can't "accidentally" register someone till January. You got a link to this? Players are either professional or amateur. Ignoring emergency goalkeepers who can be loaned for 7 days, the minimum length of a professional contract in the SPFL is to the first day of the next window. At this point in the season the minimum length of contract for any professional is January 1st.

Amateur registrations on the other hand up to this season always ran from whenever they are signed to the next 30th June. You sign someone on amateur terms on June 29th their registration expires the next day. You sign them on July 3rd, it runs for 12 months (less the 3 days). So if they signed an amateur it would run to the summer anyway. It can of course be mutually cancelled any time but it would run until 30th June when registered.

The rules on amateurs have been amended this season however and as of now amateur registration run infinitely until cancelled. There's no longer any end date on them at all.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure what this means? You can't "accidentally" register someone till January. You got a link to this? Players are either professional or amateur. Ignoring emergency goalkeepers who can be loaned for 7 days, the minimum length of a professional contract in the SPFL is to the first day of the next window. At this point in the season the minimum length of contract for any professional is January 1st.

Amateur registrations on the other hand up to this season always ran from whenever they are signed to the next 30th June. You sign someone on amateur terms on June 29th their registration expires the next day. You sign them on July 3rd, it runs for 12 months (less the 3 days). So if they signed an amateur it would run to the summer anyway. It can of course be mutually cancelled any time but it would run until 30th June when registered.

The rules on amateurs have been amended this season however and as of now amateur registration run infinitely until cancelled. There's no longer any end date on them at all.

I have maybe misunderstood this but I think they only meant to sign this guy on a short term deal and made a mess of it so he’s there until January. I am probably wrong but this is what I was referring to 

https://dafc.co.uk/goalkeeper-registration-update/

eta - actually sorry, they tried to sign him on a short term basis but couldn’t because they’d have to sign him until January, I think 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I have maybe misunderstood this but I think they only meant to sign this guy on a short term deal and made a mess of it so he’s there until January. I am probably wrong but this is what I was referring to 

https://dafc.co.uk/goalkeeper-registration-update/

eta - actually sorry, they tried to sign him on a short term basis but couldn’t because they’d have to sign him until January, I think 

I see, thanks. Looks like Dunfermline have been left looking a bit daft here and nobody knew the rules. They've signed him on a short term contract (presumably a month) only for the SFA to point out they can't. But they'd already announced they had. And the boy legally will have a contract but can't play. He could hold them to whatever payment terms it has in it.

I think England still allows short term contracts and of course Gary Cook came to them from English football. He's not new though, he's been there about three years now so it's surprising he wasn't aware of this.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Ali Spalding on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties Penalty shootout win in the Highlands last night. The summer signing was superb in the heart of the midfield and deservedly comes away with last nights award. 

Thanks to the 40+ Lichties who made the long trip north last night. It was not only a positive result but a really impressive performance. See you all in Bonnyrigg 🇱🇻

4ac42d18-da69-46bc-8c92-f18852430c70.jpeg

58 minutes ago, TASC_1878 said:

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Ali Spalding on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties Penalty shootout win in the Highlands last night. The summer signing was superb in the heart of the midfield and deservedly comes away with last nights award. 

Thanks to the 40+ Lichties who made the long trip north last night. It was not only a positive result but a really impressive performance. See you all in Bonnyrigg 🇱🇻

4ac42d18-da69-46bc-8c92-f18852430c70.jpeg

Really happy to see him get this. 

He is obviously a really young lad with a whole lot to learn in the men’s game but to get this and stand out in what sounded like a good solid performance up until the injuries away to Inverness in his 4th competitive senior game is impressive. A unanimous vote too going by the comments. Fair play young man. 

Will no doubt get another chance on Saturday and more than likely another 90 

I'm really intrigued by the lack of positives people see at the moment.....

When you look through the basis of our squad, and what we've shown in pre-season, I'd be interested in why people see the following so negativly:

Aidan McAdams - does he not look like a really good keeper for this level?

Central defence - are Tam and Hammy not a good central defensive partnership?

Wilkie/ Bisland - have they not impressed so far and added some much needed younger legs to the team?

Innes Murray - has he not impressed this pre-season now he's fully fit?

Fitness in general - do the team not look fitter/ sharper than they have done for years?!

Shape - has the team shape/ structure not been really good in every game apart from the 45 minutes we were chasing a game when down to 10 men?

Up top - have we not got two really good quality part time strikers to come into the team in a matter of weeks?

Loan wise - we've not used a single loan yet, and have plenty of space to do so - a good positon to be in, much better than wasting them.

The negatives? 'Jim McIntyre'? A lack of goals obviously - but the reasons for that are clear as day and will be sorted within weeks (it's a 9 month league season).

Genuinely intrigued by the stack of negatives I'm missing, and how the above aren't all real stuff to be positive about?

Edited by SimonLichtie

I am usually very positive going to any season but we've scored 1 goal across 5 games in pre season / League cup so that is always going to get negativity and the obvious lack of numbers / injuries. Worst case scenario we may only have 11 fit players for the weekend and with no youth set up, we cant fill the bench with youngsters like some teams have the option to do.

With everyone fit, there is the nucleus of a good squad, we should get top 4

1 minute ago, Smokerson said:

I am usually very positive going to any season but we've scored 1 goal across 5 games in pre season / League cup so that is always going to get negativity and the obvious lack of numbers / injuries. Worst case scenario we may only have 11 fit players for the weekend and with no youth set up, we cant fill the bench with youngsters like some teams have the option to do.

With everyone fit, there is the nucleus of a good squad, we should get top 4

The main thing here, for me, is short term v long term. I agree with pretty much everything you've said, short term (the next few weeks) is covered in the first paragraph, but ultimately the longer term is covered in the last sentence. It's a 9 month season and squad wise we're in a good place currently, injuries aside.

If this was our squad for the season I'd have huge worries in terms of depth and ability in certain areas but it obviously isn't. We have a really good base with several additions to come in :)

On the goals side of things, would we be more confident if dow/ Stowe had grabbed a goal or two in pre season? I wouldn't, as it's totally irrelevant to our 9 month season, as dow/ Stowe aren't going to be our strikers this season. If Gallagher/ Reilly had been fit all pre season then I'd definitely be concerned by a lack of goals, but they've still to come in as do others.

My main issue is exactly the same as it has been for weeks.  

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'm really intrigued by the lack of positives people see at the moment.....

Up top - have we not got two really good quality part time strikers to come into the team in a matter of weeks?

Genuinely intrigued by the stack of negatives I'm missing, and how the above aren't all real stuff to be positive about?

We have two quality (we assume!) part time strikers, although they haven't played together yet.  But we have *only* two.  That means apparently we planned to make no attacking subs during the league cup, which has gone well.  Two strikers for two positions with no subs, was mismanagement, which was then exposed when they both got injured.

Now, as to shape and structure.  Remember, our manager, chairman, vice chairman (I think) CEO, and both our new strikers referred in their interviews this summer to playing "2 up top".  People on here said that one of the reasons they weren't too bothered about losing McKenna (an utterly insane bit of apologism) because he wouldn't fit into the "new" shape we were going to be playing of :: checks notes :: "two up top".  However, during pre season, we have not been playing and getting used to that shape and structure because we've had no strikers.  This means we've spent the league cup playing an entirely different shape and structure to the one we presumably plan to use in the league. 

I'm surprised you don't see that as any kind of negative?

Edited by ExiledLichtie