The Arbroath Thread

From watching the highlights Stewart involved in all 3 goals once again. We have scored 5 in the last 3. 

Stewart scored at Dumbarton

Stewart crossed for Dow at Dumbarton 

Stewart wins ball back couple of times which Dow gets on to to win the penalty yesterday 

Stewart scores yesterday 

Stewart sets up Callaghans goal yesterday (then a minute later nearly done exactly the same thing for Gallagher who hit the bar) 

I really liked Stewart at RB in the Championship, he’s solid, reliable and up against really fit, physical and quicker players. Could understand why he played there. 

In this league though Stewart at RM is a powerhouse for LBs in this league to deal with, so physical, a really strong runner and other teams finding him tough to play against. Getting him involved in the game as much as possible going forward should provide good results. 

40 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I do wish Scott Strachan would clear off with his annoying "beans on toast" in commentary. 

I imagine his commentary must be a nightmare for anyone listening on the audio only, because he fails to actually say what is happening.  I also think having current players on co comms is a mistake, because they aren't exactly going to criticise their teammates.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I also think having current players on co comms is a mistake, because they aren't exactly going to criticise their teammates.

I mean I really don’t understand why this is an issue? Really? 

😂

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean I really don’t understand why this is an issue? Really? 

😂

You don't understand why having commentators with a potential conflict of interest is an issue?  Really?  You don't understand why a current player might be reluctant to say anything critical of his current team, and why that might lead to a lower quality of analysis?

Or is it just because its something that I've said?  Much like when you hurled abuse at me for weeks for suggesting that we didn't have enough strikers, before turning round and saying yesterday that actually, we could do with another striker.  You seem predisposed to just reflexively criticise everything I say.  

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You don't understand why having commentators with a potential conflict of interest is an issue?  Really?  You don't understand why a current player might be reluctant to say anything critical of his current team, and why that might lead to a lower quality of analysis?

ITS A CLUB RUN CHANNEL DONE BY VOLUNTEERS ITS NOT SKY SPORTS OR THE BBC!!! 

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

ITS A CLUB RUN CHANNEL DONE BY VOLUNTEERS ITS NOT SKY SPORTS OR THE BBC!!! 

But you didn't think someone critical of too much usage of "beans on toast" was worth replying to?  Maybe I should have said it, and then for sure you would have been all in.

I'll try and explain this in small words.  This is much like when you insisted our squad size was perfect, before demanding more signings.  Or when you were insistent that we didn't need defensive cover.  Or when you said we didn't need any more strikers.  But I'll have a go.  As someone who has to regularly watch the streams, and bear in mind that the club also uses the same stream as audio commentary, when watching/listening to commentary, it helps to know what is happening.  You would expect the co-comm to provide a level of analysis of what is happening on the pitch.  Now let's say that the team is set up completely wrongly, or one of our players is making mistake after mistake. 

Do you think a current player is going to speak his mind fully, knowing that he's going back in that dressing room the next day?  Do you think he is going to be critical of his own management, knowing that they are the ones who choose whether he gets to play or not?   That's not the way the world works.  So a current player on co-comms is likely to pull their punches, and this leads to an inaccurate projection of what is happening on the pitch.  More of an issue with the audio commentary than the video stream.  Better to have ex-players, or volunteers, or even someone from the opposition.

Maybe you need to calm down a bit, it'll stop all this flailing around, and all the angry posts, before you inevitably end up agreeing with me.

@1320Lichtie

Please. I beg you. We all beg you. For the sake of humanity do not go back and forth with this absolute moon howler.

It's painful. It's really painful everytime he takes to the keyboard.

As a VERY important poster on the site please take this as VERY good advice.

Smokies and wine to all.

1 minute ago, Neilly said:

@1320Lichtie

Please. I beg you. We all beg you. For the sake of humanity do not go back and forth with this absolute moon howler.

Smokies and wine to all.

I honestly don't understand what people are disagreeing with here.  Its a completely uncontroversial opinion.  I prefer it when we have ex players, other commentators, or even opposition representatives, rather than when we have current players.  There is absolutely nothing controversial or "moon howling" about this.  

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

@1320Lichtie

Smokies and wine to all.

Stuck them on ignore a month ago. Really works for me. 

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I also think having current players on co comms is a mistake, because they aren't exactly going to criticise their teammates.

Thankfully we don't have that issue on this forum.

You absolute puddle-drinking, neckbearded moron.

3 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

Thankfully we don't have that issue on this forum.

You absolute puddle-drinking, neckbearded moron.

What is the issue?  I honestly don't get it.  Nobody seems to have a problem with criticising the commentator (as seen by all the green dots in response to someone complaining about the "beans on toast" issue), but all kinds of abuse has been hurled just for suggesting that I'm not a fan of having current players on co-comms.  I really don't understand.

18 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What is the issue?  I honestly don't get it.  Nobody seems to have a problem with criticising the commentator (as seen by all the green dots in response to someone complaining about the "beans on toast" issue), but all kinds of abuse has been hurled just for suggesting that I'm not a fan of having current players on co-comms.  I really don't understand.

We all know you don't.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Scott Stewart on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties comfortable 3-0 win over Montrose yesterday. It’s 4 awards on the spin for Scottie who also claimed the August player of the month this week. 

Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

IMG_2448.jpeg

Just now, TASC_1878 said:

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Scott Stewart on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties comfortable 3-0 win over Montrose yesterday. It’s 4 awards on the spin for Scottie who also claimed the August player of the month this week. 

Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

IMG_2448.jpeg

What a player 🇱🇻♥️

On 08/09/2024 at 11:08, ExiledLichtie said:

I honestly don't understand what people are disagreeing with here.  It’s a completely uncontroversial opinion.  I prefer it when we have ex players, other commentators, or even opposition representatives, rather than when we have current players.  There is absolutely nothing controversial or "moon howling" about this.  

To have current players co-commentating is an absolute luxury.  They don’t need to do this and it’s not what they signed up for, but they’re doing it for the fans.  Having a professional from your own team providing insights is fantastic.

Are they biased?  Yeah, probably.   But I’m not watching the game for balance or criticism.  I’m an Arbroath fan watching my team listening to people who’re on my side just like when I go to Gayfield.  When I watch Scotland, do I wish there was a Polish, Portuguese or English co-commentator?  No!    

Sure BBC might have to have some balance on Premier League games etc. because they’re broadcasting to all corners of the country across all teams.  We’re discussing Arbroath FC TV here who have volunteers broadcasting to the very specific market of Arbroath FC fans.

If you want a critical take, you could watch Montrose TV or stand with the opposition at the other end of the ground.