General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If prior to the indyref the BBC and all of the newspapers spent every hour of the day demonising the English and describing in great detail a litany of horror stories related to how England was sucking the blood out of Scotland, you'd maybe have an accurate analogy. (Of course you're a shitey wee troll, so that wouldn't matter anyway.)

What the f**k has that got to do with the matter in hand? I'm saying that holding a referendum on Europe is democratic and not doing so is undemocratic.

Why now for another referendum on Europe? There is no new treaty to be signed. It's just a hugely risky ploy to keep the Tory rightwingers quiet.

There is a fairly large number of people in the UK that want to leave the European union. The only way to test this fairly is a referendum. Personally I'll be voting for the "In" side.

Why now for another referendum on Europe? There is no new treaty to be signed. It's just a hugely risky ploy to keep the Tory rightwingers quiet.

You're right that's why they're having it, if the Tories win anyway. But personally I have no problem with it, it's democratic. Provided Scotland can't be pulled out of the EU against its will, then its undemocratic.

That Stewart Lee gig was filmed at the Stand in Glasgow and is hilarious.

You can add Enrico with the Daily Mail, Top Gear fans and the Telegraph in the list of people and publications that have taken Stewart Lee's obvious satire at face value. Not the greatest company IMO.

I don't get why anyone would be against an EU referendum, it's just democracy. I especially don't understand why those who have been nailed on Yes voters since before 2011 would be against a referendum because the popular line from the SNP at that point was that the other parties "Clearly don't trust the Scottish voters to make up their own minds."

I'm against it, Unless all 4 nations in the family have a majority who want to leave and not just the largest dragging the rest of us out

You can add Enrico with the Daily Mail, Top Gear fans and the Telegraph in the list of people and publications that have taken Stewart Lee's obvious satire at face value. Not the greatest company IMO.

Thanks for missing the point.

The people of Iceland said no to the eu, why the eff should Scotland be in it? It's political that Mrs Sturgeon wants to be in whatever any national ref said. She wants in 1 million migrants to feather the so called independence nest ( the people said no, Nicola!) and the eu is the perfect vehicle. I can't think of any other reason her and Salmond love the eu so much, a trade agreement is all it should be - not political union. The people of Yugoslavia could not get on so how the ***k can 28 disparate nations be forced together? It's madness. This is aside from the agricultural mess, Euro debacle and the decimation of our fishing industry - a big reason Iceland said no. Right wingers my ass.

I'm against it, Unless all 4 nations in the family have a majority who want to leave and not just the largest dragging the rest of us out

Northern Ireland has 2% of the people in the UK. It is ridiculous for 2% of the people to have 25% of the power.

Northern Ireland has 2% of the people in the UK. It is ridiculous for 2% of the people to have 25% of the power.

And it's ridiculous for everyone to be forced out unless we all agree

Its ridiculous for England to have all the power and be able to pull the other three countries out even if they vote to stay.

Basically just the UK itself is ridiculous, undemocratic and has to be brought to an end soon.

The people of Iceland said no to the eu, why the eff should Scotland be in it? It's political that Mrs Sturgeon wants to be in whatever any national ref said. She wants in 1 million migrants to feather the so called independence nest ( the people said no, Nicola!) and the eu is the perfect vehicle. I can't think of any other reason her and Salmond love the eu so much, a trade agreement is all it should be - not political union. The people of Yugoslavia could not get on so how the ***k can 28 disparate nations be forced together? It's madness. This is aside from the agricultural mess, Euro debacle and the decimation of our fishing industry - a big reason Iceland said no. Right wingers my ass.

Could make all these arguments about staying in the UK, why not just have a trade agreement, no need for political union.

I can't think of any other reason her and Salmond love the eu so much, a trade agreement is all it should be - not political union... Right wingers my ass.

You must've been gutted when Mrs. Thatcher signed the Single European Act to create a political union then.

The question is not why the SNP love the EU so much, since they have made it pretty clear why they support it. The real question is, why do UKIP and the Tories love it even more?

With UKIP it's pretty simple. Most of them would be unemployable if it didn't exist. It pays their wages.

With the Tories, the situation is a wee bit more complex. As a supposedly Great British party, who say they'll stick up for us all against encroaching EuroCommunism ( :P ), why did Heath join the EEC, and Thatcher sign the SEA, and then take us into the ERM with disastrous results? The Tories begged at the EEC's door for years. They then wanted to go further and join the Eurozone - why? Why did Major insist on signing Maastricht at the cost of his own premiership?

How left-wing can the EU really be when right-wing neoliberals keep acting like clown-shoe-wearing minefield-runners in their desperation to join the club?

Rhetorical questions.

That's one of the SNP policies I don't agree with. Whilst we're still one country we should decide as one country. A referendum on the EU however should trigger a further referendum on Scottish Independence.

And it's ridiculous for everyone to be forced out unless we all agree

Its ridiculous for England to have all the power and be able to pull the other three countries out even if they vote to stay.

Basically just the UK itself is ridiculous, undemocratic and has to be brought to an end soon

I'm assuming you also thought that the Scottish independence referendum should have been contingent on a "Yes" vote in all 32 areas?

That's one of the SNP policies I don't agree with. Whilst we're still one country we should decide as one country. A referendum on the EU however should trigger a further referendum on Scottish Independence.

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_514831.gif

Couldn't agree with you more.

(Assuming the referendum delivered a different result in Scotland from the rest of the country)

But we're not one country though, never have been and never will. We are a political union of four separate countries, or three and an occupied territory.

That's why the EU referendum should require the consent of all four, but the Scottish referendum didn't require the consent of all 32 council areas.

Archived