All things Dundee FC

11 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Really good couple of posts on TDBF in the summer transfers section about  Luke McCowans transfer, and how we probably didn’t maximise our return/ preparedness for life without him.

I do think a lot of it was circumstantial but for whatever reason we’ve probably ended up with a more unbalanced squad than TD thought he was going to put together for the first half of the season 

I’m praying we can get through the next two weekends without a major dent to confidence and the returning players give us some more stability 

TBH I’d be happy lining up more conservatively this weekend and having a go late on if we’re still in it

We must become harder to score against first and foremost 

The top end of the pitch will sort itself out

I think you're right on the balance - based on limited viewing we've done a decent enough job of replacing McCowan's technical ability.  The bigger challenge IMO is replacing the overall impact on the midfield.

All of our midfielders including Sylla are technically good, but with McCowan you had a midfield containing a small young Scot, a big older foreigner and mid-sized, mid-aged Scot.  The balance as you say was really good and I think McCowan contributed a lot to the organisation, communication and defensive work rate that he didn't necessarily get the credit for.  The closest physical replacement we have is Mulligan but he is nowhere near the mental level of McCowan, not yet at least.  The only other native English speakers are Braybrooke who is much more similar to Cameron, or Robertson who hasn't had a sniff in midfield.  Adewumi sounds promising but he and Vetro don't seem like natural replacements for McCowan and I don't know about their language levels.  Add to that a defense that is missing 2 of the 3 experienced Scots, giving you 1 Scot, a whole bunch of youngsters and a Mexican and it's no wonder we are struggling defensively, despite the fact that I rate the individual abilities of all of them.

I don't know what the solution is but tomorrow we either have to go all guns blazing or Mourinho level park the bus.  I fear anything in the middle ground could be a disaster.

Edited by stu2910