Dumbarton v Livingston 24-1-15

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Formation today was a disaster Linton and van zanten are too slow to play at wing back. Mair is no longer championship level. Gilhaney was badly missed. Nish leaving is a disaster. He is a far better and effective player than some folk think. Without kane we have no natural finisher. I.hate to say as well that none of the under 20 boys are anywhere near championship level. God help me I'm starting to sound like OK III.

To finish on a positive note the goalie and lad from Celtic played well. We have seven days to find five decent players or we are doomed.

Well that was unexpected, having said that we've been creating so many chances in games without taking them eventually things where going to go for us and they have today.

I actually thought we didn't play that well in the first half, other than score it was all Dumbarton but with very little cutting edge, the only save I can remember Dj making was when Gallacher gave the ball away and he saved with his feet.

The 2nd half though we switched to 5 in the middle and looked to hit on the break and it worked perfectly, everytime we got the ball we broke quickly and effectively, Mullens pace was a real handful for the Sons defence and white really put himself about. You could actually see the players gain in confidence when the 2nd went in, the goals we scored where very good and for a change we where clinical and took them well, some goal by Keaghan too.

Thought Keaghan was easily the best player on the park despite his poor pass back to gift Dumbarton there goal, also a big shout out to Praprotnik who hasn't started a game started a game for us in nearly two seasons at being at the club and has only played 5 minutes here and there, thought he was excellent and broke a lot of Dumbarton's play up leaving Burton to pass the ball the way we know he can and Keaghan to get further forward and run at the defence.

Massive game coming up at home to Alloa now, that should give the team huge confidence today and with a chance to move off the bottom the team shouldn't need anymore motivation.

spot on

It was a poor game for us right enough. The difference in the teams yesterday was simple, Livingston took their chances and we didn't. The formation is a bomb scare. We saw Paul Martin loose his job rather than change a similar system when it was clear the full backs at the time couldn't play it. We saw Jim Chapman rescue our season in 2008-09 when he abandoned this very system and went on to win the third division playing 4-4-2.

If you are going to play 5-3-2 you need players who can play as wingers. Whilst Paul McGinn and Keiran McDonald are examples of players who could do this and could also defend when called upon, Linton and Van Zanten look lost playing it.

I hope that someone notices that we get hee haw from Linton's long throws. If we get a throw in in the opposing half it's almost the same as losing possession.

We badly need a striker which is evidenced by the BBC stats from yesterday's game. We miss Gilhaney.

dfclivi.png

If that's really the reason Nish has taken a hissy fit then cheerio. An average player and from the outside he seems an average coach. He's the last guy I'd make assistant, especially with an attitude like that.

I'd rather someone like Jason Scotland. Not sure he'll fancy it after seeing today's result mind you.

It was a poor game for us right enough. The difference in the teams yesterday was simple, Livingston took their chances and we didn't. The formation is a bomb scare. We saw Paul Martin loose his job rather than change a similar system when it was clear the full backs at the time couldn't play it. We saw Jim Chapman rescue our season in 2008-09 when he abandoned this very system and went on to win the third division playing 4-4-2.

If you are going to play 5-3-2 you need players who can play as wingers. Whilst Paul McGinn and Keiran McDonald are examples of players who could do this and could also defend when called upon, Linton and Van Zanten look lost playing it.

I hope that someone notices that we get hee haw from Linton's long throws. If we get a throw in in the opposing half it's almost the same as losing possession.

We badly need a striker which is evidenced by the BBC stats from yesterday's game. We miss Gilhaney.

dfclivi.png

6 shots on target from Livi 5 goals. I was thinking as the 5th went in that I couldn't remember Danny having a save to make.

It does highlight wonderfully where our biggest weakness lies.Taking our chances. If we could tempt Scotland in then he'd be absolutely perfect. He may be getting on a bit but you'll struggle to find someone who has scored goals so consistently throughout his career- his only bad patch was playing for Wigan in the English Premier League.

If we don't get (at least) 2 new faces in then things will start to look very, very ominous. Oh and we need to stop this 3-5-2 cum 3-6-1 nonsense.

Anyone know if Scotland is looking to get into coaching? The U20s role combined with playing may well tempt him in.

3 of our players yesterday started in Morton's 10-2 defeat to Hamilton. Is it just me who's slightly concerned by that? It might sounds ridiculous as individually Findlay, Taggart and Campbell are decent players but it certainly doesn't bode well signing the players who played at CB, CM and ST for a team who were comfortably relegated and humiliated at New Douglas Park. That's the spine of that dreadful team now playing for us.

