Battlestar Galactica

milton75

• 8 years later...

I'm re-watching the remake - available on the iPlayer. 

Just finished the two-parter "Home" in series 2, when the show was really hitting its stride. I think it loses something after "New Caprica" though.

On 24/05/2023 at 10:49, scottsdad said:

I'm re-watching the remake - available on the iPlayer. 

Just finished the two-parter "Home" in series 2, when the show was really hitting its stride. I think it loses something after "New Caprica" though.

Occupation, the Exodus episodes and Collaborators from Season 3 are superb. I agree the show didn't hit those heights again and became more focused on the mysticism around the Cylons. The reveal of the final 5 Cylons really badly affected the show and wonder if those final 5 were chosen at the outset or a decision made later on. 

My favourite ever BSG episode is the "first" one actually following the mini-series - 33. There can't be many shows to have the every first episode be so strong and set such a high bar. 

on the new BSG, a few months ago I was watching the excellent Pegasus episodes and thought would re-watch the original episodes that featured the Pegasus and Admiral/Commander Cain - played by Lloyd Bridges. I was surprised (in a good way!) by the number of similarities in the story lines.....

59 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Occupation, the Exodus episodes and Collaborators from Season 3 are superb. I agree the show didn't hit those heights again and became more focused on the mysticism around the Cylons. The reveal of the final 5 Cylons really badly affected the show and wonder if those final 5 were chosen at the outset or a decision made later on. 

My favourite ever BSG episode is the "first" one actually following the mini-series - 33. There can't be many shows to have the every first episode be so strong and set such a high bar. 

They had no clue who the final five would be. They had a meeting when making season 3 and decided who it would be. Might explain why it was so badly done - I mean, Saul Tigh! 

I watched the first of the new Pegasus ones last night. Quality. Complete and utter quality. 

"I'm getting my men" - chills. 

• 1 month later...

Finished the latest binge of this show. Will be back again in 3-4 years. 

In summary:

Season 1 and miniseries - very good. Really grabs you and sucks you in.

Season 2 - the very best. The best storylines, the best drama, everything. 

Season 3 - the wheels come off. Between the New Caprica opener and the Baltar trial, we have about 10 episodes of utter dross. Adama reminiscing about his dead ex-wife for an episode. A doctor killing patients because he doesn't like 'em. Dull. The finaly was a genuine WTF moment though, with the four cylons revealed and Starbuck back. 

Season 4 - a bit better. Finding Earth and it turning out to be a bomb site was a nice twist. The mutiny was excellent. The cylon civil war was a bit meh. And the show rally dug itself in a hole with the resurrected Starbuck and angels pish. 

As bad as some of the choices were, the reveal of the final five with Bear McCreary arrangement of All Along the Watchtower and the look of bewilderment on their faces was just an outstanding moment of TV. Bringing Starbuck back wasn't brilliant but then I again I really quite fancied her at the time so from that point of view it was a great decision!

On 28/06/2023 at 14:47, Salvo Montalbano said:

As bad as some of the choices were, the reveal of the final five with Bear McCreary arrangement of All Along the Watchtower and the look of bewilderment on their faces was just an outstanding moment of TV. Bringing Starbuck back wasn't brilliant but then I again I really quite fancied her at the time so from that point of view it was a great decision!

It’s in the fracking ship!

The remake has its flaws, but there are some absolutely incredible episodes. The Starbuck thing didnt really do the show justice, but its more than made up for by some real quality. One of the best episodes of any TV show is the one where they need to jump every 37 minutes and the impact it has on the Viper pilots and the crew. Such a tightly plotted episode. The sense of the pilots struggling to keep it together on their stimulants is really well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching the original. Explaining to Scott that this was how tv was done in the 70s.

One character is a prostitute one week, and a nurse the next. No problemo.

A "centon" is a year one episode and a year the next. No worries. 

The robot dog is actually a monkey covered in carpet off cuts and duct tape. Easy easy. 

You think you can see the wires but you're wrong. 

On 26/05/2023 at 11:12, KingRocketman II said:

On 03/07/2023 at 19:54, BallochSonsFan said:

The remake has its flaws, but there are some absolutely incredible episodes. The Starbuck thing didnt really do the show justice, but its more than made up for by some real quality. One of the best episodes of any TV show is the one where they need to jump every 37 minutes and the impact it has on the Viper pilots and the crew. Such a tightly plotted episode. The sense of the pilots struggling to keep it together on their stimulants is really well done.

every 33 mins : ))

5 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

after much (well a few days) deliberation, I ended up getting an old school centurion tattoo the other month. 

My wife, who knows nothing about BSG and has never watched one single second of it (never mind an episode) says it looks like a toaster😄

Any chance of a pic? That sounds awesome. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mathematics said:

The series which could be in the top 5 of worst series endings ever, along with Dexter and Game of Thrones.

Haha aye, was pretty rank.

Enjoyed the battle at the big cylon ship but the whole nonsense about them settling on Earth ages ago was pish, and the suggestion that different areas of the planet (including the lad going to Scotland!) were settled by the folk from Galactica was nonsense. The stuff of Starbuck (the best character in the show) being an 'angel' was fucking ludicrous and set the scene for silly pish to follow.

On 19/08/2023 at 15:31, mathematics said:

The series which could be in the top 5 of worst series endings ever, along with Dexter and Game of Thrones.

If they cut out the last 2 minutes, in modern day New York, it would be 100 times better. 

Worst ending has to go to Star Trek Enterprise