Annan v berwick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol thanks for the bite...all things aside it was a good game, we played our best awe season 1st half and youse did very well 2nd

Not looked at the stats but it must be close to even Stephens on games...looking forward awe ready to the away day especially after 'big george' has invited us mere mortals intae the inner sanctum of the berwick boardroom..cheers big fella it was a treat meet ye

I'm Eagerly awaiting Razor Bill's match report, but judging by his tweets it won't include words like unlucky, honest or endeavour.

Berwick have a Development league match on Tuesday which Cameron needs to use - and next Saturdays game - in a way that is a tad more radical than playing Maxwell And Russell because they had a decent game a few weeks ago.

Try Hoskins left mid. Partner Dargo with Henderson. Bring back Miller. Plug Currie's Knackers into the floodlights. Bring in the French connection. Play 3-5-2. Give Nils Bleakly the nod in goal. Give Gold another chance. Resign in a fit of pique, or at least show some fecking emotion.

Confidence in this team is at a new low with most fans I know. God knows what it's like in the dressing room.

We can still get promoted and have a wonderful journey in the cup, but Gawd this is surely the most frustrating season ever.

I don't see what you guys are moaning aboot, your just like us battling for 4th as that's the measure of us, albion, QP and Arbroath have slightly better players they will finish top 3. 4th on the other hand will be the real race....

I don't see what you guys are moaning aboot, your just like us battling for 4th as that's the measure of us, albion, QP and Arbroath have slightly better players they will finish top 3. 4th on the other hand will be the real race....

Aye but it's not really acceptable that they are, considering we have the second highest wage bill in the league and Queens Park finished bottom last year.

Aye but it's not really acceptable that they are, considering we have the second highest wage bill in the league and Queens Park finished bottom last year.

Have you got a time machine so you can travel into the future and see everyone's accounts for this year that hasn't finished yet.?

First off, Annan deserved to win this on the strength of a powerful first half performance when they blew us away. Going two goals down after 7 minutes takes some coming back from and when the third went it it felt like game over...........except that the home side did'nt really come out for the second half. We minced about for half an hour or so, with Lavery and Dargo missing great chances to get us back into the game before the late show. Credit for keeping on plugging away, but we were outclassed in the opening 45 when Annan were a couple of yards sharper and in Matthew Flynn had the best player on the park. I should also add that Colin Steven was appalling again and that the fence side linesman was either concussed or visually impaired. The Annan sub was a mile offside for the pen incident, and the decision not to flag Flynn, who actually started laughing when he was'nt given off, then came back from offside to force Bald into a great save, was incredible.

If we're in the same league as Annan next season, the 60 Berwick fans who travelled on Saturday could save themselves the effort and cost of traversing the Borders by simply sitting in front of the tv and waiting for "Annan pump Berwick again" to flash across the bottom of their screens.

Some harsh lessons for us on Saturday:

• Kerr Young is a massive miss, and Steven Tulloch, understandable rustiness aside, is no Kerr Young. His daft challenge for the pen late on was the kind that saw Johnny Fairbairn dropped earlier in the season. Imperative that Young is restored to the centre of defence as soon as his suspension is done
  • Scott Maxwell - Cameron put him out of his misery by hooking him 5 minutes before half-time, and to be honest, it if had been 5 minutes into the game it would'nt have been out of order. I don't expect to see him in a Berwick shirt again and it wouild make sense if the club were looking to move him on during the window. Ross Gray's welcome introduction was a big improvement
  • Darren Lavery is utterly wasted playing on the flank, especially wide right in Saturday's starting line-up
  • Did McColm's 3rd goal take a deflection? If not, it confirms the growing suspicion we need a new first choice keeper
  • Why did'nt Blair Henderson start on saturday after scoring a hattrick v Leith in midweek? He was a handful when he came on and took his goal well. Unlike most of the other strikers in the squad, he looks like he knows where the goal is

Most of us have been around long enough to know that you can't win all your games, but there was a real sense of frustration amongst the away support on Saturday at Berwick's continuing failure to beat the teams above them.

We've played 9 matches v the 4 teams above us to date and have taken 5 points from 27. And that's the problem. We're probably the 4=best team in this league, along with Annan. Barring miracles of biblical proportions, we're out of the reckoning for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places with more than a third of the season remaining. So in answer to the rhetorical question - what progress has this team made since Jimmy Crease or Ian Little were in charge? - the answer is "None". You could make a reasonable case that we have better players than those that were available to the two previous managers, and by all accounts we have a much bigger wage bill. Yet we're in a dogfight for the last available playoff place despite those advantages. That isn't progress - at best it's stalling, and that's why I don't understand the enthusiasm for extending Colin Cameron's contract. Maybe this isn't a team that's underachieving - maybe this is all it's capable of. If that's the case then a good cup run will not disguise yet another season of league failure. Look at what Gus McPherson is achieving with Queens Park and weep.

I have to admit I don't get the sudden reappearance of calling for the manager's head, a win on Saturday and Cameron would most likely have been well in the reckoning Manager of the Month. I expected 12/15 points from January. Unfortunately we bottled it against Montrose and got our usual pumping in Annan. If we get the 3 points we should be getting against Elgin, 10 out of 15 isn't that bad in my opinion - certainly not sacking form.

However, there are some perfectly reasonable points being made in this thread. I still retain the faith that Cameron & Horn are the men to do the job, but the chances of it coming this season do appear to be slim given our inconsistencies thus far. This month though, has had a couple of 'turning points'. Away wins have became a rarity so to get a convincing one at Clyde was nice, for example. Although our apparent lack of progression over the last ten years is ultimately infuriating given our considerable progress off it, I would remind people though that in this division it seems to always be the side who finish the best who get promoted. Stirling Albion were a fucking shambles of a side with fans calling for the gaffers head and went up, for example. There is hope still.