Formation today was a disaster Linton and van zanten are too slow to play at wing back. Mair is no longer championship level. Gilhaney was badly missed. Nish leaving is a disaster. He is a far better and effective player than some folk think. Without kane we have no natural finisher. I.hate to say as well that none of the under 20 boys are anywhere near championship level. God help me I'm starting to sound like OK III.

To finish on a positive note the goalie and lad from Celtic played well. We have seven days to find five decent players or we are doomed.

Ha ha, I love the way you have a pop at me johnny and then finish on that note - contradictory or what ?

Nish apparently took umbrage at not being promoted up to first team coach when boozy left, walked out as a player and the 19s coach.

If that's the case, f**k him. He's supposed to be the experienced guy in the squad and an example to our younger players and he's quitting in the huff? He's our highest earner so hopefully we can get someone decent in that actually gives a f**k.

Shambles yesterday. I honestly can't comprehend the way we're playing. It's clear as fucking day that we're shite with 3 at the back. Get Mair to f**k, Graham and Findlay at centre half. CT desperately needs to get a good performance under his belt, he's been very wasteful with the ball this year and offered next to no protection for our baffled defence.

Fair play to Livi, took their chances and were relatively well organised. A real chance missed for us yesterday and some answers from the manager/club as to what the hell is going on would be nice.

If that's the case, f**k him. He's supposed to be the experienced guy in the squad and an example to our younger players and he's quitting in the huff? He's our highest earner so hopefully we can get someone decent in that actually gives a f**k.

Shambles yesterday. I honestly can't comprehend the way we're playing. It's clear as fucking day that we're shite with 3 at the back. Get Mair to f**k, Graham and Findlay at centre half. CT desperately needs to get a good performance under his belt, he's been very wasteful with the ball this year and offered next to no protection for our baffled defence.

Fair play to Livi, took their chances and were relatively well organised. A real chance missed for us yesterday and some answers from the manager/club as to what the hell is going on would be nice.

Will do...

I've been saying for weeks that surely we are due a meet the manager or something? Would be a start to actually get some answers maybe? Make or break this week. Last season and the one befofe our seasons' were made in January, but unless a lot is done this week, January has definitely broke us.

Muzz in the record saying we were excellent in the first half.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm seeing a different game.

I thought we did ok in the latter part of the first half. Although their goal was a bad one to lose for our perspective Live didn't offer much else to warrant their half time lead. Fleming should have done better when played through but the keeper did well to save. At half-time I thought we had every chance of turning it round, positivity that quickly evaporated with an absolute shambles of a second half.

It was clear the balance of the team wasn't right. We don't have the players to play with wing-backs. We did when we had the likes of Boyle and McGinn, but unfortunately these players are no longer with us and Linton and DVZ aren't good enough for that role. Linton cost us yet another goal yesterday, fast becoming a one goal per game bad habit.

The problems with the formation are blatantly obvious to those watching from the stand yet Murray persists. The flat back three has never worked and it's about time Murray recognised that fact and addressed it accordingly.

Plus points yesterday; I thought Finlay had a good game and looks a decent acquisition. Easton should flashes of promise but tired easily. Fleming gave a hard working performance and deserved his MoM. Very few others got pass marks, in particular CT who gave the ball away when under little pressure far too many times.

I couldn't care less the reasons for Nish's departure. If he's willing to throw in the towel so easily he was never that committed to the cause in the first place. What is clear however is that we are now down to the bare bones and Murray has a very big week ahead of him. We need at least two additions and a change back to 442. Next weeks trip to in form Falkirk could be 'interesting'.

Our biggest weakness is our defence. They are all too slow, Graham included, and its no surprise that Findlay looks a cut above. The defence has been woeful for eighteen months. Get that sorted first and the rest can follow

Aye, big Andy's defending for the second goal was astonishingly bad. Painful viewing. Findlay was the only bright spot in an otherwise dire performance, which was probably the worst we've turned in since promotion to this division. That second half capitulation was unacceptable, regardless of the formation/tactics, and it must be rammed home to various individuals that giving up is not an option when playing for this club.

For Ian's part, having only 4 substitutes is pathetic. I can't recall a time when our squad was this threadbare, even when we were plumbing the depths of Legaue 2. We must sign a left sided player and a striker this week at the very least. The decision to let Prunty go seems a bit naive in hindsight.

From being in decent form pre-Christmas it's now difficult to see where the next points are going to come from - certainly not next week.

Archived