Great Continental Railway Journeys

Quitongo's Left Peg

Anyone else a fan?

Have had a hectic few weeks so just able to settle down and start watching the new series on the iPlayer. Both of the first two episodes are available. Episode 1 is in Russia - Tula to St Petersburg, including a lovely wee visit to Tolstoy's 'manor'. I remember Jonathan Dimbleby going to the same place in his excellent "Russia - A Journey" series. Such a fascinating country and I can't get enough of it.

I always thought that Michael Portillo was a bit of a w****r, but he's perfectly suited to this show IMO. Eccentric, old fashioned, intelligent - the perfect host to follow a Bradshaw's Guide around. As an aside, I noticed that WH Smith's have started stocking the Bradshaw's Guides and that they've entered the Amazon Top Sellers lists on the back of this and Great British Railway Journeys.

I can't help thinking portillo is a total wally walking about with that wee book under his arm.

Fast forward and we are now relying on GPS and have abandoned books and maps which keep us in our comfort zone, Portillo is trying to portray what Bradshaw (who was a trail blazer) experienced in the days before the truly unreliable Trip Advisor.

Archived