I do think the Spartans game will be key in the grand scheme of things. A win will not only give the team confidence but presuming a good draw, suddenly give players more motivation to get them starting places. I just hope the players turn up on the day. Given we managed to beat Albion at their place, I do have some confidence, but otherwise I admit to being a bit worried, because it's a very 'Berwick' thing to do.

What I will say is that if Cameron is in charge next season and we do fail to make the play-offs, I want to see more changes than we've made previously, a bit more ruthlessness. We're now in a position where we can let players that may actually find another club in our division go. It's time to take them risks. It seems widely acknowledged this is the most talented squad since 06/07, something I certainly believe, but I question whether the mental strength is there. In honesty, I think Cameron does too. But I'd like to see him given the chance to put that right. He clearly has the ability to get a side promoted. I know you can argue he had the chance in the Summer, but I think he needs more time. I don't want to see us get into a cycle of ditching a manager every year because we're pissed off that we had Jimmy Crease in charge for 5 years while we stabilised.

I know it is difficult at this level, but instead of going for youngsters with something to prove or veterans who can give you 60 minutes as we appear to have done last season, I want to see a couple of players in their prime years. The closest we've had to that is Paul Currie & Scott Dalziel. If our players of that age were actually any good and were leaders (the word that pops up time and again). I know there's been some questioning of the Notman love-in, but in all fairness, that's the type of player we need a couple more of across the pitch, for me.

I have to admit I don't get the sudden reappearance of calling for the manager's head, a win on Saturday and Cameron would most likely have been well in the reckoning Manager of the Month. I expected 12/15 points from January. Unfortunately we bottled it against Montrose and got our usual pumping in Annan. If we get the 3 points we should be getting against Elgin, 10 out of 15 isn't that bad in my opinion - certainly not sacking form.

However, there are some perfectly reasonable points being made in this thread. I still retain the faith that Cameron & Horn are the men to do the job, but the chances of it coming this season do appear to be slim given our inconsistencies thus far. This month though, has had a couple of 'turning points'. Away wins have became a rarity so to get a convincing one at Clyde was nice, for example. Although our apparent lack of progression over the last ten years is ultimately infuriating given our considerable progress off it, I would remind people though that in this division it seems to always be the side who finish the best who get promoted. Stirling Albion were a fucking shambles of a side with fans calling for the gaffers head and went up, for example. There is hope still.

I do think the Spartans game will be key in the grand scheme of things. A win will not only give the team confidence but presuming a good draw, suddenly give players more motivation to get them starting places. I just hope the players turn up on the day. Given we managed to beat Albion at their place, I do have some confidence, but otherwise I admit to being a bit worried, because it's a very 'Berwick' thing to do.

What I will say is that if Cameron is in charge next season and we do fail to make the play-offs, I want to see more changes than we've made previously, a bit more ruthlessness. We're now in a position where we can let players that may actually find another club in our division go. It's time to take them risks. It seems widely acknowledged this is the most talented squad since 06/07, something I certainly believe, but I question whether the mental strength is there. In honesty, I think Cameron does too. But I'd like to see him given the chance to put that right. He clearly has the ability to get a side promoted. I know you can argue he had the chance in the Summer, but I think he needs more time. I don't want to see us get into a cycle of ditching a manager every year because we're pissed off that we had Jimmy Crease in charge for 5 years while we stabilised.

I know it is difficult at this level, but instead of going for youngsters with something to prove or veterans who can give you 60 minutes as we appear to have done last season, I want to see a couple of players in their prime years. The closest we've had to that is Paul Currie & Scott Dalziel. If our players of that age were actually any good and were leaders (the word that pops up time and again). I know there's been some questioning of the Notman love-in, but in all fairness, that's the type of player we need a couple more of across the pitch, for me.

Agree that there is still enough time to rescue the league campaign, as per Stirling Albion last season (though I think it's too big a leap of faith to see us emulating them, plus this camapaign's top 3 are significantly better than last season's top 3). I'd also concede that we have played some attractive football this season, and we're capable of scoring plenty of goals. But.

Here's the billion dollar question - if the team was/is any good, and if our managers have been/are good, then how come we have'nt finished above 4th place since 2006/07?

The common theme for me, other than bog standard mid-table battles every year, is that we always seem to play with 8 men.

Now I appreciate it's all about opinions but we suffered Fraser Mclaren hiding behind the linesman for years, then there was Damon Gray, and Hoskins at left back and Scott Dalziel. Now we have Maxwell wrongly retaining his place and Russell living off 90 or so decent minutes before Xmas. Not to mention 2 iffy keepers and Josh Morris and Dean Carse getting way too much time in a 1st team shirt.

Mind you, last time CC picked the 1st eleven that I wanted, we got stuffed.

I'll get my coat then.

Good work from Dargo for our first goal and good header from Heanderson. I recall some Annan fan mentioned he was shit in the air?

I'm not going to mention the Annan goals. Awful viewing.

Several Annan fans would've had the same opinion. We had him couple of months the back end of last season and was the least influential centre forward I've ever see at our club! Which is why I bloody knew he would score on Saturday. And to score with his head was just taking the piss!

To be fair it must be hard for any manager going to Annan. Shoved in the corner about 90 metres away from any action for a full half. How do you manage that? It doesn't surprise me that the junior diddies seek any advantage they can get, but they should really be fined for it. Elgin too. A common theme amongst diddy clubs destined to return to the non-leagues, clearly.

Archived