Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

• 2 weeks later...

Was at Sparta v Sigma on Saturday.  Plavsic looked really fun to watch as did Ben Haim.  

I thought that Sigma were an absolute gang, the red card changed very little for them as they were getting rode before it anyway.  

First time I've been at a game outside of Scotland, really enjoyed it.  The sign outside saying what you aren't allowed in is mad - no guns, no grenades :lol:

The ultras unveiled a big flag for David Lafata and then dropped it onto the folk sitting below them, then they got their pyro out and accidentally set it on fire when throwing the flares away 

IMG_20180522_235055.jpg

I see that due to UEFA's new line in Champions League stupidity and the decent co-efficient of the Czech league at the moment, Viktoria Plzeň will go straight into the group stages and stand to earn about 15 million euros before they even find out who they'll face in the autumn. The prospect of Plzeň (or any other team in their position) being able to access such a massive, guaranteed sum is likely to massively distort the domestic league in the future.

On 5/23/2018 at 21:00, virginton said:

I see that due to UEFA's new line in Champions League stupidity and the decent co-efficient of the Czech league at the moment, Viktoria Plzeň will go straight into the group stages and stand to earn about 15 million euros before they even find out who they'll face in the autumn. The prospect of Plzeň (or any other team in their position) being able to access such a massive, guaranteed sum is likely to massively distort the domestic league in the future.

Obviously I'd prefer it if it was Slavia, they will have to go through qualification to get to the champions league, they struggled to get any real quality to join them last year for champions league qualification, only Danny and Miro Stoch are still there, any money coming in from the champions league would most likely be "absorbed" by the parent company anyway

Slavia have a more diverse line-up than most Czech teams but Plzen are almost all CZ nationals so it would be a shame if they spunked the cash on some elderly duds like Slavia did. 

Looks like I'm enjoying 2nd League football next season. New announcement from Zbrojovka that the manager is staying in place too,  the guy who has never deviated from 4-5-1 with an isolated striker since his appointment (the team have taken six points from the last twelve matches, scoring seven times, one of which was a 4-1 win). Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Considering I'm the resident kit autist on P&B, what were the funkiest ones in the Czech leagues last season? Any clubs already announce their shirts for 18/19?

Despite having two iconic strips in Slavia and Dukla, Czech strips tend to be pretty dull, I'm quite fond of Hradec Kraloves though

dresy-fc-hradec-kralove-2017-2018---bile.jpg.b9875ee74c4bbb14372b6376784d761d.jpgdresy-fc-hradec-kralove-2017-2018-cerny.jpg.dde82fb4d2eb78ecd9098f9538143c97.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 21:29, DutchBorderer said:

Considering I'm the resident kit autist on P&B, what were the funkiest ones in the Czech leagues last season? Any clubs already announce their shirts for 18/19?

A couple of strips released Slavia and Jablonec 

DfH4Nl-X0AEqHbG.thumb.jpg.76c0b0b674b320b321ae513dee29e062.jpgmin.jpg.0d02a74f29129dedde574f449ea1d572.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2018 at 09:35, DutchBorderer said:

Slavia especially is a thousand times better than what adidas trots out for my Czech team, Banik Ostrava;

Had no idea the bigots were your team.

Anyhow, we return to life in the 2nd league by losing 1-3 at home to Jihlava. Outrageously bad and Pivarník's inflexibility of a 4-5-1 with an isolated striker and no shape changes are continuing to cost us. Still flabbergasted he was kept on. 

7 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Are they? Tbh they offered me a job on Football Manager and that creates a bond.

Another group they created a bond with were Kotleba's fascist party in Slovakia, as they're often there on demos alongside them. Can usually be seen at any 'anti Islamification' protests fighting with cops etc. 

Unfortunately I can't find their "BANÍK FANS f**k ISLAM" banner they had at Bohemians last year, that was a treat. 

• 1 month later...

The Czech top league are six games in so far. The traditional top three domestic teams, Slavia, Sparta and Viktoria Plzen all won the first four games but Slavia were the first to blink with a 2-0 defeat to Jablonec. 

Sparta have since drawn two in a row putting them in fourth behind Menzels least favourite Czech team and apparent racists Ostrava, who have former Liverpool and Villa player Milan Baros.  

This weekend, Slavia play Plzen at Eden and Sparta play bottom team Dukla. 

Slavia signed mostly domestic based players in the window and have retained the bulk of last seasons squad, they were unlucky to go out of the Champions league to Dynamo Kiev, they dominated both legs and lost 3-1 on aggregate.  

The early season form of Pepe Husbauer and Milan Skoda has been impressive, had Husbauer been playing like this 5 years ago he could have been playing for a bigger team in Europe. 

• 3 months later...

The Czech league has ended now for the winter break. Plzen and Slavia have been neck and neck for most of the season but Slavia go into the winter break with a four point lead. Sparta are really struggling this year and currently sit in fifth, 17 points  off the lead. 

Plzen have dropped out of the Champions league and have drawn Dinamo Zagreb, Slavia managed to to qualify for the latter stages and will play Genk.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Is there somewhere to watch games/highlights? 

There is the goly z ligy app that shows in-match highlights and most games can be found on a dodgy stream. Czech football has much the same deal for domestic football as Scotland, with O2 sport showing live games every weekend. 

• 4 months later...

The Czech League has a top 16, after two rounds of fixtures, there is a top six split and a bottom six split. The top half play each other once. The top three teams all get three home games post split. League points are carried over so it is not a play-off situation, the top team is Champion. 

It is the same situation at the bottom, after five games, the bottom team goes down and the second and third bottom team play off against the second and third team from the second tier. 

There is a middle section of four teams, they play-off against the bottom team in the top six and the top team from the bottom six for a Europa Cup place. In theory, every team has something to play for at the end of the season. 

Slavia won the league on Sunday, with Pilzen second and Sparta a distant third. Dukla were relegated and  Bohemians are just above the relegation play-offs with a game to play. Viktoria Zizkov, the 5th team in Prague dropped out of the second tier in a Falkirkian fashion. 

A good season for Slavia with the Europa Cup run, league title and the Mol cup to come.  

Capture3.thumb.PNG.d874d150b6dcf3ee4dc7a4b9d23f104a.PNG

Slavia bought all the away end tickets for the Banik game and sold them to fans for 1Kc this price also included a free train ticket on specially chartered trains. 

On the return journey they were joined by players who had brought their own carry-out.

Capture.thumb.PNG.c8f1c5450cb0d611917633fa6594934d.PNGCapture2.PNG.1ef0cd924cb0115f9f8fac4cbb039c5e.PNG