Creationism - should it be taught in schools?

~~~

Science always expects there to be space for doubt because the universe has turned out so much weirder than we ever expected. 110 years ago everyone would have said that Newtons laws were as good as proven, but then we discovered they were only a special case of a much wider set of laws when Einstein demonstrated special relativity then general relativity.

Back then almost everyone would have told you that light was a wave, we had proven it solidly. But in 1904 Einstein demonstrated it was a particle. Later we realised it was both and neither. Then we discovered that electrons were waves and particles and soon everything was really a wave and a particle....

We regard science as being our current best guess at what the universe is like. Some guesses are more cerain to be unlikely to change than others. But almost any scientist will disdainfully tell you that proof is for maths.

I'm not sure which part of that you think contradicts anything I've said on this thread.

The reality is that the word 'proof' is pretty commonly used to mean strong or overwhelming evidence. Obviously any decent scientist would be aware of the distiction between strong or overwhelming evidence and absolute proof.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We regard science as being our current best guess at what the universe is like. Some guesses are more cerain to be unlikely to change than others. But almost any scientist will disdainfully tell you that proof is for maths.

Spot on, what's your subject if I may make so bold.

If there is one thing I am evangelical about its about getting people to listen to the infinite monkey cage podcasts.

Really funny, accessible introduction to physics and other less important things.

Right. That's you causing the revival of the moribund Radio 4 thread ;)

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/190055-whats-good-on-radio-4/page-2#entry8949300

What utter bollocks :lol:

I'm hoping this is a reaction to the 'only subject' bit rather than the RE bit? As an RE teacher I'm always ready to pounce at the slightest hint of RE bashing! All subjects should be teaching critical thinking, it's one of the main principals of education surely?

'Actively encouraged' as in, that's the whole point of the subject. My experience of school (and I mean secondary school here) was mostly just learning a list of stuff to memorise in order to pass an exam, although admittedly I probably had pretty shite teachers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived