The Louden Tavern

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can picture the QC walking about with smiley cards and holding them up to show what his various expressions/emotions are.

Picture this smiley Benny, :lol: and think of me doing this at your fans holding up red cards to liquidation and losing all that history Chucky bought for a poond.

there is 3 , the one on duke street used to be owned by the same person who owns the one at Ibrox . there is also one at kinning park. as far as I know he no longer owns the one in duke street and the kinning park one I am not sure about.

He owns/runs the Stadium Louden, doesn't have anything to do with the the Duke St or The Kinning Park bars anymore, like you said earlier, he doesn't stand for any nonsense or dodgy songs and never has.

But this is a thread about the Louden Tavern. No need for whataboutery.

Pointing out that there are scummy cnuts on both sides is fair comparison. The Tavern's a shithole, so is bar'67, Brazen head etc.

HTH.

least it is still open for business unlike those terrorist supporting cesspits of violence bairds and the foggy dew. :)

When the Foggy Dew opened, the only songs allowed were purely folk music. Anyone giving it the "ooh ah Up The RA" and what not, were told to leave.

How about songs which technically aren't sectarian but are still all about the troubles in NI or the history which went before it? How about flute bands?

I'll be honest, I'm rushing to judgement since I've never been in the place but the mere look of the place puts me off.

While almost every pub in Glasgow is classed as a rangers or celtic pub, the louden and bairds were the only two that really tried to be branded as such and they semmed to attract a particular type of walloper.

Pushing it a bit with the "almost every pub", very few pubs are viewed in that way in my opinion. The owners of both Bairds Bar and the Louden were pretty close. Whenever Celtic won the league bottles of Champagne were sent to the Louden courtesy of Bairds and vice versa whenever rangers won the league. Kegs were also sent back and forth if one pub had ran out and the other had spare. I always wondered how the idiots who would drink in both pubs would feel if they knew what was going on.

One can only hope the Louden would. Did the Glaswegian not get it for being a sectarian cesspit like bairds?

Aye. Pub Licencing Board apparently were greeted with a pub sing along of "F*ck the Pope" and the likes. Think one of the reasons that also went against the pub was their excuse of how they weren't able to control what patrons would sing. Think it has opened and shut a few times since then with different owners/name. The Waterside I think it is now. The pub across the road is decent enough actually, the Laurieston Bar (?). I always got the feeling that the loons would head to the Glaswegian and the normal folk would drink in the Laurieston.

I take it you have never heard of the Bristol Bar then it's a kind of up market Louden like the louden which attracts a particular brand within the Sevco support much like the type we had thrust apon the citizens of Glasgow in the aftermath of the referendum in George Square whilst the bristol type wear knickers with their fur coats. :unsure:

Do the Bristol and the Louden still knock the shite out of each other? Or did the charity football match put an end to that?

Pointing out that there are scummy cnuts on both sides is fair comparison. The Tavern's a shithole, so is bar'67, Brazen head etc.

HTH.

Changed days now I suppose, but you need to question what sort of clown would drink in a pub with bullet proof windows and one that was regularly watched by Special Branch. Absolute shitehole of a pub.

Aye. Pub Licencing Board apparently were greeted with a pub sing along of "F*ck the Pope" and the likes. Think one of the reasons that also went against the pub was their excuse of how they weren't able to control what patrons would sing. Think it has opened and shut a few times since then with different owners/name. The Waterside I think it is now. The pub across the road is decent enough actually, the Laurieston Bar (?). I always got the feeling that the loons would head to the Glaswegian and the normal folk would drink in the Laurieston.

Lauriston is OK, the Rangers fans are in the pub just down from the lauriston.

Changed days now I suppose, but you need to question what sort of clown would drink in a pub with bullet proof windows and one that was regularly watched by Special Branch. Absolute shitehole of a pub.

You know your watering holes well.

Sou'Western isn't it? Not sure how much truth there is to this, but a guy I used to work with once told me that the pub was once seen as a Celtic pub.

:lol:

Aye, I find it handy to know which pubs to avoid a chibbing.

Ahhh The Souwester the clientele of the old Glaswegian moved there when it closed. Just an observation whilst going about my occupation I have always found that going into some of the Bars mentioned when entering a Bar with lets say with a leaning toward Sevco I have always felt that I was being observed and measured up throughout my visit on the other hand I have never felt that whilst I visiting a Celtic leaning Bar and I have to visit quite a few over the year. I also must point out that I am not a drinker and do not frequent Bars as a rule.

eta; The Laurieston is a quiet and a very well run Bar which is on the Sub-Crawl List and worth a visit.

The Glaswegian became the Waterfront. Was in the latter the night it opened a few years ago as there was a band on nearby, and the place was fine. Spoke to the owner and he said that he wanted to change the clientele. "Best of luck with that", I thought. Went in before another band a couple of months later and the "clientele" was the worst of what the Jolly Gers can offer. Still finished my pint, mind you, but when the barmaid clambered over to bar to join in with the dancing on the tables to "Penny Arcade", I decline the offer of another drink. Horrible experience. Think it's shut again.

The Glaswegian became the Waterfront. Was in the latter the night it opened a few years ago as there was a band on nearby, and the place was fine. Spoke to the owner and he said that he wanted to change the clientele. "Best of luck with that", I thought. Went in before another band a couple of months later and the "clientele" was the worst of what the Jolly Gers can offer. Still finished my pint, mind you, but when the barmaid clambered over to bar to join in with the dancing on the tables to "Penny Arcade", I decline the offer of another drink. Horrible experience. Think it's shut again.

When I pass it on the way to the city is seems so.

• 8 months later...

The Louden Bar in Duke St many many years ago wasn't a Rangers pub.

As an old corpy worker i clearly the remember Celtic fans going into it after a game.

The Rangers bars were the Bristol and the Gateside (Gateside St) around the corner.

The Rangers fans moved in when the Gateside closed down.

The only place i saw King Billy painted on a gable wall in Glasgow was McIntosh St off Duke St at the Eastern District hospital next to Tennents Brewery.

The old church across the road had a bit of history going way back in the old fire and brimstone Billy or a Dan stakes.

It's now something to do with the Social Work.

Things you saw from a 35 bus.

The Louden Bar (Copland Rd) was the old Stadium Bar.

It had a bit of a serious rap years back of being a non Rangers bar outside of matchdays.

The Glaswegian pre the football crowd was a great darts pub.

It had nothing to do with football.

For years the person living directly above it had a statue of the "Virgin of Prague" at the window.

Always thought that was slightly surreal.

One last wee odd piece of history, as you leave the Clyde Tunnel at Dumbarton Rd your roughly at the old Whiteinch Cross.

It's claim to fame or infamy depending on your viewpoint if you have one was, it was the only place in Scotland that had a bonfire to celebrate the Apprentice Boys of Derry shutting of the gates at the 12th of August.

Only saying like.

No offence intended.

Archived