36 years ago today

Grim O'Grady

Aye, by first killing his girlfriend then himself. Delightful chap. Certainly deserved a new thread.

Was never proven cos although he was suspect numero uno it never went to trial cos he OD'd. Now was it a suicide pact so he could be with Nancy or just unlucky?

He was/is a punk icon, for a music genre that hated icons.

Grimbo

If we are going by that logic then Jimmy Saville also was never trialled. Vicious even went as far as admitting to stabbing her.

Not denying The Sex Pistols were great, but all in all a bit of a scummy guy.

If we are going by that logic then Jimmy Saville also was never trialled. Vicious even went as far as admitting to stabbing her.

Not denying The Sex Pistols were great, but all in all a bit of a scummy guy.

Poor taste bring Savile in to it. The Savile case has plenty of witnesses the Vicious case not so.

Whatever you think of the guy he was the face of a generation.

Would you say Nancy was to the Pistols what Yoko was to the Beatles?

Grimbo

I hardly think he was the definitive punk. A bit of media about his latter exploits but his overall contribution was nil.

Sarge, not sure how you are looking at this? What was punk if it wasn't an attitude? Ok he was built in to something he wasn't fully but that's what the media has always done, story selling is how they make their money.

Whatever the truth he is still a punk icon.

Grimbo

Poor taste bring Savile in to it. The Savile case has plenty of witnesses the Vicious case not so.

Whatever you think of the guy he was the face of a generation.

Would you say Nancy was to the Pistols what Yoko was to the Beatles?

Grimbo

Just making the point your example doesn't stand up. Everything points to Vicious stabbing Nancy. The Yoko example also isn't really comparable.

Like the first album but the clash were better. I know he smashed a glass that put out a girls eye so not a good guy for me, or talented.

This. Again, Sex Pistols are great but The Clash were far the better band.

If you are taking the Clash on a music basis then yes but I'm talking about the Punk ethos. I've got the Clash in the car at the moment, on cd obviously, play loud.

Slaughter & the Dogs were musically more accomplished than The Pistols too but likewise it wasn't about just the music was it?

Grimbo

As much as I like The Sex Pistols, they, for me were just poser-punk in the fashion sense, and trying a little too hard to be edgy lyrically.

Sid was a talentless junkie. No more, no less.

Point totally missed.

Grimbo

Sarge, not sure how you are looking at this? What was punk if it wasn't an attitude? Ok he was built in to something he wasn't fully but that's what the media has always done, story selling is how they make their money.

Whatever the truth he is still a punk icon.

Grimbo

My point is the pistols had made their mark and were on there way to being icons prior to him "joining". I'm not sure he played on much recorded music. He became a media focal point which didn't represent much reality and helped develop an imitation of punk...much like the exploited.

Archived