FM14 Champions League Challenge

ginge123

Saw a few people that thought this challenge sounded interesting on the big thread so thought this might be a place to keep track of progress.

​I read about the challenge on FM-Base and thought I'd give it a go. The basic premise of the challenge is that you have to win the UEFA Champions League with each of the 22 previous winners. It's a fairly easy challenge for the best part with only a few teams that'll take any real time, Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade are the ones that jump to mind.

​The previous winners are:

​Barcelona

​Real Madrid

​Bayern Munich

​Manchester United

​Chelsea

​Juventus

​AC Milan

​Dortmund

Inter Milan

​Porto

​Liverpool

​HSV

​Benfica

​Ajax

​PSV

​Marseille

​Celtic

​Feynoord

​Aston Villa

​Red Star Belgrade

​Nottingham Forest

​If you're interested in doing the challenge and tallying up points for the sub-challenges, i.e. 5 points for winning the CL unbeaten, then you can follow the link above and that should give you all that you need.

​You don't have to start unemployed or with Sunday league experience and in-game winners, i.e. those that win it from 2013/14 onwards aren't required.

​So far I've completed four full seasons with Red Star Belgrade and this is my record so far:​

Season      Club                  League                  Pos.       European Record

2013/14     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Euro Cup 3rd Qual
2014/15     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup Group E
2015/16     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup Semi-Final
2016/17     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup Quarter-Final

Looks interesting. I have an AC Milan save where I've already won it in my first season, but that was done with the free transfer database so doesn't count :( . My gaming time is currently being absorbed by Wasteland 2, but once I'm done with that I might give this a go to get me in the mood for FM15.

Just been spanked 6-1 by Spurs in the First Knockout Round first leg so there's very little chance of any progression this year. Group stages were great as well, I beat Ajax at home and Benfica & Bayern home and away. The counter attacking football I play was perfect for those games but Spurs just hammered us every time they came forward.

​There's always next year.

No bother man, that's why I posted this thread. I like reading the career threads but I'm the world's worst for keeping up my own. Case and point this thread, I'm like 2 seasons on from when I last posted.

Ok, so that's 2017/18 finished and we're probably about where we should be considering our squad. Again we dominated domestically but we didn't get any further in the UCL, although we were in fine fettle in the group stages. I'd posted earlier in this thread that I thought we'd struggle to make it out of the group stages this year round with such a high calibre of opponent, but we absolutely romped it with only Ajax causing us any problems on match day 1.

​I was genuinely surprised when Spurs beat us in the First Knockout round, and especially so heavily, but I was heartened to see that they made it all the way to the final.

​I'll be honest though, I completely shat the bed in the transfer market. For a bit of background as to how this came about you need to understand that at the start of the game Serbia are a non-EU team with a 4 foreigner rule at the start of the game. This changes in 2018. Running low on options in the centre of midfield having sold Aleksandar Kovacevic at the tail end of December I spent £7.25 million on Dinko Jervic from AS Saint-Etienne. Dinko Jervic isn't worth anywhere near that. Now the only rule is 4 non-EU players. There were so many other players I could have brought in for half the price who would have been so much better but them's the breaks when you don't pay attention.

Season      Club                  League                  Pos.       European Record

2013/14     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Euro Cup 3rd Qual
2014/15     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup Group E
2015/16     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup Semi-Final
2016/17     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup Quarter-Final
2017/18     Red Star Belgrade     Serbian Super League    1st        Champions Cup First Knockout Round

Another CL season down without success, the upside is that I'd say we're firmly established in the latter stages of the competition now. We absolutely romped our group, dropping only 2 points to Manchester United on match day 1, although we then humiliated them 5-0 at Old Trafford.

​Next up was Arsenal in the First Knockout Round, this for me was to be a real test of how far we'd came. 3 years before we'd absolutely smashed them at home but had been well beaten ourselves in the second leg.

jBcRRiF.png

​A 1-2 win in the first leg put us in a great position but history tells me that we have a real knack for managing to balls stuff like this up. We were also very, very lucky to score so late on.

​Second leg and with a history of failure against bigger teams I wasn't sure how this would go.

s2PhsPx.png

​A good win in a match that we dominated, but there were some very nervy moments at times. when Luuk De Jong scored for Arsenal I was on the verge of tears because I could see everything falling apart again.

There were a few teams going through I fancied my chances against, Olympiakos and Porto to name two of them. We got Barcelona.

1aGYjAR.png

​Fantastic result and gave me a bit of confidence going into the second leg. Given that we'd made sure in the second leg against Arsenal.

9Lq04S2.png

​A minute away from the SFs. I honestly couldn't believe it when Neymar scored it was so, so gutting.

​We won the league easily to make it 6 in a row and to put me top of the Serbian Football Hall of Fame. The Serbian Cup hasn't been such a great competition for us though. We've only won it 3 times in 6 years and have been put out by lower league teams a couple of times. It's mostly because it's not a particularly important competition but I think I'm going to start putting a wee bit of effort in.

​We're definitely the top team in Serbia, and certainly in Belgrade, Partizan haven't beaten us in the league for 6 years.

Archived