Gun Control Poll

dufc1980

Guns  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why do you want them relaxed?

Because they're draconian, at the moment.

And I personally would like to own a handgun and/or types of guns that aren't virtually banned at the moment without having to be a member of a shooting club or regularly go hunting. I have a spotless criminal record, I'm as mentally healthy as is possible to be AND I don't even kill spiders (catch them in a cup and release them).

Wanting to own a firearm should be reason enough to own one if you have a spotless criminal record and are mentally stable.

However I've been informed by some delightfully insightful members of this forum that my wanting to own a firearm makes me a psychopath and inevitable mass murderer.

So probably for the best (because we all know you can ONLY commit mass murder with a gun).

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they're draconian, at the moment.

And I personally would like to own a handgun and/or types of guns that aren't virtually banned at the moment without having to be a member of a shooting club or regularly go hunting. I have a spotless criminal record, I'm as mentally healthy as is possible to be AND I don't even kill spiders (catch them in a cup and release them).

Wanting to own a firearm should be reason enough to own one if you have a spotless criminal record and are mentally stable.

However I've been informed by some delightfully insightful members of this forum that my wanting to own a firearm makes me a psychopath and inevitable mass murderer.

So probably for the best.

Ok. So if you don`t want to go hunting or join a shooting club, why would you want to own a handgun?

Ok. So if you don`t want to go hunting or join a shooting club, why would you want to own a handgun?

Because I want to own one.

And would probably quite often go target shooting with it (were such ranges to exist nearby), however I do not want to be a member of a club or make that kind of commitment.

I would probably go hunting too (though not with a handgun), however again it's not something I have the time to do regularly.

But let me guess.. That is not a satisfactory reason for wanting to own something which has the "sole purpose to kill"

"Sole purpose"

"Sole"...

From Wiki

Long-barrelled revolvers and pistols

"Long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols" meeting specified criteria are not classified as small, and hence prohibited, firearms; it is legal, with a Firearm Certificate, to possess them. The barrel must be at least 30 cm long, and the firearm at least 60 cm long, which can be achieved by having a permanently attached extension to the grip or butt of the firearm. Long-barrelled single-shot firearms of any calibre, and semi-automatic pistols of .22 rimfire calibres, are permitted with FAC.[28]

Edit: I don`t think something that is included in the Olympics can be said to be used solely for killing.

From Wiki

Long-barrelled revolvers and pistols

"Long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols" meeting specified criteria are not classified as small, and hence prohibited, firearms; it is legal, with a Firearm Certificate, to possess them. The barrel must be at least 30 cm long, and the firearm at least 60 cm long, which can be achieved by having a permanently attached extension to the grip or butt of the firearm. Long-barrelled single-shot firearms of any calibre, and semi-automatic pistols of .22 rimfire calibres, are permitted with FAC.[28]

What's your point, exactly? I did day "virtually" banned.

You still need the Firearms Certificate, which cannot be obtained without meeting the obscenely strict criteria (which even then often leads to rejection by police).

And wouldn't this loophole make the handgun ban rather pointless? When you could simply remove the extension if planning on concealing it (not that you can't concede long guns as well).

Once again draconian measures that only serve to make life more of a hassle for the people actually planning on following them and the law.

Do you think someone should need a reason to own a combat knife, Wasp?

I don`t understand why you seem to be so defensive in your answers. I`m not accusing you of anything, or calling you a muppet.

Edit: Would I be correct in assuming that you wouldn`t meet the criteria involved in owning a FAC? Have you applied and failed before?

I don`t understand why you seem to be so defensive in your answers. I`m not accusing you of anything, or calling you a muppet.

Asking you a question is being defensive?

I answered your question, I think it's you who's getting defensive.

OK

So do you think they should need a reason to own a combat knife?

Edit: I don`t think something that is included in the Olympics can be said to be used solely for killing.

Careful now, might not want to share that here.

Guns are for killing. It's their sole purpose after all, instruments of death..

Edit: Would I be correct in assuming that you wouldn`t meet the criteria involved in owning a FAC? Have you applied and failed before?

Well no, as I said I don't regularly hunt nor am I a member of a shooting club.

So do you think they should need a reason to own a combat knife?

Careful now, might not want to share that here.

Guns are for killing. It's their sole purpose after all, instruments of death..

Well no, as I said I don't regularly hunt nor am I a member of a shooting club.

That would depend on what they were going to do with the hunting knife i suppose. If it`s going up on the wall in their pad as a collectors item or just for ornamental purposes them probably not. If they were going to use it for it`s intended purpose then yes, as it is a weapon and they would be carrying it in public, i do think it should be licensed.

Why don`t you just apply for a licence if you want to own one??

Because as I've said several times now I don't currently fit the criteria for a license.

So if I just want to purchase a gun and keep it in my home, you think that should be allowed?

And if I wish to travel with it to go to shooting ranges I should apply for a license?

You can't carry any weapons that can be used to cause harm in public anyway, there's no license for carrying a hunting knife around with you.

Nor would a lack of a hypothetical license (nor the law against carrying offensive weapons) stop anyone planning on going out with one and stabbing people to death from doing so, obviously.

Edit - Not being defensive, just trying to ascertain where you stand here.

If you don`t fit the criteria for a license then just deal with the fact that you won`t get one. If you don`t fit the criteria for driving a car, don`t get a car, get a push bike.

If you don`t fit the criteria for owning a gun, don`t get a gun, maybe a water pistol would satisfy your desire to own a gun.

They can be brilliant fun -61IgIqKfWTL._SL1296_.jpg

A gun is not a knife just as a car is not a bike. Different weapons have different laws covering them.

You could always move to a country with more relaxed gun control laws, or even go on a shooting holiday every now and again.

OR I could call for those laws to be changed as I'm doing, vote for parties willing to change them. Argue my point with people whenever the subject is brought up.

You know, like people generally do with things here.

Now I appreciate your "accept it or shut up and f**k off" advice, and trust me if I could go and live in an American state with liberal gun laws at the moment I'd already be there. But since we're both not 12 (I presume in your case) we both know simply up-and-moving country is just a tad more complex than that.

In addition to that I might actually like to stay in my homeland, you know.

You`re right, I`m not twelve. I would hate to live in America, especially a state with liberal gun laws.

Are there many political parties willing to relax the laws? - Genuine question...

Why's that?

UKIP, other than that just fringe parties.

But I guess that must mean the status quo is correct, right, and those supporting it completely justified.

Because mainstream, pandering politicians are so right and trustworthy with other issues.

Archived