Neoliberalism

pandarilla

Can we realistically move in a different direction if we vote Yes on Thursday?

Will being in the EU mean nothing fundamental changes, even in the long term?

How does the currency situation affect this?

Do enough people know about this system of economics - and how its changed the western world in the last 30 years or so?

I first came across the term about ten years ago and since then have only rarely heard it discussed anywhere? I know there will be some highly intelligent punters on here who will be able to enlighten me further but I thought I'd get a bit of a debate going.

Personally, this is a huge reason for me voting Yes. I want away from the get rich at all costs way of doing things that took hold in the 80s and has never really gone away. Its also the biggest difference between London and the SE - and the rest of the British Isles.

Quick Google definition:

Neoliberalism is certainly a form of free-market neoclassical economic theory, but it quite difficult to pin down further than that, especially since neoliberal governments and economists carefully avoid referring to themselves as neoliberals and the mainstream media seem to avoid using the word at all costs.

Have you ever visited the Scandinavian countries. I have friends in Norway, Denmark and Sweden, and they all seem to be pretty happy with the way the government mixes social justice and an ethical outlook with the rigours of the modern financial world.

I am not suggesting we look to copy them, just that it's possible. Possible of course if we vote Yes. Completely impossible if we vote No.

What about the currency and the eu? Does that not keep us tied into a neoliberal agenda?

I'm 100 percent yes just incase you were wondering. I've just been thinking about this particular issue quite a lot over the last few weeks.

And no, I've unfortunately never been to Scandinavia. I'd like to though.

I think the Yes camp have done well to pretty much ignore the EU issue throughout most of the campaign.

Post Yes I hope Scotland leaves the EU and negotiates bilateral agreements that allow it to exist in a similar way to Norway and Switzerland, with freedom of movement and free trade agreements in place.

There is no point in leaving a small union where you have a little voice, and jumping straight into a far bigger union where you'll have a far smaler voice.

I think the Yes camp have done well to pretty much ignore the EU issue throughout most of the campaign.

Post Yes I hope Scotland leaves the EU and negotiates bilateral agreements that allow it to exist in a similar way to Norway and Switzerland, with freedom of movement and free trade agreements in place.

There is no point in leaving a small union where you have a little voice, and jumping straight into a far bigger union where you'll have a far smaler voice.

I think I agree - but have to admit I'm not fully aware of the consequences of this.

Its interesting how we have been described by Andrew Marr as 'the most politically educated nation in the world at this moment' - but would the same thing happen in Britain in the event of a No vote and an EU referendum post election? Somehow I don't think the engagement would be anywhere near as high as it has been over the past 6 months up here.

I think I agree - but have to admit I'm not fully aware of the consequences of this.

Its interesting how we have been described by Andrew Marr as 'the most politically educated nation in the world at this moment' - but would the same thing happen in Britain in the event of a No vote and an EU referendum post election? Somehow I don't think the engagement would be anywhere near as high as it has been over the past 6 months up here.

One of the problems with a No vote and an EU referendum is that England, for the most part, seem to want to leave the EU in order to restrict immigration. In Scotland, one fairly big issue is that too many people of working age are leaving the country, which would probably end up worse if the UK leaves the EU and places tight controls over immigration.

Have you ever visited the Scandinavian countries. I have friends in Norway, Denmark and Sweden, and they all seem to be pretty happy with the way the government mixes social justice and an ethical outlook with the rigours of the modern financial world.

I am not suggesting we look to copy them, just that it's possible. Possible of course if we vote Yes. Completely impossible if we vote No.

Ha, ha :) and yet you point the finger of accusation at the 'scaremongers'

Priceless

It definitely wouldn't. I've been surprised just how genuinely uninformed my English friends have been about our referendum, given the potential impact on them.

But I don't think they Scots' political education is entirely new - though it has been largely dormant. We've been responsible for more than our share of political movements in the past

It definitely wouldn't. I've been surprised just how genuinely uninformed my English friends have been about our referendum, given the potential impact on them.

But I don't think they Scots' political education is entirely new - though it has been largely dormant. We've been responsible for more than our share of political movements in the past

As I may have mentioned before, I can see Scotlands action being the catalyst for wider political change in the UK. Clegg (Iknow) has already started the campaign for a federalist approach - speaking in Yorkshire recently.

As I may have mentioned before, I can see Scotlands action being the catalyst for wider political change in the UK. Clegg (Iknow) has already started the campaign for a federalist approach - speaking in Yorkshire recently.

Yeah but he had the chance to deliver meaningful PR with the last referendum and that was a disaster from start to finish. It was such a bad option that they chose that it couldn't be argued with any strength - and the No campaign quite comfortably shut down the debate (in much the same way they've tried to do up here).

I do think that if there's a No vote there will be a lot of knock-on changes to British politics - but I don't think the EU referendum will be conducted with the level of engagement that we've seen here.

Yeah but he had the chance to deliver meaningful PR with the last referendum and that was a disaster from start to finish. It was such a bad option that they chose that it couldn't be argued with any strength - and the No campaign quite comfortably shut down the debate (in much the same way they've tried to do up here).

I do think that if there's a No vote there will be a lot of knock-on changes to British politics - but I don't think the EU referendum will be conducted with the level of engagement that we've seen here.

Yes, I think a No would result in a solidarity from the regions, particularly of Wales and Northern England with Scotland against Westminster. It would be fitting and true to form for the Scots to bring about a better future for all of the UK.

Whatever happens over the EU I think everyone is looking on at the debate in Scotland and feeling the winds of change. I know I will want my voice to be heard on future change here and imagine that there are many like me.

Archived