East Reconstruction

Fife Journeyman

I know this has been discussed too death and a lot of people are happy with the way it works just now but there are others who arent,

At the end of this season that will be 2 seasons since last reconstruction and there is scope for a new alternative if someone proposes.

Is everyone happy with the current set up or would they like too see change?.

I cant see how The Superleague as it stands benfits the Lothian Sides as surely instead of travelling to Lochee,Carnoustie,Hill Of Beath and Kelty they can have 4 teams from there own area that would generate better crowds as id imagine apart from Kelty the other 3 take very little away support.

Is it possible to go 4 regions? , Tayside,Fife,West Lothian,East Lothian?.

Would it be possible if we went back to local regions to set up Cup competitions like The Champions League and Europa Cups.

You could scrap Fife & Lothians and EOS cups and have inter region mini leagues

for instance top 4 from Tayside/Fife/E.Lothian & West Lothian split into groups of 4 ( 1 from each region ) and play mini groups and knock out,

This could also filter down to the next 4 from Each Region playing in same format and then filter it down so bottom teams from each region have the opportunity to win a cup.

I know im going too get shot down in flames with the above from the usual " your a dinosaur " brigade but interested in Fans/Committe/Players thoughts on this.

I know this has been discussed too death and a lot of people are happy with the way it works just now but there are others who arent,

At the end of this season that will be 2 seasons since last reconstruction and there is scope for a new alternative if someone proposes.

Is everyone happy with the current set up or would they like too see change?.

My only problem with the current set up is too few teams in South (by 2) and North (by 1) divisions. That's to do with clubs coming and going rather than structure though

Is it possible to go 4 regions? , Tayside,Fife,West Lothian,East Lothian?.

Would it be possible if we went back to local regions to set up Cup competitions like The Champions League and Europa Cups.

You could scrap Fife & Lothians and EOS cups and have inter region mini leagues

for instance top 4 from Tayside/Fife/E.Lothian & West Lothian split into groups of 4 ( 1 from each region ) and play mini groups and knock out,

This could also filter down to the next 4 from Each Region playing in same format and then filter it down so bottom teams from each region have the opportunity to win a cup.

You're going to have to spell out the benefits here - on one hand you're talking about going back to regions and on the other you're suggesting travel from Dunbar to Montrose (for example)

I know im going too get shot down in flames with the above from the usual " your a dinosaur " brigade but interested in Fans/Committe/Players thoughts on this.

We can argue the merit or not, but the above (if I read it right) isn't a "dinosaur" idea, by any means. Far from it

My only problem with the current set up is too few teams in South (by 2) and North (by 1) divisions. That's to do with clubs coming and going rather than structure though

You're going to have to spell out the benefits here - on one hand you're talking about going back to regions and on the other you're suggesting travel from Dunbar to Montrose (for example)

We can argue the merit or not, but the above (if I read it right) isn't a "dinosaur" idea, by any means. Far from it

Thanks for the feedback,

I know what you are saying but say for example.

Dunbar, Harthill,Crossgates and Forfar Albion are in a mini cup group. Crossgates are allready travelling to Harthill/Dunbar for league games so leaves a trip to Forfar.

This can happen in EOS if they drew one another. The only one it affects to an extent is Forfar Albion who would have 3 trips a season down south.

They would still have there local league games but i think to keep the top teams playing each other inter region wise 3/4 cups in group format would have competitive games with everyone in the region a realistic chance of winning a cup, Similar to Rugby Union with there European Cup set up.

So your idea is to have 4 district leagues, and replace the cups with a new EOS Junior Cup played as "4-groups-of-4" followed knockouts? Similar cups taking-in each 4 clubs in turn?

Would that not be terribly stale? You'd have no promotion/relegation, only the titles to play for, plus the question of which 4 you finish in to qualify for which cup. You'd also be mixing every club from the current cream of the Superleague to the current dregs of the districts in one division.

