Question Time

Elixir

The English utterly shit themselves about immigration. its a wee shame

It's not an English thing. I work in housing in East Lothian and the reaction to Syrian refugees is utterly depressing.

On QT, this is diabolical tonight. Barely care what any of these clowns think.

It's not an English thing. I work in housing in East Lothian and the reaction to Syrian refugees is utterly depressing.

Would it not be fair to suggest that more concerns are expressed about immigration the further south you go?

Would it not be fair to suggest that more concerns are expressed about immigration the further south you go?

Probably. Though I find the attitude of a lot of people around where I work in East Lothian and where I live in Northumberland pretty worrying considering they've barely been effected by any negative side of immigration.

What? You want them to come here?

Probably. Though I find the attitude of a lot of people around where I work in East Lothian and where I live in Northumberland pretty worrying considering they've barely been effected by any negative side of immigration.

I've personally tended to find most opposition to immigration in areas with low immigration bizarrely.

Working regularly in England, Immigration is clearly a much bigger issue than here in Scotland. There's no doubt that towns like Luton, Boston, Slough and Peterborough have seen a huge impact on stretched public services and the local employment market since 2004 and a huge increase in numbers particularly from Eastern Europe. Surely most can appreciate the effect on increasing demand for school places, housing, provision of healthcare, job opportunities etc that such an unpredictable rise in immigrant numbers has contributed to. This is the negative side that is perhaps understandably highlighted before any benefits of immigration are considered.

The infrastructure to accommodate certainly has to be in place first. The In/Out EU issue won't change that. Access to European markets will come with the condition of free movement across borders. The desire to come here will be just as high even if we leave.

Why should a country which appears to be overwhelmingly negatively concerned about immigration and desperate to curb it be in control of the immigration policy of a country which is nowhere near as affected by immigration, and actually needs more people?

If Country A feels it is being "swamped" or "flooded" by immigrants and its neighbour, Country B, has a stagnant population in need of swelling, why should Country A get to impose governments committed to cutting numbers on Country B?

Why should a country which appears to be overwhelmingly negatively concerned about immigration and desperate to curb it be in control of the immigration policy of a country which is nowhere near as affected by immigration, and actually needs more people?

If Country A feels it is being "swamped" or "flooded" by immigrants and its neighbour, Country B, has a stagnant population in need of swelling, why should Country A get to impose governments committed to cutting numbers on Country B?

Are you going to do this right through to June 23rd on every single issue.? We voted to stay in the Union in Sept 2014!! you keep banging on about Scottish independence, it has no or little impact on how the UK will vote on Europe.

And who's fault is it that the infrastructure isn't improving?

The Labour Government of 1997-2010 enabled such an increase without having the proper finance, resources and support in place, successive governments have and still are struggling to bridge the gap.

Are you going to do this right through to June 23rd on every single issue.? We voted to stay in the Union in Sept 2014!! you keep banging on about Scottish independence, it has no or little impact on how the UK will vote on Europe.

Yes - as long as Scotland is a region and we're discussing reserved matters, I will continue to ask why a country should be bound by the decisions of another country (which you never actually answer, other than screeching "cos the YOONYUN"!). It is especially relevant to question this lopsided, antiquated system when a major decision is coming up in which Scotland's voice will be a minority.

Apologies if you don't like being reminded that you actively support Scotland being "Country B" in that analogy, bound by the electoral decisions of the larger "Country A".

Edited by Antlion