Question Time

Elixir

42 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

It was before this summer's vote, either the Mail or Telegraph, will see if I can find it.

ETA Here you go, it was from the Daily Telegraph, it quotes the source as 'government figures'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/04/health-tourists-cost-uk-taxpayers-nearly-6billion-in-eight-years/

So not entirely credible sources then!

I'm sure you've heard of the phrase " using statistics in the same way a drunk man uses a lamppost , for support rather than illumination " ?

6 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:
The UDA/UFF terrorists were responsible for more than 400 deaths. The vast majority of its victims were Irish Catholiccivilians,[10][11][12] killed at random, in what the group called retaliation for IRA actions or attacks on Protestants.[13][

A 1985 MI5 assessment reported that 85% of the UDA's "targeting material" came from the security forces.

IRA killed 600+ civilians. Does this mean they won?

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Agree that Brexit will undoubtably impact (£) on our Health Service, but.....we (The UK) have paid out £6.2 Billion to EU countries alone since 2008, in Healthcare charges for U.K. Citizens.
We have claimed back just £405 Million over the same period. The deficit, £725 million per year (fag packet maths) surely cannot be considered a minuscule amount?

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this, but surely you can't equate one to the other. To me it reads that brits use more healthcare abroad and so we pay more to other countries rather than Britain getting short-changed by £725m per year

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this, but surely you can't equate one to the other. To me it reads that brits use more healthcare abroad and so we pay more to other countries rather than Britain getting short-changed by £725m per year

Yep, fair point but even taking that into account (greater number of U.K. Visitors to Europe) the deficit surely wouldn't be over 15 times as much paid (£) out than received back into the Treasury's coffers?

It's still a huge discrepancy no?

So not entirely credible sources then!

I'm sure you've heard of the phrase " using statistics in the same way a drunk man uses a lamppost , for support rather than illumination " ?

Yeah sure, but it doesn't read like the £350 Million a week figure conjured out of thin air on the Brexit battle bus. I'm judging that it's a little more reliable hopefully.

The UDA/UFF terrorists were responsible for more than 400 deaths. The vast majority of its victims were Irish Catholiccivilians,[10][11][12] killed at random, in what the group called retaliation for IRA actions or attacks on Protestants.[13][

A 1985 MI5 assessment reported that 85% of the UDA's "targeting material" came from the security forces.

Try learning from more authoritative sources than Wikipedia.

And i actually meant the uda got mixed up with uvf, not surprised bigots like you are experts in the terminology of bigotry.   Wonder what the uda and srd band think they're defending against. 

The uda killed over 400 people btw,  almost all of them Catholic civilians targeted for being Catholic,  purely sectarian in motive.  It is estimated at least 80% of the info they used to target people was supplied directly by the British state.   The UK is the most vile country in the world. 

Whereas the IRA indiscriminately targeted women, children . . .

Whereas the IRA indiscriminately targeted women, children . . .

Former IRA Intelligence Chief, Kieran Conway wrote in his memoirs 'Southside Provisional' that the Military Republican Movement had colluded with, and received intelligence and assistance from the Irish Garda throughout the Troubles!!

Surprises all round eh!?

15 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Try learning from more authoritative sources than Wikipedia.

Because the authorities are a real trustworthy bunch who never sweep things under the rug to save their own ass.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

What are you actually slabbering about????

"Authoritative sources"

Like who? The DaIly Mail? The Daily Express? The Sun?...... Basically all of the sources that don't actually back up anything they say, but people like you are idiodic enough to believe anyway.