All things Dundee FC

Lost the head on Saturday. Could easily do again tonight.

Have to wonder what Docherty's thinking has been over the past 2 games (and games where we go 2 up in general). 

Awk well, onto the next one.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lost the head on Saturday. Could easily do again tonight.

Have to wonder what Docherty's thinking has been over the past 2 games (and games where we go 2 up in general). 

Awk well, onto the next one.

It’s not all down to the manager. Players need to take responsibility too. You have enough experience in your squad. 

Just now, Molotov said:

It’s not all down to the manager. Players need to take responsibility too. You have enough experience in your squad. 

14 points we've lost from winning positions this season. Multiple times we've been in the lead and multiple times by more than one goal. We've not got a lot of dig in our team so when Docherty tries to go and play McInnes-ball it's always asking for trouble.

5 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It’s not all down to the manager. Players need to take responsibility too. You have enough experience in your squad

I’m not so sure.  Shaughnessy is good at marshalling the defence but other than that  I’m not sure we have anyone that can stamp their authority not only on the game but their teammates as well.

Edited by Shadow Play

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

2nd half bottle crash yet again, just glad that pen never went in, 'put your arm on a players shoulder and he falls over?' absolute fucking nonsense from var yet again, and moronic officials.

Thank you.

No way was that a penalty but he was nowhere near the ball anyway so why let the question be asked. Was amazed Cameron wasn’t hooked in the second half and Sylla (say) not brought on. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I’m not so sure.  Shaughnessy is good at marshalling the defence but other than that  I’m not sure we have anyone that can stamp their authority not only on the game but their colleagues as well.

Portales and Lamie a big loss. IMO.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

No way was that a penalty but he was nowhere near the ball anyway so why let the question be asked. Was amazed Cameron wasn’t hooked in the second half and Sylla (say) not brought on. 

Yep - it was powder puff with him and Mulligan together.

1 minute ago, Netan Sansara said:

This has been a shite week to be a Dee. Cannot chuck away 2 goal leads as regularly as we do. There’s something very wrong with that. 

It's this park the bus bullshit that has never worked ever.

We always change tact when things are going our way, it's actually psychotic.

Edited by Crawford

1 minute ago, Crawford said:

We always change tact when things are going our way, it's actually psychotic.

Think that’s the players to be honest. After Hearts went 3-2 up they dropped back too. 

Tonight wasn't the capitulation  of Perth, Motherwell and Kilmarnock. 

Hearts were the better side the whole 90 minutes and looked likely to score on multiple occasions. 

We scored a good goal on the break (great from Costelloe) and the first was one of limited attacks throughout the whole match. Realistically 2 0 at HT was a godsend rather than deserved.

The first goal for them comes out of nothing and the frustration mightve grown had the match went on a bit longer. Weak, weak defending for the 2nd and 3rd. Far too easy to get past McGhee for the second and it was identical on Costelloe two minutes before where Hearts should've levelled.

Sylla shoul'dve been on for McCowan and I would've had Cameron off earlier when you're looking to hold out at a tough venue away.

Our defence looked weak tonight and if you look at the situation with injuries we have to hope it'll improve. Hearts deserved the win tonight and were the better team.

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Crawford said:

We always change tact when things are going out way, it's actually psychotic.

I get that we were playing into the wind but falling back deeper and deeper was a recipe for disaster.

Losing the first goal should have prompted a change - he should have brought on Sylla to shore up the midfield and taken off Costelloe.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

47 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Cameron is a passenger imo. Mulligan has better attributes for the middle of the park and gets benched every week. 

Struggling to get on board with the docherty hype train I must say. 

I don't buy into the celebration of where we currently are just because we usually stink the place out. The season isn't over, we could still finish 11th and go down. It's not inconceivable. Motherwell and livi can't be terrible for the rest of the season and saints have turned a wee corner under levein. 

Starting with Carson tonight. He did well with the penalty but did anyone else clock how many times he kicked it out in the first half, or lost it down mcghees side? Getting a bit tired of his poor passing even if he is a decent shot stopper. 

Thought ashcroft and shaughnessy were decent enough, especially Joe. Not convinced by the left back, but prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Big shoes to fill and all that. Mcghee also decent again and took his goal well. 

Midfield is an area of concern for me, and that's due to Doc. For me the best midfielders are boateng and mulligan, and they seldom get picked together. A good mix of physicality with MB and ball playing directness  from JM. 

What has reilly got to do to get a start? His cameos against Hibs, County. Killie (cup) and tonight have all been good imo so what's up with that? 

Up front now. Bakayoko has strength and height but rarely seems to win headers in the air. Robinson was poor especially first half (whether he can't press well or was told to sit back by Doc, who knows)...less said about main the better. Prepared to give him time obviously but we need a striker that is also a goalscorer.

Get some pace in and around the strikers for a change.

Team for Saturday is fairly straightforward. 

Carson  

Ashcroft.      Shaughnessy

Mcghee.                                   Dodgeson

Mulligan.      Boateng

Tiffoney.           Mccowan.         Reilly 

Main 

4231. Ditch the 2 strikers and the back 3. Thought the back 4 tonight was okay so would keep it against Livi. 

Costelloe definitely isn't the dud many Dundee fans on here latched onto from the Perth roasters. Bit of a disgrace the reaction to his signing IMO.

Looks like a really good young talent but defending clearly isn't his strongest point. With the current defensive injuries I'm hoping the Doc will go to a back four against the Livi - allowing Reilly and Constelloe to play as out and out wingers.

If McCowan is injured then it'll give the chance to play Boateng and Sylla aswell. I'd be looking at:

Carson

McGhee Shaugnessy Ashcroft Dodgson

Reilly Sylla Boateng Costelloe 

Bakayoko Robinson

4-4 facking 2.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

Was obviously disappointed, but genuinely wasn't annoyed until I saw the highlights. Defending was abysmal on those last two goals, whole backline ball-watching and both Dodgson and Costelloe marking Shankland for their 2nd, leaving Lembikisa wide open, and then the 3rd goal every player looked like training dummies, rooted to the ground and just let Oda pick his spot. No wonder Docherty said no fingers were pointed in the dressing room after, that was a collective shite-the-bed from the entire squad.

It's so frustrating because this squad is nearly there, but just isn't fully. Something needs to change and I'd agree that the dedication to the formation is part of the problem, but I just don't see Docherty having the confidence to do that. The squad need to get their composure under pressure back, as it seems lost now. Have to win on Saturday, lest we want to feel the weight of properly being dragged back into the shit. They've done so well at bouncing back from disappointment this season, but that's the first time we've lost back-to-back games this season and I hope that's the motivation needed to pick up performances for the whole 90 minutes now rather than becoming a trend.