Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

You will be right ,I stand corrected ,I remember the cheering on the mini bus on the way home. The results from another game in the group came over the radio and the bus erupted in to noise! I'm sure you'll be able to tell me the teams and result!!!!!!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think first full international was 1970 against N Ireland we lost 1-0 to John Greig own goal. George Best played in that game IIRC. Was also taken to Ibrox to watch the UEFA Youth Tournament semi-final that year which we lost 1-0 to Holland. Rep and Neeskens played I believe. We had St Mirren legend Iain Munro which I'm sure is part of the reason I was there. Sadly we had Alan Rough too :P

You will be right ,I stand corrected ,I remember the cheering on the mini bus on the way home. The results from another game in the group came over the radio and the bus erupted in to noise! I'm sure you'll be able to tell me the teams and result!!!!!!

It was Romania and Bulgaria or something I think. 2-2 draw perhaps? Not sure and refuse to check.

We didn't have a game that day. It took place during a midweek afternoon.

And the decisive game was in our group.

Qualification for France 98 was confirmed via a result in Spain's group on the Saturday evening of our win over Latvia.

Mine was the 2002 World Cup qualifier at home to Belgium. We were 2-0 up and cruising, they were down to 10 men, but fought back and Daniel Van Buyten headed in the equaliser with 2 minutes left. Absolutely gutting.

My first away was in Brussels in that campaign too. We'd drawn 0-0 with Croatia on the Saturday and really needed to win to have any chance, but we were rotten and lost 2-0. 15,000 of us were over there too. Great trip apart from the result.

Apologies for the reddie. Fat fingers on the Kindle as I went to quote. I'll square it up elsewhere. As for your distant memory, was that the famous Willie Donachie own goal against Wales? A bit of foreshadowing for the calamitous campaign in Argentina, where our very own Willie Harkness played a starring role.

Nah probs.

Now that you mention it I think it was Donkey against Wales.

Archived