Looking in from outside, I was sceptical of the new 16-16-16/16 due to the additional travelling for the smaller clubs, but few grumbles seem apparent.

So your idea is to have 4 district leagues, and replace the cups with a new EOS Junior Cup played as "4-groups-of-4" followed knockouts? Similar cups taking-in each 4 clubs in turn?

Would that not be terribly stale? You'd have no promotion/relegation, only the titles to play for, plus the question of which 4 you finish in to qualify for which cup. You'd also be mixing every club from the current cream of the Superleague to the current dregs of the districts in one division.

Looking in from outside, I was sceptical of the new 16-16-16/16 due to the additional travelling for the smaller clubs, but few grumbles seem apparent.

Its only an idea Hibee thats why im asking whats peoples thoughts on current setup or any ideas of any alternatives, I dont think it would get stale as the leagues would still be competitive and so would the mini cup leagues and knock out, Too say put SuperLeagues in with dregs is a bit disrespectful. A lot of these "dregs " are struggling and it would do them the world of good playing top sides.

Just pointing out the obvious pitfalls of having standalone leagues and combining clubs currently graded over 3 levels into 1.

I take it these would roughly be the new leagues?

Lothian League (13) - Arniston Rangers, Bonnyrigg Rose, Broxburn Athletic, Edinburgh Utd, Dalkeith Thistle, Dunbar, Haddington, Livingston Utd, Musselburgh, Newtongrange Star, Penicuik Athletic, Pumpherston, Tranent

Linlithgowshire League (13) - Armadale Thistle, Bathgate Thistle, Blackburn Utd, Bo'ness Utd, Camelon, Falkirk, Fauldhouse Utd, Harthill Royal, Linlithgow Rose, Sauchie, Stoneyburn, West Calder, Whitburn

Fife & Perthshire League (18) - Crossgates Primose, Dundonald Bluebell, Glenrothes, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Jeanfield Swifts, Kelty Hearts, Kennoway Star Hearts, Kinnoull, Kirkcaldy YM, Lochgelly Albert, Lochore Welfare, Luncarty, Newburgh, Oakley Utd, Rosyth, St Andrews, Scone Thistle, Thornton Hibs

Tayside League (17) - Arbroath Victoria, Blairgowrie, Brechin Victoria, Broughty Athletic, Carnoustie Panmure, *Coupar Angus, Dundee NE, Dundee Violet, Downfield, East Craigie, Forfar Albion, Forfar WE, Kirremuir Thistle, Lochee Harp, Lochee Utd, Montrose Roselea, Tayport

Just pointing out the obvious pitfalls of having standalone leagues and combining clubs currently graded over 3 levels into 1.

I take it these would roughly be the new leagues?

Lothian League (13) - Arniston Rangers, Bonnyrigg Rose, Broxburn Athletic, Edinburgh Utd, Dalkeith Thistle, Dunbar, Haddington, Livingston Utd, Musselburgh, Newtongrange Star, Penicuik Athletic, Pumpherston, Tranent

Linlithgowshire League (13) - Armadale Thistle, Bathgate Thistle, Blackburn Utd, Bo'ness Utd, Camelon, Falkirk, Fauldhouse Utd, Harthill Royal, Linlithgow Rose, Sauchie, Stoneyburn, West Calder, Whitburn

Fife & Perthshire League (18) - Crossgates Primose, Dundonald Bluebell, Glenrothes, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Jeanfield Swifts, Kelty Hearts, Kennoway Star Hearts, Kinnoull, Kirkcaldy YM, Lochgelly Albert, Lochore Welfare, Luncarty, Newburgh, Oakley Utd, Rosyth, St Andrews, Scone Thistle, Thornton Hibs

Tayside League (17) - Arbroath Victoria, Blairgowrie, Brechin Victoria, Broughty Athletic, Carnoustie Panmure, *Coupar Angus, Dundee NE, Dundee Violet, Downfield, East Craigie, Forfar Albion, Forfar WE, Kirremuir Thistle, Lochee Harp, Lochee Utd, Montrose Roselea, Tayport

That looks horrific lol, let's wind the clock back 30 years.

