British actors in US TV series

Cardinal Richelieu

I've been watching quite a few American TV series recently, and what strikes me is how many British actors appear as Americans.

Avon Barksdale and Jimmy McNulty in the Wire, Lydia in Breaking Bad (who's actually from Glasgow), Rick from the Walking Dead, Brody out of Homeland, Dr House in er... House, and that's just off the top of my head.

Anyone know why this is the case?

Largely because those characters wouldn't really work if they weren't played as Americans. You'd be wondering 'why is a British cop tackling a British gangster in Baltimore?', or 'Why is a US Marine, and American war hero British?'

Largely because those characters wouldn't really work if they weren't played as Americans. You'd be wondering 'why is a British cop tackling a British gangster in Baltimore?', or 'Why is a US Marine, and American war hero British?'

I think he means why don't they just hire American actors. But obviously it's not as easy as that. I had the opposite, watching Peaky Blinders and saw Sam Neill with a Northern Irish accent, thought he was pulling it off ridiculously well for an American. Turns out he is Norn Irish and used his American accent in everything else I've seen him in.

Pretty much everyone in Game Of Thrones.

If we are extending to Ireland, Aiden Gillen is also in The Wire.

Jeezo. Never knew that Tommy Carcetti (sorry Jarkko, Aiden Gillen) is Irish.

Wayne Unser from Sons of Anarchy was born in Dumbarton!

Likewise! Absolutely fantastic piece of completely useless trivia.

Anyone got any more?

Archived