Catalonia v Scotland

H_B

Something that's interested me is the difference here.

I don't think anyone doubts that if they ever voted on it for real the Catalans would overwhelmingly vote to leave Spain.

Spain being as it is they will nit get the kind of democratic opportunity we did here. And yet we completely rejected secession in huge numbers.

So why is this? Is it because the Catalans have a poorer deal vis a vis Madrid than we do Westminster ? Are they more insular and parochial ? More fleg waving Nationalists of an ethnic variety?

I think Spain is a much looser conglomeration of areas with much more regional identity.

They all have their own "languages" which for the most part are Spanish with slightly different spellings.

One sign I saw had Universidad, Universitat and I think Universitad on it.

I know a galician girl who posts in galician pretty frequently on fb and I can understand almost all of it from my semi-decent understanding of Spanish. In saying this, basque is completely different. Their language is absolutely mental. Looks like no other language I've ever seen.

Not sure if some of the feelings stems from the civil war too.

I think Spain is a much looser conglomeration of areas with much more regional identity.

They all have their own "languages" which for the most part are Spanish with slightly different spellings.

I know a galician girl who posts in galician pretty frequently on fb and I can understand almost all of it from my semi-decent understanding of Spanish. In saying this, basque is completely different. Their language is absolutely mental. Looks like no other language I've ever seen.

This is pretty much spot on.

The Civil war is a fair point. As is i guess that the wealth differential with the rest of Spain is so marked that no one doubts the financial reasons for secession.

I'd be fascinated to see how a UDI worked out for them.

They are voting on it, but the vote is being brought by the Catalan parliament who don't have power over constitutional matters.

As I understand it, the Catalan language was made illegal when Franco was in power, so there's obviously historical bad blood there. Even so, the wiki page only really shows polls showing support for independence around the time of the recession. Things in Spain are much, much worse than the UK (unemployment over 20%) which doubtlessly makes these feelings greater.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Catalonia will vote Yes and Spain will say the vote is illegal. Wonder what the EU will make of it?

Something that's interested me is the difference here.

I don't think anyone doubts that if they ever voted on it for real the Catalans would overwhelmingly vote to leave Spain.

Spain being as it is they will nit get the kind of democratic opportunity we did here. And yet we completely rejected secession in huge numbers.

So why is this? Is it because the Catalans have a poorer deal vis a vis Madrid than we do Westminster ? Are they more insular and parochial ? More fleg waving Nationalists of an ethnic variety?

maybe they aren't traitors, thugs or cowards.

they don't all have their own languages and the ones that are different are a lot more than different spellings.

The languages are a lot more than just Spanish with different spellings. Catalan in some aspects is actually closer related to both Italian and French, and Galician is essentially a dialect of Portuguese.

Archived