Post Yes Negotiations

Uncle Psychosis

And again this is why you're so off the mark in this forum - and are either ignored or ridiculed.

This is not a nationalistic campaign - and the most nationalistic views have come from No voters.

There will be a small minority of people who vote Yes because they hate the English - but I strongly believe it is a small minority.

There is also evidence to suggest that the more people engage with the issues properly - the more they are likely to vote Yes. This is certainly what I've found in my personal experience.

I'm obviously not going to respond to the forum lunatic and I feel uncomfortable having people like that in the same species let alone country.

Actually none of the questions have been answered and they all assume that WM are going to be as conciliatory as Salmond is making out. Also you have to consider Europe and whether or not the entry will be as easy as is being made out as well as what the terms of entry are. Currency? Still nowhere near that. Currency devaluation and falling stock prices? What will that result in? The more I think about Thursday the more optimistic I am that people are going to think long and hard about the future as the Queen requested people to yesterday. I can see a No vote to be honest

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is pretty much the only part I disagree with.

One thing that has annoyed me about the Yes campaign (although it is entirely understandable due to the nature of the opposition's tactics) is that there is no risk - and that uncertainties do not exist. This is fundamentally incorrect.

For me though, the difficulties of the next few years (but especially the 18 month period of negotiations) will be entirely worth it. Once the negotiations are done we will have a clean slate in political terms. New parties, political engagement, and hopefully a more fair society.

In terms of the negotiations we have the debt and we have trident. These are two pretty big chips - although I reckon WM have more at their disposal. We'll win some, we'll lose some. Its a divorce settlement - and so it will get a little messy. But the economics will win the day - and common sense will prevail.

I really don't see these as being strong points of negotiation though. The debt issue will be a non starter as Cameron or whoever will know that an independent Scotland could not afford to be seen as a pariah state, that won't pay its debts. This would have massive financial consequences too for the future Scotland!

The trident issue will mean moving base, which, though it would not be ideal is certainly not an impossibility along the lines of 'you can only house Trident in Faslane'. It will be expected if the Yes voters break up the United Kingdom.

What is a worry is that you can well imagine the media whipping up ill feeling against a breakaway Scotland and up north against the evil English which is something that would be incredibly sad. As many have said most divorces are not at all pleasant and I'd hate to see either side stoking the fires of hatred as I would always want to be welcome in my fathers homeland (Scotland).

Pretty sure there will be robust negotiations as each side tries to get the best deal.

But it's in neither sides interest to have long drawn out negotiations. That's why I'm sure they will conduct the majority of negotiations within the 18 months.

Archived