That looks horrific lol, let's wind the clock back 30 years.

This.

The world has moved on - live EPL or SPL football kicking off at Noon or close to Noon has had far more of an impact on attendance than moving the likes of Lochore and Lochgelly into different leagues has had.

It was the "smaller" clubs in the district leagues that pushed for the 4 league setup anyway.

Leave the super league an premier league as it is an go back to regional leagues, lochore an Lochgelly are 3 miles apart but play in different leagues which is crazy, the travelling, lack of supporters, lack of interest in some games, will make it harder for clubs to continue

Given what's happening at the bottom of the Premier, I think there's a fair probability that Lochgelly and Lochore will be in the same league next season. Sorted :)

Its only an idea Hibee thats why im asking whats peoples thoughts on current setup or any ideas of any alternatives, I dont think it would get stale as the leagues would still be competitive and so would the mini cup leagues and knock out, Too say put SuperLeagues in with dregs is a bit disrespectful. A lot of these "dregs " are struggling and it would do them the world of good playing top sides.

Think it's worth bearing in mind that there's a reason why the superleagues were brought in. Most people were of the opinion that the old regional setups had gone stale and that interest was on the wane as a consequence of that. The main problem with the latest setup is clearly how the dividing line gets drawn through Fife. A minor tweak that addresses that is probably more likely to gain favour than a complete overhaul.

This.

The world has moved on - live EPL or SPL football kicking off at Noon or close to Noon has had far more of an impact on attendance than moving the likes of Lochore and Lochgelly into different leagues has had.

It was the "smaller" clubs in the district leagues that pushed for the 4 league setup anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that lochore v lochgelly would have more of an interest for the locals, than let's say when we play lochee harp, or lochgelly v hart hill,

Leave the super league an premier league as it is an go back to regional leagues, lochore an Lochgelly are 3 miles apart but play in different leagues which is crazy, the travelling, lack of supporters, lack of interest in some games, will make it harder for clubs to continue

Yeah, but in a regional set up the line always has to be drawn somewhere. You could argue that Montrose Roselea or Brechin Vics vs Stonehaven would be of greater local interest than either of them playing Thornton, but thats just not how the regions operate. The most northerly / southerly / easterly / westerly teams will always be making long journeys in one direction, whilst there will be nearer teams just over the border in the next region. Fife teams are actually quite fortunate in the respect that if they get promoted to Premier & Super League they are slap bang in the middle of the entire region and should have the LEAST travelling to do.

I agree with the previous post about an integrated pyramid - that way for example Brechin Vics, Montrose Roselea and Stonehaven could all potentially have another derby with Cove. The more teams in the set up the easier it is to set up rational regions.

I’d wager that Lochore could request to play in the South if they so desired, it does seem daft that they were placed in the North to begin with. Looking at the tables as they stand at the moment, we could have three down to the North and one down to the South from the Premier (possibly all 4 to the North), so a club will probably have to be switched from the North to the South anyway to even out numbers, that will be Lochore (or Kirkcaldy or both).

You cannot have Tayside/Fife/Lothian regional leagues below the current Premier, they would be too small and promotion spots would be limited to one automatic, which was the driver to reconstruct the leagues in the first place (which was voted through overwhelmingly).

A return to the old ways is a non-starter IMO, I don’t want to be playing West Calder, Stoneyburn, Pumpherston, Livingston, Falkirk, Tranent, Dunbar week after week and I’m sure the feeling is mutual, the inclusion of trips to Crossgates, Dundonald, Rosyth and Lochgelly has been a breath of fresh air. Neither do I want to be in the same league as Linlithgow, Musselburgh, Newtongrange, Bo’ness etc unless we earned it via promotion, otherwise potentially the smaller clubs could be getting their arses handed to them on a plate most weeks.

We have achieved an ideal set-up which just needs the odd tweak now and again.

Archived